Top 10 Posters

I need a new sewing machine that's good for machine quilting. Any suggestions?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 160
GinnyQ posted on Mon, Feb 11 2013 9:41 AM

I have two Kenmores, which are good machines, but I'm thinking a stitch regulator would be nice and more harp space; maybe a bigger table. 

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,706 Posts
Points 436,515
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:23 AM

Ginny

I have a Janome 7700 that I use for most of my quilting.  It has 11" to the right of the needle.  I suggest that you check to see what is available in your area and which sales centers have good in house service.  Then buy the most machine that you can afford.   All of the major brands e.g.  Janome, Pfaff, Babylock, Bernina, Viking etc.  are excellent machines.   It is most important to find good service and a dealer that will give classes on the machines.  

It is also good to decide which features are the most important to you.  Needle up/down, thread cutter, ease of threading, ease of changing feet, and the biggy for me throat space.  Good luck on your search.  I hope that you find the perfect machine for you.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,302 Posts
Points 414,089
gini replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:36 AM

hi ginnyq, welcome to the group.   i agree with everything nana says.  about getting a machine,  that is, not everything, everything.  you never know what's going to pop out of her mouth on other subjects.   :  )

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,706 Posts
Points 436,515
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:38 AM

Gini

You are a good one to talk about never knowing what is going to pop out of someone's mouth....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,302 Posts
Points 414,089
gini replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:40 AM

LOL

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,403 Posts
Points 115,630

GinnyQ:
I have two Kenmores, which are good machines, but I'm thinking a stitch regulator would be nice

If I were able to buy a new machine, the top features I'd want is a deep throat, at least 10", and a built in stitch regulator. My Viking Sapphire has a 10" throat and I can quilt anything on it but it is a struggle with large quilts. I really really wish I had a stitch regulator. I know the Bernina's have a model with one but I believe they are pricey. I'm going to be working until I'm 103 as it is, no more large purchases for me.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,776 Posts
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 11:09 AM

Giiny ,I do all my own quilting and I have a janome 6600, it has alittle smaller thorat space then the one Nana mentioned ,but it works great anyway , it has all the bells and whisltes ,I have gotten my stitches down so don't feel the need to have a stitch regulator but I know alot of floks like them,I just don't have the money to get one, good luck on your search , and I wanted to welcome you to the club. barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 160
GinnyQ replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 4:13 PM

Nana, Gini, Judy and Barbara,

Thank you so much for your welcome and your advice!  I really do want the stitch regulator because I've decided I'll never get the stitches regulated on my own.  And the big throat space is very important too.  What do y'all mean about needle up/down?  Don't the needles go up and down on all machines?? 

GinnyQ

Maryland

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,706 Posts
Points 436,515
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 4:32 PM

Ginny

Alot of machines now have a button to push that will keep the needle in the down position when you stop sewing.   This is great when you are Free Motion Quilting because it keeps things from moving before you are ready.  I hope this makes sense because I am not sure at present if anything I type makes sense....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 160
GinnyQ replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 6:37 PM

It sort of makes sense.  I guess I would have to see it to really get it.  Thank you.  I

Top 150 Contributor
Female
508 Posts
Points 7,995
Joyce replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 7:22 PM

Nana I agree with you.  I bought a Viking Sapphire 835 a year ago Christmas.  Took the classes then didn't get to use it (taking care of my mom) so I just attended another free class on how to use the machine and hopefully go to the 2nd one on Fri.  The classes were very important to me.  Also the throat space is 10 or 11 inches.  I love that feature.  I wish my machine had a bobbin warning when it runs out though.

Joyce

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:28 PM

If you are going to continue using your Kenmores for piecing, you might look at the HQ Sweet Sixteen for your quilting needs.  It has a stitch regulator and a 16 inch throat and a wonderful big table for sliding your quilt top across.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

OMG MNnancy I want one of these sweet machines. Of course as always funds are not available for one, but if I had the money this would be the investment. I have absolutely limited space with 4 machines in my sewing room, but I WILL take over the master bedroom to have this machine.
Now on to the question at hand, I too have Janome machines, and I love the dealer I have, he is very knowledgeable and he is close, on most things now I just call him. A good dealer is essential to your sewing well being. 
Nana's Janome 7700 is a  top line for quilting throat space and stitch regulator. ( I am a bit bias on Janome)
Barbara's Janome 6600 is a fine machine, however as stated, buy all the machine you can afford. Do some research take a few road trips on the machines and decide what you love about them all. Then shop around, perhaps a used machine someone had to have and does not use.
 If  buy a machine  for quilting it must have the regulator; as my hands are very arthritic and they tend to twitch, fall asleep or tingle with pain when I move the fabrics.

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 160
GinnyQ replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:25 PM

Wow!  It looks and sounds awesome!  Do you have one?

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 160
GinnyQ replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:28 PM

Thanks Carylanne.  I have arthritis too, which is why machine quilting is so important to me!  I do plan to shop around, but hearing about the personal experiences with various machines is very important to me.  This conversation is great!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use