rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,355
Sara Posted: Fri, Feb 1 2013 1:35 AM

Hi,

My name is Sara and I am from Flagstaff, AZ. I am new to quilting and here as well. I am in the process of finishing my first quilt. I hope to have it done in the next couple of weeks. I am a stay at home mom and have a daughter with special needs. The quilt I am making is for her so it is very colorful with lots of contrasting colors. I wanted it to be visually interesting for her. I look forward to learning all kinds of wonderful tips here. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 1:39 AM

Welcome Maooose! I think you will be pleased here. Pull up a chair and be prepared to sit awhile. There is tons of information available and wonderful people to chat with and learn from. If you have questions, ideas or just a thought share and make yourself at home. How old is your daughter? Please let us know how she loves her quilt.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,355
Sara replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 1:47 AM

Rhonnie,

Thank you for the welcome. My daughter is 16. She has a very rare syndrome called Aicardi Syndrome. You can google it to find out more. She has seen bits and pieces of her quilt as it has come together and she gets wide eyed each time she looks at it so I think that is a good sign! LOL!  I was going to tie the quilt but didn't like the look of it, then I thought I would hand quilt it. I have decided that I am just not great at that and was having issues with the fabric puckering on the backside of my practice pieces so I have decided to machine quilt it by stitching the ditch with my sewing machine. I am looking forward to getting it done and using it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022

Hi Sara, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 5:12 AM

Hi Rhonnie.   This is a great group of people here.  Supportive, encouraging, some very good quilters who love to share their knowledge.  It is a very busy place. 

I did read about Aicardi Syndrome.  Is that a picture of your daughter in your avatar?  It must have been heart breaking at first.  You will have to show us a picture of her quilt when you are done.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,129
Points 14,595
Dawn replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 6:59 AM

Welcome Sara!  You will love it here!  Everyone is so helpful and if they don't know the answer they help you figure it out!  Check out the groups and enjoy!  Please post pics, we love them!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 8:16 AM

Sara,welcome to the club. You're gonna love it here. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 8:58 AM

Welcome, Sara!  It's nice to have you join us.  Stitch-in-the-ditch is an excellent way to finish your first quilt!  Did you use safety pins to hold your quilt sandwich together?  How have you been teaching yourself to quilt - books?  videos?  other?

I hope you will enjoy this site as much as I have!  Feel free to post any questions you may have.  There are many helpful talented quilters residing here!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,372
Points 175,018
Marie replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 9:16 AM

Sara, welcome to our family!  Enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 9:28 AM

Sara...

I have to say wow I had never heard of that and yes it sounds challenging. I bet she is a blessing in the same breath though. I hope she loves her quilt. I know I look forward to hearing more about you. your projects and your daughter. (((huggles)))

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 12:06 PM

hi sara, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,355
Sara replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 12:43 PM

Thank you everyone for the kind welcome! I am looking forward to learning a lot here and I am sure I will have LOTS of questions. :) 

I posted some pictures in my gallery of Nicole's quilt so you can take a look at it. The colors are more vibrant in person for sure. 

Patti - that is actually me in my avatar. I just posted a couple of pics of my daughter in my gallery. Thank you for reading about Aicardi Syndrome. 

MN Nancy - Yep all my layers are pinned with basting pins or safety pins. I originally bought 100 basting pins thinking that would be plenty...WRONG!! I raided my stash of safety pins from another project and probably put WAY to many pins in but I wanted to be safe. I think I have about 300+ pins in my layers and the quilt is about 55in x 76in. I had a friend teach me how to make 9 patch blocks using the strip method and then went from there on my own for the most part. I measured the top of her bed to figure out the size I wanted and then did the math to decide on the size of the blocks etc.. Two of SIL's are quilters so I have had some help over the phone from them and then I have been watching youtube videos. 

Rhonnie - Aicardi Syndrome is indeed a challenging syndrome for sure!! There is a very wide range of abilities with the girls. Nicole is 100% dependent on us for everything so that keeps us very busy most days. She amazes me each and everyday with little things and her strength. She goes through some awful days due to seizures but she keeps on smiling and rarely ever cries. She has a great personality and although she is non-verbal she has her ways of communicating for sure. She is in many ways like a typical teenager. She likes to stay up late and sleep in late. It is 11:30ish now and she is still snoozing. She has ways of getting out of things she doesn't want to do when it comes to therapies etc. She is a blessing to our family. Although I would have preferred to not have become an Aicardi Mom, my life is so much richer and blessed by the people I have met along this journey. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 3:04 PM

You sound like an amazing mom, Sara!

I looked in your gallery - nice job on that first quilt!  Three hundred pins might have been a bit much (giggle)!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,355
Sara replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 5:24 PM

MNnancy:

You sound like an amazing mom, Sara!

I looked in your gallery - nice job on that first quilt!  Three hundred pins might have been a bit much (giggle)!

Aww thanks. I do the best I can. I am sure I have WAY more pins than I needed but I figure I want to make sure that thing isn't gonna move when I start quilting it!! LOL :) 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 2:40 AM

Sara:

Thank you everyone for the kind welcome! I am looking forward to learning a lot here and I am sure I will have LOTS of questions. :) 

I posted some pictures in my gallery of Nicole's quilt so you can take a look at it. The colors are more vibrant in person for sure. 

Welcome Sara. I visited your gallery; nice work on the quilt. Your daughter is very cute.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use