Top 10 Posters

ARE YOU READY FOR MQ8?

Page 16 of 20 (297 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 296 Replies | 82 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 530
Jennifer replied on Tue, Mar 5 2013 7:15 PM | Locked

Dara,

l that is nice of you to gather all the ifo for Nichole. It was very helpful to me as well and I'm sure it has helped many newbie quilters feel more comfortable joining in MQ8. So a big thank you

What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 9:16 AM | Locked

I have found that my scant 1/4 inch is not quite on, and perhaps a bit too scant.  It has worked very well, except for when I started doing lots of small pieces, specially with half square triangles.  Then it has not lined up as well as i thought.  So I need to practice more and measure the the completed seams until I can get it just right. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,467
Points 116,715
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 9:26 AM | Locked

Patti:

I have found that my scant 1/4 inch is not quite on.....

I have so much trouble with the scant seams. Until I arrived in Branson and am using Nanas little Bernina. It's wonderful. If I could figure a way to sneak it in my bag.........

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320
Bayla Singer replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 9:53 AM | Locked

I'm not even going to try scant seams!  I have enough trouble with quarter inch ... if I do scant seams, everything will just fall apart. 

I had trouble with the quilt I made for my granddaughter: the loosely-woven "quilter's cotton" fabric just raveled right out.  I wound up doing machine zigzag quilting everywhere I'd pieced; a virtue of necessity! 

-- Bayla, in changeable-weather Florida :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320
Bayla Singer replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 10:02 AM | Locked

ps -- thank heaven, it was a plain checkerboard design!  She made the satin yo-yo "checkers"; the brown print body pillow is really a rolled-up blanket on her bed.  She loves it, as amateurish as it is -- says she makes her bed every day just so she can look at it! LOL!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,736
Points 30,145
Roxana replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 10:52 AM | Locked

The Viking Designer Diamond makes perfect scant seams too if you set the stitch over to the right to 3 I think. I've tested it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:08 AM | Locked

Jennifer:

Dara,

l that is nice of you to gather all the ifo for Nichole. It was very helpful to me as well and I'm sure it has helped many newbie quilters feel more comfortable joining in MQ8. So a big thank you

Hi Jennifer and Welcome to the group!   I'm so glad you found it helpful.  As you 'wander' through the forums, you will find a great many people who do the same sort of things and go the extra mile for their fellow quilters.  I look forward to getting to know you and see what you create.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:19 AM | Locked

Bayla Singer:

I'm not even going to try scant seams!  I have enough trouble with quarter inch ... if I do scant seams, everything will just fall apart. 

I had trouble with the quilt I made for my granddaughter: the loosely-woven "quilter's cotton" fabric just raveled right out.  I wound up doing machine zigzag quilting everywhere I'd pieced; a virtue of necessity! 

-- Bayla, in changeable-weather Florida :)

Hi Bayla!   So sorry to hear that you've had raveling problems.  However, you are not alone.  I also had a few spots that pulled out on my early quilts.  For me personally, it was not because of the fabric, but because overall my seams were not consistent, and when I joined patches together, there was enough of a size difference that one block did not fully cover the other and my 1/4 inch seam just barely caught the edge of the second piece of fabric.  With time and practice, I have eliminated the problem.  Oh yeah, sometimes I still wind up with an occasional miss-match but now I'm not so hung up on "wasting" fabric so I just make another. Overcoming these little issues, I find, is as much fun as the actual end product.   Most of us, once we conquer one type of quilting, we go on to another where we are "newbies" all over again.  Please don't give up. 

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 35
Marty replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 6:45 PM | Locked

This is my first time attempting a Mystery Quilt.  How does it work?  Is it a block a month style?  I am considered an intermediate quilter and wonder if this would be to

overwhelming for me to attempt?  Any tips for a newbie to this forum?

Marty

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 115
RENATAP replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 10:36 PM | Locked

I am so excited!! I can't wait.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 2:32 PM | Locked

Marty:

This is my first time attempting a Mystery Quilt.  How does it work?  Is it a block a month style?  I am considered an intermediate quilter and wonder if this would be to

overwhelming for me to attempt?  Any tips for a newbie to this forum?

Marty

Marty--I'm sure that Nana will respond when she recovers from the retreat, lol!

But...if you don't want to wait.  The mystery quilts are a lot of fun.  Nana is AWESOME at breaking them down for newbies to play along.  It's not a block of the month, though.  We will be getting the fabric requirements on the 15th, along with the cutting instructions.  Then we will have at least one full week to get it all done. 

I'm not 100% sure of the schedule, sometimes she gives us a little longer to get the fabric and cutting done.

Then it's hurry up and wait.  Once we get the first sewing instructions, we will have one week to complete that step. 

For example, if we are making a 4-patch, her first step may be to take two non-matching squares and sew them together.  And to do that for the entire group (or maybe even just part of your cut stash.)  Then the following week she may tell us to take the two-patch and stitch two together to make a four patch.  We would have a week to do that step.  And so on until the end.

Many of the ladies do the block stuff, but hold off on the actual assembly until they have all the sewing done.  Then change it up.  I haven't been that adventurous, prefering to sew along weekly to keep up. 

They are a TON of fun!  And the fact that this pattern only requires two contrasting fabrics that read as solids (so no wild stripes, etc.), should be a TON of fun.

Join us!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,468
Points 362,032
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 3:01 PM | Locked

Marty:

overwhelming for me to attempt?  Any tips for a newbie to this forum?Marty

Marty visit the Mystery Quilt Workshop and take a look at past mystery quilts to get an idea of how things work. You can find the link again from the left side of the home page.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 3:39 PM | Locked

ACK! Just scheduled surgery for March 18th.  Will be out for about 2 weeks but will catch up I hope.  I think mine will be black and white so I can use up my stqash of those colors.  Nana will prints work as long as the primary color is dominate???

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 182
Points 3,865
Debi replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 11:57 AM | Locked

Just one more week! Looking forward to it. Trying to keep busy until then. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635
Bethiebear replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 3:39 PM | Locked

I'm a newbie, but want to try!!  I've done very basic quilting (baby patchwork).  But, I've got a friend that can help and I'll be making more friends in here.   I just know that I will be asking lots of questions!! 

I'm in Concord, NC, right outside of Charlotte!!  Wooohooo....I'm excited!!!

Page 16 of 20 (297 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use