Top 10 Posters

Borders

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,407 Posts
Points 19,560
Melissa Halpain posted on Sat, Jan 19 2013 1:17 PM

I'm a little mathematically challenged. Well, maybe a lot mathematically challenged. When doing a pieced border, what is the mathematical calculation for how to measure the pieces for the border. I have looked on line and you tube and all I can find is a solid border measurement. So sorry to bother anyone with such a silly question, but please help.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,456 Posts
Points 40,815
Answered (Not Verified) Mimi replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 1:38 PM
Suggested by Kris

Hi Melissa,

It's not a silly question at all.  The way I do it is measure the way I do for the solid border and then divide by the size of the finished block of the pieced border.  Say your quilt is 50 x 60.  Just an example.  And your block for the pieced border is 5 inches finished.  Then 50 divided by 5 is 10 so I make 20 blocks for the top and bottom border.  Then I divide 60 by 5 and come up with 12.  so I make 24 blocks for the sides.  OH don't forget the corners of the border, that's 4 more.  So all together I have to make 20 + 24 + 4 blocks for my pieced border....48 blocks.  AND don't forget to add the 1/4 seam to the pieces of your pieced border block.  Most of the time I have to add a small thin border to the top and bottom and sides to make the size of the quilt come out to an even measurement.  And sometimes the top/bottom is a different width than the sides.  I usually use a solid to even things up.  Hope this is clear.  If not someone else may be able to explain it better.  Good luck with your border.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,736 Posts
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 1:42 PM

Melissa,

I'm not sure there are any formulae for this. You'll need to measure your top then figure out the borders. What kind of border is it? If you're making blocks then you could draw it out on graph paper. If it's a simple border that doesn't have a specific design you can make it longer than the top then treat it like a solid border measuring down the centre of the quilt then cutting it to fit.

Do you have someone available who can work it out for you?

That's all I've got right now. I'm sure someone else may have a better answer for you.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,736 Posts
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 1:56 PM

Mimi:
Hope this is clear

Good answer Mimi. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,407 Posts
Points 19,560

Kris:

Mimi:
Hope this is clear

Good answer Mimi. 

Yes this is very clear. Thank you so much for both your replies. I struggle with this all the time.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,407 Posts
Points 19,560

Thank you again Mimi. I printed it so I could tape it on the wall in my sewing room. I also saved it on my hard drive so I don't forget it.Thank you, Thank you, and thank you!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,456 Posts
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 2:30 PM

Melissa Halpain:
Thank you again Mimi.

You're very welcome. It's funny you would ask as I'm just getting ready to plan a border for a top I've just finished and my brain was on that very topic.

Thanks also to Kris for the nice compliment.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 12:17 PM

Mimi

I see the school teacher coming out....your explanation is perfect.  I know how to do it but I would have had a hard time explaining the process so that it made sense...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,456 Posts
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 2:19 PM

Nana:
I see the school teacher coming out

Oh Nana,  I can't escape it.  I've wanted to be a teacher since I was a kid.  Thanks for your kind words.  Although my DH often says "Stop talking to me in your teacher voice.  I'm not 10."  Yikes!  LOL

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,736 Posts
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 7:04 PM

LOL Mimi.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 12:12 AM

Mimi

The downfall of being an elementary teacher.  I remember that voice when you would get really into explaining something at retreat.   I thought it was kind of funny.   I know that when I still worked as a RN I would tend to use the "language" at home all the time.   My DH would just stare at me like I had 2 heads....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 10:40 PM

Mimi:
Oh Nana,  I can't escape it.  I've wanted to be a teacher since I was a kid.  Thanks for your kind words.  Although my DH often says "Stop talking to me in your teacher voice.  I'm not 10." 

mimi, softly, "now let's stop and think about this for 30 seconds", smile.        did i get the tone of voice down right?   :  ) 

i've been using your voice in my head now since we met.  "now, gini, let's stop and think about this for 30 seconds"   it works really well, and  i like your teacher voice just fine.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,456 Posts
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 5:09 PM

gini:
did i get the tone of voice down right?   :  ) 

To a T.  If I was just a little less tall, we could be twins.  :c )  I had totally forgotten my words. And oh it brought back so many wonderful memories of fun times and laughing. I'm still laughing. Thanks for remembering and reminding me.  I'm glad it's working for you. I wish it would work for the kids I teach.  Well it does sometimes I guess 'cause they're making progress.  What's nice about using a soft quiet voice is when you raise it they know you mean business.  I sure hope you can make it again to The Lodge at the end of June, but grandbabies always come first.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use