Top 10 Posters

Color problem

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 140
Dotty D posted on Wed, Feb 6 2013 7:48 PM

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to this forum. I havn't been quilting for long but I'm addicted to it already.

I'm hoping someone can advise me which color of thread to use when stitching  white blocks to  navy blue blocks. I do my patchwork by hand over papers so my stitching shows through a bit more than machining would.  Can anyone tell me what the general rule is in this situation?

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
2,831 Posts
Points 39,980

Dottie you could always use red and it would be a patriotic quilt.  Just an idea.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 6 2013 8:23 PM

Dotty

I would probably try something in the grey family.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,656 Posts
Points 136,082

Dotty, welcome,  I mostly use light grays and off white

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,951 Posts
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 6 2013 8:33 PM

I agree with Nana on the grey thread. 

Make your stitches a bit tighter so they don't show through. Pull tight then smooth it with your fingers.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 1:15 AM

if you use thread the same as your white,  stray threads won't show through as easily

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Dotty I to use alot of light gray its seems to blend in well . I but the big cone of it and it last a lot time before I have to get new .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,529 Posts
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 3:51 PM

Dotty, welcome!  I go along with the grey as well.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 140

Thank you Marie, Barbara, Gini, Kris, Leslie, IS2116 and Nana. I'm so grateful for your advice. I'm still tacking my patches at the moment, but should be ready to start stitching them together (with grey) by Monday or Tuesday. Happy stitching everyone! Dotty

Not Ranked
39 Posts
Points 255
L Kohl replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 5:10 PM

It appears that I'm a bit late in answering the question.  I was taught to use a neutral color of thread for piecing - generally an off-white/beige or gray.  Gray is better on dark fabrics.  If ever in doubt lay a strand of thread across the fabric and use the one that shows the least.  This works well for choosing thread for quilting also, whether you want the thread to blend or contrast.  For blending a shade lighter is less visible than a shade darker.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,115 Posts
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 5:41 PM

Just dropped by to say welcome to the site!!

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 140

Thank you for your lovely warm welcome.

jackie

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

I'm also late to this, but I'm hand piecing (English piecing method) a Grandmother's Garden.  I tried using gray thread but it showed then I decided to match to the darkest thread.  That worked.

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 140
Dotty D replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 10:31 AM

It's awful when you have to unpick isn't it., but the advice worked really well for me - I choose a fairly dark grey cotton after a failure using a lighter shade.

If I don't redo a block I'm unhappy with, then that's the bit that jumps out at me whenever I look at the finished quilt!  Jackie.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

Welcome Dotty. I'm with you, if I make a mistake and don't fix it, I always notice it first. Usually no one else sees it but me. I think it's the Amish that purposely put a mistake in their quilts bacause only God is perfect. Don't forget to post pictures.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use