mini iron

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
22 Posts
Points 615
maryann posted on Sun, Feb 10 2013 7:19 PM

My regular steam iron is to big to use on the seams of the wedding quilt . I get one seam pressed just the way I want it while messing up the one next to it. Before I spend the money for a mini iron I'd like to hear from anyone who has one  Do you use it, or does it just sit in a drawer waiting for the trip to the thrift store.

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,418 Posts
Points 415,754
gini replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 7:33 PM

mine sits in a drawer, i keep burning myself on it. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,677 Posts
Points 120,525

maryann:
Before I spend the money for a mini iron I'd like to hear from anyone who has one  Do you use it

I tried a Clover and found the attachments awkward and other reasons I can't remember now. I hated it and took it back to Joann's. I bought a Dritz Petite Press Portable mini iron. I really like this little thing. It travels in our RV, I take it to retreats and classes to have beside me for quick pressing of seams while piecing. I don't have to wait in line for an iron unless I need to iron a large piece. Not practical for ironing large pieces of fabric since it's so teeny. And, because it is teeny, it's great for paper piecing.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,413 Posts
Points 47,240
Angele replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 7:43 PM

Judy this is good to know.  I've used my Clover but more often than not, I forget that I have it.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,568 Posts
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 8:22 PM

I use my mini iron for postage stamps quilts.. it works well for that..

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I have the small travel Rowenta purchased at Joann's.  It's not as small as the minis, but it gets good and hot, and I keep it on my small pressing surface next to my machine when I'm working on lots of small seams.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,677 Posts
Points 120,525

MNnancy:
I have the small travel Rowenta purchased at Joann's.  I

Nancy, I also have that travel Rowenta in our RV. Nice little iron, handle folds over and it has it's little own carry bag. Although the zipper broke on the carry bag very early on.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
1,509 Posts
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 9:35 PM

I also have the Rowenta travel iron and love it.  It's a lot lighter than a regular iron and gets nice and hot.  I like it next to the sewing machine for those small jobs.  I got it on sale and got a friend one too.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

I use a press bar. I got it at my LQS. It's about 12 " long, an inch wide and about a 1/2" tall. It is padded with muslin covering it. When you lay your fabric over it, the rest of the fabric hangs over the side so the iron does not touch the other seams. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture of it. I also use a mini iron a lot.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 100 Contributor
Female
764 Posts
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 10:57 PM

I have wondered this. I ususally finger press if I can't get my regular sized iron in there. I have looked at them several times and wondered if they would be worth the cost.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 50 Contributor
2,754 Posts
Points 38,910
ls2116 replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 11:26 PM

I use the mini when I'm making bias for potholder... travel iron for my piecing ... and the big one for my completed quilt.  I guess I would use mini if I was making the stain glass quilt not sure.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,031 Posts
Points 13,120

I bought. New mini iron this fall to go along with all my other irons. The difference is its perfect. The angle is adjustable and it is easy to use. I got it at joAnns with a 50% off coupon and think it was a steal. I can make 1/4" bias stems for appliqué without burning my fingers. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Not Ranked
Female
22 Posts
Points 615

thanks for all the responses I think I will be getting a mini, not sure yet which one.  I will try a piece of 2 x 4 (padded) under the small seams hope it will work like the pressing board.  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

Oh I am glad I read this thread, I was looking for a small iron for taking along to the quilt club I just joined. I do own two of the tiny mini stick kind, but they are still in the packages, both were gifts from sisters (same birthday lol) OOPS never even wanted to use one. I think I'll check out the travel iron above in picture.
one more thing I viewed a tutorial on you tube about a caddy, looks really easy, no zippers.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,031 Posts
Points 13,120

Caryl Anne:

one more thing I viewed a tutorial on you tube about a caddy, looks really easy, no zippers.

What a great iron caddy. I'd not seen this before and I thought I'd seen almost everything. LOL. Thanks Caryl Anne!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use