Page 2 of 114 (1700 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,699 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,403
Points 47,115
Angele replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:12 AM | Locked

Ok MoomMist what is the tea towel challenge??  I love your blocks and I see that you will be extremely busy between now and De ember!

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 675
Points 16,985
Brigit-Carol replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 2:13 PM | Locked

I finished up the last blocks on a mystery.  We have now been challenged to come up with the correct arrangement by Sunday before the reveal on Monday.  I'm completely stumped.  I figure the one on the far left will go in the middle since there is only one.  And it seems there will be either a kind of Jacobs Ladder or Irish chain with the 8 on the bottom, but just can't figure out how.  If any of you have ideas, I'd be grateful.  I've never been good with puzzles. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:09 PM | Locked

put the yellow star in the center and stagger the rest of the stars,  put the modified nine patches inbetween them, making chains between the stars,  and use the others for the borders. 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,575
Points 47,490
Debbie-do replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 4:28 PM | Locked

Brigit-Carol, I figured it out!  I'll pm you with a picture unless you want me to show you here :)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,349
Points 28,485
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 7:13 PM | Locked

One of THOSE days!  I finally got a little time to quilt - did some FMQ around flowers  in some accent blocks in a wheelchair quilt, ran out of bobbin, wound new bobbin, finished one block and half of another (the last one of the quilt) then looked at the quilt again and the light-bulb went on!!!  I wound a dark green bobbin, did those 2 half blocks then realized this quilt's flannel backing was LIGHT green not dark!  I spent the last 2 hours frogging tight outline stitching of the flowers.  I could have left it and probably should have done all the flowers with dark green because the flowers showed up well dark green on light backing, but 4 1/2 blocks of the 6 were already done in the matching green and the 2 half blocks that showed up dark looked odd.  Even though the person receiving this quilt probably wouldn't have even noticed the mistake because it only showed on the back, I am a perfectionist and could not let it go.  Instead of having one more quilt finished, I have to redo about 1/2 hour of quilting.  I am to tired to do it right tonight, so hope I can finish it tomorrow.

We spent most of yesterday going to Rich's doctor for a checkup on the knee he had surgery on 2 weeks ago.  It was a beautiful drive in the morning to the Dr's 50 miles away, but was a miserable drive home.  While we were at the Dr's office the temperature started to drop and very strong winds picked up - in the 45 mph range!  I had a hard time keeping the car under control so was exhausted when we got home.  At least Rich now has permission to drive when he feels up to it.  Unfortunately he is exhausted today also, just from riding in the car.  I guess he finally realizes that having hip replacement 1 year ago and partial knee replacement now takes more time than he imagined to recover from.  Dr said he will be completely healed 6 weeks after surgery, but will still tire more easily than before.  I guess he finally agrees that he needs help with his cattle trucking for a while.  He may be able to ride in the truck next week, but will not have the strength to drive for a little while more.  Then he will need someone to handle the cattle.  We have an Amish neighbor who needs another job to make ends meet.  He milks cows on a neighbor's farm part-time and works some for our nephew on our farm, but that job ends when nephew sells out next week.  He has said he will have time then to help with the trucking as soon as Rich can drive. 

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,511
Points 25,305
Debbie replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 8:39 PM | Locked

I had made a baby quilt by taking two different colors of this material and just having it longarm quilted and then added a decorative border.  With second son, DDIL asked for one like it in different colors so did same thing.  It comes out very nice and is so soft for babies.  Both grandsons loves theirs. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280
Ms MoomMist replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 1:10 AM | Locked

Angele:

Ok MoomMist what is the tea towel challenge??  I love your blocks and I see that you will be extremely busy between now and De ember!

Thank you, gini and Angele. the Tea Towel Challenge was listed on one of Pat Sloan's sites a couple of weeks back. The idea came from the book 15 Minutes to Play. I'm not entering it, but you take a vintage tea towel and use it as a center of a quilt and build your blocks around it. Mine are 6" blocks, just traditional blocks. I will have 3 different "Flying Geese" blocks because of the geese on my towel. It is just for fun, but I thought it was a rather clever idea, so thought I'd give it a try. Pat Sloan has some of them posted on her flickr site. Check out Pat's blogs as she has lots of ideas and lots of freebies. Also check out Aurifil blog for more free patterns.

As you can see, I've been doing a bit of surfing, do they call it surfing anymore? lol.

Good night all, it is late here and my eyes are about to slam shut any second and my pillow is calling. Catch you all tomorrow.

xoxoxo,

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 675
Points 16,985
Brigit-Carol replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:22 AM | Locked

Well, thanks to Gini and Debbie Do, I have a couple of possibilities for the arrangement of the mystery quilt blocks.  I think I'm liking it better than I thought.  I'll post a pic after the reveal on Monday.

I made some fun items yesterday afternoon -- quilter's stilettos using turkey lacers.  I was quite pleased with the way they came out. Although I've about decided the only purpose of super glue is to glue fingers together -- I did it twice.  Ouch!  Of course, I've never used a stiletto, so will have to practice to see if I like them.  Hmm.  Wonder how many times I'll stick myself whilst learning? 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:36 AM | Locked

Bridget-Carol, very cute,  I use my stiletto all the time

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 675
Points 16,985
Brigit-Carol replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:36 AM | Locked

Moommist - I like the idea of the tea towel quilt.  I have a cross stitched tea towel I've been wondering what to do with it.  Thanks for the idea!

Marsha - We all have days when it seems the best idea is to throw the sewing machine in the pond.  You are to be admired for keeping with it on such a trying day.  Here's praying and hoping Rich will recover quickly from the surgery. 

Debbie -- two baby quilts?  You have been busy.  I'd love to see a couple of pics.  On another board I frequent, the saying in the goat forum is, "without pics it didn't happen" (in reference to goat births and cute kidlings).  But that could also apply here.  <grin> 

Brigit-Carol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,403
Points 47,115
Angele replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 9:35 AM | Locked

Brigit-Carol I like your stilettos  they are fun. I use mine when I have small pieces to sew together. These would make beautiful gifts to a fellow quilter.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 10:10 AM | Locked

Brigit-Carol

I love your stilletos.  I use mine all the time.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 12:42 PM | Locked

I started my mother's quilt for her birthday, which was yesterday.  I think it's going to be pretty.  It's another Country Comfort pattern.  I need to start my little window competition quilt for KQ.  That will be due before I know it.  Where does all my time go?

M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 12:44 PM | Locked

I am diligently working on the MQ 8 so that I can get all the steps to admin.   I always piece mine together before sending the steps to make sure all the instructions are correct.   Other than that I haven't done much sewing.   I have gotten projects cut to take to retreat.   I guess I have managed to work on a quilt everyday....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 599
Points 9,530
Joyce replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 1:28 PM | Locked

Moonmist I like your quit top you are working on and also the cute new blocks.  You sound like me I think I have about 10 quilt tops that need layering and quilting. I told my kids when I'm gone they can pay someone to quilt them. ha 

Joyce

Page 2 of 114 (1700 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use