Top 10 Posters

I need help...strip piecing question

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 190
Toojennifer posted on Tue, Feb 19 2013 10:02 PM

I am making  a sew a row quilt where the current row is mountains.

You cut two squares face to face.  Draw a diagonal line down the center and stitch 1/4 inch on either side of line. Cut the blocks on line that you drew then cut strips out of new blocks to get varying "peak" heights to sew together into new blocks.

Here's my problem:

After i put these new mountain blocks together there's no seam allowance and the highest peak tops will be cut off when i join these new blocks into rows.  What am i doing wrong?  I followed instructions i thought carefully.

Any help would be much appreciated as this is really bugging me.

Thanks,

Jennifer

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:49 PM
Verified by Toojennifer

nana's right.    

you're over thinking this. once you put your seam on the second side, your point will reappear. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825

That puzzles me also. If you are leaving the 1/4 all the way to the top, where does your seam allowance go? The peak should be there. Have you tried sewing the mountain and there was no peak? Is that your question? I am a visaul person, so don't "get it" without seeing it. Maybe, and I know someone WILL have the answer you seek. Makes no sense to me, either. Post a photo. That will help you explain it and show the exact problem.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
2,829 Posts
Points 39,925
ls2116 replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 11:33 AM

I don't know the pattern but is it one where you have to start and stop 1/4 from ends to keep your seam allowance just a thought.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 190

Thanks - I'll post a pic this evening when I get home from work.  I'm pretty visual also. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 11:40 AM

Jennifer

Have you measured the square you made by sewing the 2 squares together?  Sometimes when you make HST squares the measurements get a little off.  Make sure that your seam is a scant 1/4" when sewing on each side of your center line.    I prefer to use the Fons and Porter 1/4" marking tool that marks the actual seam lines on each side of center.   Then I sew slightly toward the center of the lines.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 190

I will check that when I get home from work and will check into the Fons and Porter tool also.  I'm about due for a trip to JoAnn's with my 40% off coupon anyway.  (: 

Thanks much.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,876 Posts
Points 32,565
Roxana replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 12:11 PM

What is the Fons and Porter tool called?

Roxana in Arkansas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 12:48 PM

Roxana

I don't know exactly what they are called.  They come in a pack of two...one is shorter than the other.   They are 1/2" wide strips of acrylic with a yellow dashed line down the center.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Nana is talking about these.  I use mine a lot!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
199 Posts
Points 8,080

I use mine when I can find it....that sometimes is impossible.  I have been known to use a small quilting ruler and just laying the 1/4 inch mark on the outer points and drawing the line.  Just as easy and no need to hunt for that clear tool.

Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 190

Here are some pics.  As you can see the top peak of the block (actually to be a windmill or pinwheel looking block) is going to be cut off when this is sewn into the bigger block / next row.

And here's also a shot of the strips before being sewn together. 

Is this a cutting problem or a sewing problem?

Thanks, everyone. 

Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 190

Sorry - I don't know what a verified answer is.  I meant to go in and try to edit my post to make the pics bigger.  I'm new at this forum.  (: 

Jennifer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:21 PM

jennifer, i can't tell where the peak is going to be cut off.  it looks like they will be fine to me. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:22 PM

it's ok jennifer, it takes a bit to learn the site.  i've been on here for several years and i still don't have it all down.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:23 PM

Jennifer

These look fine to me also.  By the time you take a 1/4" seam on the side of the block as well as the top your point should be fine.   Have you actually sewn any of these blocks together yet?

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use