Pre-washing quilt fabric

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
pastime sewing Posted: Mon, Feb 4 2013 3:11 PM

Sometimes I want to pre-wash large pieces of quilt fabric, but I hate the wrinkles.  I learned to open out the fabric to get rid of the fold line that comes with fabric on the bolt before putting it in the washer.  I have a top loader so don't know how this works with a front loader machine.  I set the machine for a gentle cycle - warm wash - cold rinse.  As soon as the machine is done I take out the fabric and give it a good shake and then fold it in large square or rectangle and shake the fabric again.  While folding I put right sides together to avoid that off the bolt fold line.  The next step is to lay the folded fabric inside the dryer and set the machine for low heat and a very short time.  Do not let the fabric become bone dry but just a bit damp.  Remove the fabric, shake it out and fold just enought to handle it and immediately press.  This method works well for me.  Nothing is worse than finding a jumbled up, tightly wrinkled and bone dry mess in the dryer.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,879
gini replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 12:08 AM

great tip, pastime,    hello and welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 12:19 AM

Pasttime great tip thanks , and welcome to the club. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,275
Points 173,333
Marie replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 9:20 AM

Welcome pastime and thanks for the tip.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 9:26 AM

pastime,

Great tip!  Thanks and welcome to the site.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use