Quilt project

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 60
Denise posted on Wed, Jan 16 2013 9:22 PM

My sister (48) was recently diagosed with Parkinson's Disease and I want to make an inspirational quilt for her. Does anyone have any suggestions/patterns/ideas to share that I could borrow?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,344 Posts
Points 126,144

I wanted to say Hi Denise and it is nice to meet you. 

I'm sorry about your sister's diagnosis.  I would pick colors that she likes. Is there a particular block or style that you like?  Again, I'm so sorry and I know that whatever you choose to do she will love it. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:16 PM

Denise

If I were you I would pick a block style that you like and use colors your sister likes.  If the quilt is made with love it will be inspirational for your sister.  I am sorry that your sister is going thru this and prayers will be offered for both of you.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,576 Posts
Points 36,085
ls2116 replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 12:31 AM

Hi Denise Sorry to hear about diagnosis.  Do you have a deadline for when you need it done by?  I just seen a cute pattern ... Andover Fabrics called Little Sweethearts,  Quilt by Jean Ann Wright, Fabric by Ren'ee Nanneman Its a log cabin with Hearts.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,821 Posts
Points 85,145

HI, Denise. So very sorry to hear about your sister. But, point her to Micheal J. Fox and let her know that it can be handled with meds.

I made a quilt for my cousin's wife when she had melamnoma. I sent cream quilt blocks to family and her best friends. I told them to write uplifting saying, thoughts, prayers, etc and send them back to me. I, then, worked them into a quilt The other blocks were applique.  She was speechless when she got it. She said NO one had ever done anything so beautiful for her. She passed three years ago. My cousin sold all her antiques, including antique quilts she collected. But, he did not sell her quilt. And, he moved from Highland, IN. to Willington, NC. The quilt is hung, in his office, as a reminder of his beautiful wife...and the cousin who loves them, so mmuch. Made me cry when he said that. So, do something like that. In fact, they had just become grandparents, three months  before she passed. Her son drew a picture, of the baby, with mountains behind her. They lived in Boulder CO., at that time. So, think about doing something like that. She was awesturck.

I hope all goes well for you dear sister. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,821 Posts
Points 85,145

HI, Denise. So very sorry to hear about your sister. But, point her to Micheal J. Fox and let her know that it can be handled with meds.

I made a quilt for my cousin's wife when she had melamnoma. I sent cream quilt blocks to family and her best friends. I told them to write uplifting saying, thoughts, prayers, etc and send them back to me. I, then, worked them into a quilt The other blocks were applique.  She was speechless when she got it. She said NO one had ever done anything so beautiful for her. She passed three years ago. My cousin sold all her antiques, including antique quilts she collected. But, he did not sell her quilt. And, he moved from Highland, IN. to Willington, NC. The quilt is hung, in his office, as a reminder of his beautiful wife...and the cousin who loves them, so mmuch. Made me cry when he said that. So, do something like that. In fact, they had just become grandparents, three months  before she passed. Her son drew a picture, of the baby, with mountains behind her. They lived in Boulder CO., at that time. So, think about doing something like that. She was awesturck.

I hope all goes well for your dear sister. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 60
Denise replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 6:32 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - great suggestion!

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 60
Denise replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 6:33 PM

This is a lovely idea and I thank you for sharing your thought and ideas!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,123 Posts
Points 411,194
gini replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 1:09 AM

hi denise, welcome to the group.   i'm sorry to hear about your sister.   i think any quilt made by a sister is inspirational just because of the love that goes into it.  pick colors that will make your sister smile

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use