Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti Posted: Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:19 PM

Paula Doyle has a book out on mini mosaics and a simple method putting them together perfectly!  You can go to her website  www.greenmountainquilts.com to see a video of how it is done.  

This is the answer to a complicated small block of many pieces that I just could not get the all the little points and seams matching and in the right place.  And I thought I did a very good  scant quarter inch seam, but with all those little pieces, being a hair off can result in a less than perfect block.  And this method is so much easier and straight forward than paper piecing. 

by the way, she is from across the pond.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:58 PM

I was skeptical when I started watching the video, but when she got to the part where she fused the shapes to the interfacing and then folded and sewed the 1/4 inch seam, I said, "Brilliant!"

I think I'm going to have to order her book!  Thanks, Patti.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,420
Jacy replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 11:10 PM

I made a mini quilt like that maybe 8 yrs ago. If I had known about cutting the "tiles" , it would have helped improve my accuracy. I fused my 1' squares onto interfacing like she shows. This quilt is about 12" with 1/2" finished squares. 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 11:20 PM

Jacy:
If I had known about cutting the "tiles" , it would have helped improve my accuracy.

Boy Jacy, this looks great even without cutting the "tiles"!  Beautiful mini quilt!!!

I am tempted, but... I am sticking to my guns to work on landscape quilts as soon as I finish my current projects this year.

Ha Ha...if ever...

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 2:24 AM

Randy has been playing with constructing small boxes in his woodshop, and I thought I might like to try to make a mini to frame on the lid of one of his boxes.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,549
Points 51,315
Ginny replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 7:58 AM

Jacy, Love your sunflower mini quilt.  Absolutely love it.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:39 AM

Now, wait a minute here. I thought you said 8 kids? Where in the world, do you find time to sew these tiny squares??? You are a wonder, my friend. This is so beautiful. It boggles my mind, that it is so tiny. Lay this on a table and put something next to it that would really show off the tiny size. that, will help me to really understand the amazing feat you have accomplished!!

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825

Now, wait a minute here. I thought you said 8 kids? Where in the world, do you find time to sew these tiny squares??? You are a wonder, my friend. This is so beautiful. It boggles my mind, that it is so tiny. Lay this on a table and put something next to it that would really show off the tiny size. that, will help me to really understand the amazing feat you have accomplished!!

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,690
Points 120,870

Jacy:
If I had known about cutting the "tiles" , it would have helped improve my accuracy.

Jacy, your squares look plenty accurate to me. I took a class once on assembling mini's using the iron-on fusible grid. I have the block somewhere. Oh, I know, I used it as one of the blocks on a tote. I'll have to dig it out.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
jacy and judy t, I was so impressed with the tiny squares and am going to order the book. They are so cool. Jacy I think your sunflower is beautiful!! I am thinking we are our worst critics. lol

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,852
Points 366,467
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:51 AM

You can buy the interfacing with the grid already printed. It can get expensive if you're making a large project. I'm working on a Super Mario Bros quilt using this technique. When I say working on I mean gathering fabrics.

I've added this ebook to my library. Thanks Patti.

I think most of you know by now that I love working on a small scale.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,852
Points 366,467
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:53 AM

Jacy:
I made a mini quilt like that maybe 8 yrs ago. If I had known about cutting the "tiles" , it would have helped improve my accuracy. I fused my 1' squares onto interfacing like she shows. This quilt is about 12" with 1/2" finished squares. 

I love it Jacy. Looks pretty accurate to me.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,420
Jacy replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 1:58 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Now, wait a minute here. I thought you said 8 kids? Where in the world, do you find time to sew these tiny squares???

Sukochi, there are two VERY important words that have given me time to sew. They are NAP and SCHOOL. I decided many years ago to never waste nap time doing dishes, laundry, etc, nap-time for little people = sewing time for Mom. It helps preserve my sanity.

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Lay this on a table and put something next to it that would really show off the tiny size.

Ok, here it is with a regular sized quilt book and a 6x24" ruler.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,549
Points 51,315
Ginny replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 2:09 PM

Jacy,  I am even more impressed and love it more yet.  I love sunflowers.   Ginny

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use