Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 690
KathyAnn Posted: Sat, Jan 26 2013 11:17 PM

Okay I admit I am extremely math challenged. All these angles, triangles, squares.......all this geometry and math has completely blown what few math smart cells I have. I learn by watching, and couldn't get rotary cutting and all the awesome rulers until an instructor, with much patience, taught me how.  Anyway I have signed up for a basic machine quilting primer and I have to have 7-14inch square sandwiches of muslin and batting for the class. My biggest ruler is a 12 inch square, and I swear I cannot figure out how to work these rulers to cut a 14 inch??????  Help? I know there must e some magically easy way to do this. Is their a picture or a video to watch???

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 11:22 PM

Kathy       Place the edge of your fabric at the 0 on your cutting mat and use the 14 inch line to lay your ruler against and then cut on that line.   I dont usually use the lines on the cutting my to measure but it will work.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,851
Points 85,830
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 6:36 AM

Nana, Jim measured my Olfa cutting mat. The measurement were exactly right on, through the whole mat. I know I have been told never to use the mat for a ruler. But, it works for me, when I need it.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,630
Points 52,280
Ginny replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 8:39 AM

Another suggestion KathyAnn, is to get a 24 inch ruler, or even an 18 inch ruler will work.  I find I use my 24 inch ruler is used the most.   It is good for cutting strips the width of fabric.  It will come to you .  Sometimes you just plain get a "brain fart" and nothing seems right until you just walk away and come back to it later.    Good luck!    Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Hi KathyAnn,

I have the same mathematically challenged brain. It is so difficult for me to even figure out what formula I need for what. Luckily I get a lot of help from everyone here. The  quilters on this site are soooo helpful and generous with their help and information.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 690
KathyAnn replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 10:27 PM

Thank you all for the response to my question. I will use my mat for now.......never crossed my mind till Nana mentioned it. Like I said brain takes a vacation when math is mentioned. LOL  I was browsing around tonight and actually found a 20" and a 15" square creative grids ruler, but they are a bit pricey so will add them to the wish list.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 11:01 PM

Fold the fabric and cut 7" from the fold.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

1.  I would move the ruler up the final 2 inches while keeping the edge of the ruler even with the fabric you have all reay cut.

2. If that is confusing, you can cut a 2 inch section of cardboard  and place it to the top of your material for the last 2 inches.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 340
Rita replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 4:19 PM

I have a 12" square ruler and a rectangular ruler (I think it's 8" x 24").  I use both rulers to get a larger square.  Just align the 6" mark of the square ruler along the edge of the fabric (just like you would if you were cutting a 2" strip of fabric).  Then I butt the other 8" rectangular ruler up to it.  Voila!  6" + 8" measures 14" from the fabric's edge.

Or, if you don't have another ruler, you can probably fold the fabric, press well on the fold and then cut 7" from the fold.  Then open the fabric and press open the crease.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 5:14 PM

Sukochi I had never heard that I use my mat a lot when I cut.  Of course I use my rulers too.  I'm still learning how to cut.  So I can't give any help there.  My quilting friend used to do most of my cutting for me. 

Joyce

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 15

Lots of great answers!  Another option would be to lay another ruler along side the first ruler.  So. for example, instead of a 12" ruler, you would have a 12" ruler plus a 6" ruler(or whatever size the 2nd ruler is) = 18".

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use