Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger Posted: Tue, Jan 29 2013 11:29 AM
Since I became disabled I've suddenly learned to love to cook, especially from scratch. While I'm very good at baking and cooking most other foods, I'm afraid I've never successfully cooked a pork roast. (I burnt the last one 12 years ago!)Is there anyone out there with a super tasty, tender and relatively easy recipe? Here's what I have: a nearly 4 lb. pork roast, little red potatoes, mixed veggies, ie.. peas, carrots, green beans, cream of mushroom soup (no fresh mushrooms), pork gravy mix that I can mix with drippings or fond and a huge roasting pan. I also have butter, salt, pepper, various spices, extra virgin o.o, lard half & half, milk, and cheddar cheese-grated finely. With these options can anyone come up with a recipe? Also do I need to do any trimming? Can I pan-sear it before putting it in the oven? Should I soak it in salt water first and do I need to use baking string around the roast? I do know how to make pan gravy from scratch. Can anyone help before 4 or 5pm today? If so, I'd really, really, really, really, really appreciate it! Thank in advance! Big hugs!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 25
Vicki replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 11:55 AM

I sear my roasts wether beef or pork on all sides in a skillet with a small amount of olive oil or veg. oil.  then I place roast in a roasting pan surround with potatoes, carrots, onions salt, pepper asm needed pour about 1 to 2 cups of water over the veggies cover and bake in pre heated oven 350 degrees for a couple of hours,  I check for tenderness of veggies after 1 1/2 hrs. Make sure the pork is completely cooked through.  Hope this helps.  I have been cooking since I was about 10 which makes me cooking for 67 years.  Smiles.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,133
Points 14,675
Dawn replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 12:31 PM

I have never seared my roasts, but I don't see that it would hurt.  Other than that, I agree w/Vicki.  That is all I do too.  Actually just made a beef roast, put in beef boullion cubes, onion powder, as DH doesn't like onions, put tators around and there you go.  Very simple.  Last night I had some bisquits left-over, so we had the roast and gravy on top of those and then I fried the left-over tators too.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,514
Points 25,350
Debbie replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 12:51 PM

I made one last week in the crock pot, seared all sides first, then covered with Lipton soup mix and covered with water, because I didn't want it to be dry before DH got home from work.  You could also add potatoes, carrots, onions and set it on low for 9 hours.  was still little dry but very tender. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 1:48 PM

they've told you how to cook the roast,  but not the gravy.   do you want flour or cornstarch?   with flour i make a roue of half flour and half butter, roast it slowly in a skillet until the mixture is brown,  then add the liquids to it slowly, and stir until it thickens.  it doesn't take long.    the liquids could be the pan drippings and broth.  cornstarch is quicker i mix a tablespoon or two of cornstarch in cold water and stir until there are no lumps then slowly add it to a simmering, not boiling liquid, cook til it thickens.  season with salt and pepper and you are good to go.   you can also use an immersion blender and mix in a cooked potato or two for thickener instead of flour or cornstarch.   if you add milk or cream,   add them slowly  to a simmering liquid and stir as you add to keep it from breaking. 

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Wow! Are you guys the bomb or what? Thank you very, very much, all of you! Why was I making this harder than it is? Probably because I burnt the last one (12 yrs.ago!), right? Any of you notice the length of time it took me took get the nerve up to try this again? I will sear on all sides. Don't have Lipton soup mix and I want to use my oven, even though I do have a crock pot. I'll find a recipe for biscuits and thanks for the ideas on the gravy! You know... I could've gone to Betty Crocker (I'm a member), but why? I knew if I came to you all, you'd help!!! Once again you've come to my rescue, so thanks again! I'll let you know how it comes out. Also, to reciprocate, I have an awesome recipe for authentic Key-Lime Pie, if anyone's interested. I made it for both Thanksgiving and Christmas and it was so good, they asked me to make one for our New Year's Eve party! Just let me know! It's the least I can do! Big hugs and thanx again!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 7:12 PM

I make my gravy,  then  put gravy and roast in the crock pot cook till very tender   yummy

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Well... the pot roast came out perfect! My husband even said that it was better than what he'd get in a restaraunt and if it was that good, they'd charge an arm and a leg for it! From him, that's a huge compliment! He even told me it was my best dish ever! Thanx everyone! I couldn't have done it without your ideas and help! Let me know if you want the recipe for key lime pie.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use