Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,666
Points 141,098
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jul 26 2009 8:54 PM

Kris, Perfect picture for us, and what a great idea. I hate to burn myself and will actually avoid this at all costs, like making a left turn in traffic. Thanks for sharing this.   

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,121
Points 252,447
Thea replied on Sun, Jul 26 2009 9:00 PM

Gini, You have the gadgets for making bias strips - double fold bindings you just fold the material in half wrong sides together and then sew the raw edge to the right side of the quilt - fold the folded side over to the back and you can either hand or machine sew it in place...

You can, however, use this technique for making bias strip pieces also... it works great and you hardly ever burn your fingers...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,964
Points 384,077
Kris replied on Mon, Jul 27 2009 2:57 PM

Thea,

making bias strips with the bias strip maker is what gave me the idea to do it for binding.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,121
Points 252,447
Thea replied on Mon, Jul 27 2009 3:05 PM

I am not sure - maybe someone else is but I think that we double the binding strip to make it stronger on the edge - where you use the same amount of material on the bias strip you lose the strength on the edge because you end up with just a single layer there - my brain is getting fuzzy - meds kicking in - it will clear in a little while and I might think more clearly on this - but I think I am right... some people use single fold bindings but I have always liked the double - it is the part of the quilt that takes the most abuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,737
Points 419,854
gini replied on Mon, Jul 27 2009 5:03 PM

althea, that's how i bind my quilts.  i like double fold on the binding, it's stronger.      i use the little gadgets for making bias strips for stems and stuff  in applique, where i don't want as much bulk.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,121
Points 252,447
Thea replied on Mon, Jul 27 2009 5:45 PM

I guess this old gal - said lightly - got confused - I thought you were saying that this was how you made your bindings... so so so sorry - must be that I am feeling so under the weather today - with the wx front moving through it hurts a lot - Jay and I bought a dehumidifier to try to keep the house at a regular humidity level but although it helps it runs constantly when storms are moving through.

You can not believe the amount of water we pull out of the air - we empty it twice a day and when there are storms it is usually about 3 times... but it is a lot better this year then last when we didn't have it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,737
Points 419,854
gini replied on Mon, Jul 27 2009 7:59 PM

no need to say your sorry, just a simple misunderstanding.    i get stuff wrong all the time, and most of the time they're whoppers.  

sorry the weather gets you down.     i get limp during heat spells, which we're having now.    afteri picked huckleberries in the cool of the morning , i sewed for a while, then my daughter invited me to the beach to watch her kids.    we have a long bridge swimn that is about two miles.   she starts training for it a week before, so i had to keep an eye on the darlings while she swam.   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 65
Vicki replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 8:53 AM

Peggy,

I think this is going to be a beautiful wall hanging quilt. I love the layout, and the detail in the cross. I think a brighter background may help,(it looks like a black background, is it?)  but not too busy as your eyes should focus on the pictures.  I suggest turning the raw edges under and appliquing them on the fabric.  Perhaps you could use a decorative stitch, or a simple applique stitch, or even a blind stitich.  With the oval one and the cross,  I would probably choose a needle turn applique technique.  Good luck with your project, and I think if you work diligently on it, you could get it done by Christmas. Another thought: if you're going to applique them, you might use a fusable web as you place and adjust, you can lift them up easily and then when you have it all placed and it's "just perfect" then press them into place. You might have to pin them in place until the pressing. This will be lovely!  I hope you'll share the results when you're finished. Would love to see it!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 65
Vicki replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 8:54 AM

You could also add a bit of trim around the pictures, lace or rickrack, or even piping.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use