What is stitch a ditch tear away?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,579 Posts
Points 139,858

Hi Aileen,

Actually these have two separate meanings. Sitich in the ditch is when you quilt into a seam so that the quilting stitches are hidden. If you have been recommended to use a stabilizer in doing this for your pattern, a tear away stabilizer is one that can be torn away after it is stitched through. I have never had to use a stabilizer when quilting a regular quilt, and don't know the circumstances that you would use one. I'd rather use a wash away anyday as they make them now in a tear away/wash away so that no filaments are left in the stitching. Hope this helps.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
201 Posts
Points 8,180

I made a quilt that had a huge insertion of biased edge where they recommended using a stabilizer for that piece.  It was suggested also that you just use a very strong starch to lessen the danger of stretching the bias.  I used neither, but also did not allow the weight of the quilt to pull the bias edge while I was putting the pieces together.  I had no problems.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
141 Posts
Points 2,165

There is a product that comes by the roll, that's a stitch in the ditch tear away...a lightweight paper that can be used to reinforce seams and then torn away...or perhaps more useful for drawing a quilting design on and then stitching through the paper onto the fabric and tearing away.  It's heavier than tissue paper and lighter than copy paper.

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,918 Posts
Points 41,020
ls2116 replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 6:22 PM

I"ve used regular tear away sold by yard  drawn motifs stitched then torn away but I've never looked for it on roll.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,038 Posts
Points 369,072
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 6:48 PM

stitcheraz:

There is a product that comes by the roll, that's a stitch in the ditch tear away...a lightweight paper that can be used to reinforce seams and then torn away...or perhaps more useful for drawing a quilting design on and then stitching through the paper onto the fabric and tearing away.  It's heavier than tissue paper and lighter than copy paper.

stitcheraz

I think you're talking about Golden Threads.

Top 500 Contributor
141 Posts
Points 2,165

No, it's Stitch & Ditch by ThreadPro...comes in a couple of different widths and I believe, a couple of different weights?  I've used the 8 inch wide and the narrow one that looks like a roll of adding machine tape, if anyone is left that remembers what that is... ;)  If you google stitch in the ditch paper or stitch & ditch paper, you should get more info.

stitcheraz

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,038 Posts
Points 369,072
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 7:18 PM

OK I'll look for that. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use