Top 10 Posters

Beginner looking for non-traditional pattern.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 90
Jill posted on Sun, Jan 6 2013 1:42 PM

Hello All!

I just joined and will get right down to business! I did a quick search to make sure that I'm not being repetitive but, didn't find what I was looking for.... so I guess what I'm doing is truly unique.  I'm casting a wide net for this question across the web on other forums as well.

I want to make a quilt for a California King size bed. The twist? I want to to be an overall non-traditional shape. No squares or rectangles. Another twist? I've only made one quilt before but, I will have help getting the back and binding on. And I don't really want to buy a whole lot of equipment to complete this (money honey).

I don't mind if it's not really functional. I'm making it as a gift for my husband who I have been separated from for a year because we're going through the immigration process. So, if there's a way I can fit something Indian on the quilt, that would be nice too... I might just do it in the colors though.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, I've found this quilt on someone's blog: http://seamstresserin.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-hexagon-quilt-is-quilted.html

I want this, but kookier.

Thanks for reading my life story. Haha!

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
652 Posts
Points 12,310

Not sure if this will help, but this was my first quilt as I didn't want to start with making sure all my points matched as a first quilt. It's a king size also. The first quilt, I learned the long arm process at a quilt shop. I have a long now in my house. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,604

Hi Jill it is nice to meet you. I'm not sure I can help with your question, but someone will be along with an answer.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 10:43 AM

Like the hexagon quilt...kookier could be in the colors your choose, and the placement of them in your blocks.  Whatever you choose enjoy the process.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,302 Posts
Points 414,089
gini replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 11:31 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=hexagon+quilts&hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1C1CHVN_enUS511US511&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=agXrUKiwLoSnigKx_IAg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1280&bih=909

i went to google images and called up hexagon quilts, here are a lot of ideas for you

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 90
Jill replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 11:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestion!

Not Ranked
Female
59 Posts
Points 590
I am not sure, I am Sorry, but I can higly recommend Warm and Natural. They stand behind their products and are well know. There are copy-cats out there I hear, so careful. Make sure they are out of Lynnwood Wash. Good Luck to you, and Thanks Dawn of Lynnwood Washington.

Blessings,

Pat F, Jamestown, NY

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355
Suggested by Denise Smart

Jill:

what I was looking for.... so I guess what I'm doing is truly unique.  ...I want this, but kookier.

Here are loads and loads of FREE unique, kooky designs

http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/free-downloads/

Happy quilting

Denise Smart

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

How could I forget Leah Day. Here are over 365 free designs, and a free video of how to do the designs. Some are really really kooky. Heh, you asked.

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/p/365-designs.html

Denise Smart

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 90
Jill replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:28 PM

Wow, you guys are awesome.  I will have templates to make a new quilt every year of my marriage at this rate!

And, thanks for the warm welcome!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use