Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana Posted: Fri, Jan 29 2010 11:52 AM

Has anyone ever done their own tea staining on fabrics.  Any tips on how strong the tea water should be and how long it took for the fabric to take on a lasting stain? And did you set the stain with anything?

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660
CJ Hines replied on Fri, Jan 29 2010 2:05 PM

Nana--I've done this before--the strength of the water depends on how dark you want your fabric to be. I've used a couple of tea bags and then let the fabric soak for a while--if you want a darker stain, leave it in there for an hour or two:) After staining it, I rinse it and then throw it in the dryer until it's almost dry, then iron it. Hope that works for you!

CJ

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 29 2010 3:24 PM

thanks CJ.  I am considering tea staining part of my background fabric for the Dear Jane quilt to use as sashing.  Give it more of an antique look.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 110

If I remember correctly you have to add vinegar to the tea stain water to set the stain. I'm not sure how much

Carol Lavallee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 29 2010 4:51 PM

Maybe could add vinegar to the rinse water.  I have heard that vinegar will set dyes.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 165
Points 2,030

I'v tea-dyed many times, and have never had problems with bleeding/fading. 

I am not very patient, so I usually use twice the teabags I use to make iced tea.  I leave the fabric in until I achieve the tint I'm looking for (usually less than 30 minutes), checking every 5 minutes or so.  Then, I wash and dry the fabric as normal. 

It's ready for use.  I hope this helps.

Jaci – Streator, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:04 PM

Jaci Emerson:

I'v tea-dyed many times, and have never had problems with bleeding/fading. 

I am not very patient, so I usually use twice the teabags I use to make iced tea.  I leave the fabric in until I achieve the tint I'm looking for (usually less than 30 minutes), checking every 5 minutes or so.  Then, I wash and dry the fabric as normal. 

It's ready for use.  I hope this helps.

Thanks Jaci.  That is a perfect explaination of how to tea stain.  I will try this.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 248,562
Thea replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 6:16 PM

Nana - I tea stain muslin all the time - I do a little bit at a time... I usually fill the pot and put red rose tea bags in it - about a gallon of water and 6 bags - I steep them for about 15 minutes and then dip my fabric in - I leave it in till it is slightly darker then what I am going for as it seems to always lighten when you take it out... I then rinse in vinegar water - it seems to set the tea and then subsequent washings it does not wash out... or stain anthing else that I am using with it.  Never had a problem doing it this way...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 9:25 PM

Thanks Thea.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 248,562
Thea replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 1:18 AM

Anytime Nana - i think i have been tea staining things since I was a kid... we tye died back then and I did a lot of staining with tea... it is fun!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 11:21 AM

Althea :

Anytime Nana - i think i have been tea staining things since I was a kid... we tye died back then and I did a lot of staining with tea... it is fun!

Althea I have been "tea staining" things since I was a kid too.  Usually by spilling my glass of tea on me or just plain missing my mouth with the tea which is quite the accomplishment since I have a big mouth....LOL.  However this wasn't exactly what I had in mind so I really appreciate all the info everyone has given.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use