New to quilting and embroidering and to this site

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 645
Ocydroma Posted: Wed, Jan 30 2013 6:59 PM

I just started learning to quilt very recently. Although I'm very unsure of myself, I really enjoy it. I am also very new to embroidering. I haven't even used my machine. I am intimidated by it lol! I just joined QCA a few days ago and have learned quiet a bit in a short amount of time. Everyone seems welcoming and quick to help others out. 

My family is in the process of moving to West Point, Ga. I'm only a few miles from the Alabama state line. Is there anyone here familiar with the area? Or live in the area? I'd love to meet those who are. I have taken a couple quilting classes and really enjoyed them. 

Would love to get to know some people and get as much information from this site that I can. 

Thanks so much!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Welcome Ocydroma,

You will love it here. I hope you enjoy your new machine. I, also, have learned a lot on this site. Again, welcome.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:28 PM

Ocydroma, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,825
Points 248,634
Barbara replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 8:38 AM

Ocydroma,welcome to the club, You have really come to the best place for learning . There are so many talentled people here never hesitate to ask questions of us . I hope you will enjoy it here as much as I do , Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 18,750

Hello Ocydroma. I am still new myself, just started in May 2012.  I have learned so much from everyone here, I love this site!  I just got an embroidery machine in December and while it is intimidating, I love it and learning every day with it too.    I'm in southern Ohio, so not local, but I'm here at QCA daily and will see you around. :)  You should join some of the groups, they are directed at one thing (machine Embroidery, Block of the Month, Paper Piecing, Applique, etc) and usually have small projects going all the time. It is easier for me to make small projects for practice before I jump into a huge one.  Good luck and welcome!

Erin

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 248,562
Thea replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 9:41 AM

Welcome to QCA - welcome to quilting.  I am sorry I do not know the area that you live in but have some friends down in GA - Jodie Davis lives down there somewhere.

I am a quilt addict.  There are a lot of Groups here where you get more specific information and help on quilting - ask any questions though and you will get tons of great information.. 

Glad you found us!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,116
Points 29,750
Ramona replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 3:34 PM

I've tried twice to post some information for Ocydroma but it won't post.  I don't know if it is because I have added links for embroidery sites?? I'll try to give the information again and leave off the links.

Ocydroma,

As Michelle mentioned you can go to the embroidery section of this site for lots of information. You can also go to Cute Embroidery and to Embroidery Library. Both sites have freebies and lots of information. Cute Embroidery has a community chat where you can ask questions and provide information. They also have a "Freebie" area where people post links to other sites relating to embroidery freebies and great designs. There is an area called Designs by Cuties where there are tons of donated designs by those who belong to the site. Just check out the bar at the top of the page.

Embroidery Library has a section called Kenny's Corner where he shares all different "how to" projects providing stabilizer answers, etc.  They have a tips section as well. They have freebies each month and great sales. There is so much to learn. 

The way I started was I use med weight tear-a-way for cottons, cut-a-way for towels and knits with water soluble stabilizer (wss) on the top. There are several different types and makers of wss. I see where most people use the fabric looking type but I have used both. Anna Bove Embroidery is a site you can check for wss and obtain lots of information from.  I have also used the sticky stabilizer but sometimes when I pull off my project it distorts the design or fabric. Guess I might be doing something wrong. I have also used a little touch of glue if I'm only hooping the stabilizer and not my actual project.

Be sure to check out both sites. 

Welcome to QCA and will look forward to seeing pictures of your projects.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use