Top 10 Posters

Quilting on Satin

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 55
Sheila posted on Sat, Jan 26 2013 7:13 AM

Does anyone have any tips for quilting with a mid-arm on satin?   I want to make a baby blanket with satin on the front and sateen on the back.    I haven't found much discussion on this and was interested if anyone had tried it.

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,351 Posts
Points 46,480
Angele replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 12:13 PM

Sheila, I have never quilted with satin, but I know that when you appliqué in satin you need to put some stabilizer on the back.  It can be something as thin as tissue paper or even the wash away stabilizer, but I'm sure you will need something so that it somewhat grips and holds where you want it to be.  You might want to try it on some smaller pieced to see what would work better.  Good luck finding your answer.  I'm sure someone with more experience will give you their take on it.

Angèle  from NWO

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 55
Answered (Not Verified) Sheila replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 6:30 AM
Suggested by Pat

Thanks Angele.  I found a lot on the internet about quilting with silk, and I have never done that either.   I will try a lightweight stabilizer before I start the baby quilt.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,330 Posts
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 5:09 AM

Sheila, I did a church banner with satin on both sides. The applique was the quilting and I used a lightweight tear away stabilizer. It turned out good...you can see it in my gallery. But I don't think I'd want to do it again.

Linda

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 55
Sheila replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I will post a picture of it when I finish...    I have a couple other projects to finish first, but am eager to start on the baby quilt..

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use