Top 10 Posters

To heavy fusible web used

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 100
DEBORAHW-5 posted on Fri, Jan 4 2013 1:31 AM

I used a fusible web recently for a baby quilt I am making, and it is so stiff that I cannot hand or machine stitch through or on it.  Does anyone know any way to save this quilt?  I fused the entire pattern on the quilt before trying to stitch it.  Some places are 3 layers thick!

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,200 Posts
Points 239,037
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:06 AM
Verified by DEBORAHW-5

Deborah - the fusible is only glue - it will come out with soap and water - Since you haven't been able to stitch through the areas to secure them I would say if you have a hand cycle on your washing machine to put it in and let it do its job.  Oh my - 3 layers thick - I can't believe you can't sew through it - are you trying to hand sew it?  A machine should be strong enough to do it.  If you don't have a hand cycle on your washing machine then I would have to wash it by hand in the sink or tub - and leet it soak in the soapy water for a little while...

• | Post Points: 40
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 12,975

You can also use heavy steam and remove the pieces while hot and damp. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,200 Posts
Points 239,037
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:06 AM
Verified by DEBORAHW-5

Deborah - the fusible is only glue - it will come out with soap and water - Since you haven't been able to stitch through the areas to secure them I would say if you have a hand cycle on your washing machine to put it in and let it do its job.  Oh my - 3 layers thick - I can't believe you can't sew through it - are you trying to hand sew it?  A machine should be strong enough to do it.  If you don't have a hand cycle on your washing machine then I would have to wash it by hand in the sink or tub - and leet it soak in the soapy water for a little while...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,251 Posts
Points 172,988
Marie replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 2:35 PM

In the future, Deborah, when you use fusible web, cut away all but about 1/2" on the inside of your image.  Example..........If you have a circle to fuse, cut away all but 1/2 of the fusible away from the inside of the circle.  Hope this is clear, if not one of the girls will jump in here and explain.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 12,975

You can also use heavy steam and remove the pieces while hot and damp. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 100

Thanks for your help.  I used really heavy fusible webbing, and the sewing machine needle wouldn't even keep going, it would do a few stitches then stick.  I have learned a lot more since this first boo-boo, but no one ever told me it would just wash out!!  I can't wait to finally finish this little quilt now!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 100

Thanks, I do understand.  Unfortunately, I learned this trick long after starting this quilt. 

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 100

Thanks for your answer also.  As glad as I am to learn that washing the quilt is a possible answer,  I would really rather try this one first, I hate to wash the quilt at this point as I have many very small pieces that I am a little afraid of fraying completely away! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,589

I'm happy the ladies got your delima all figured out for you. I wanted to say Hi and it is nice to meet you...

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 100

Thanks and the same to you.  I am new to this site, and was surprised to get my answers so quickly and hopefully with such a simple solution.  I appreciate each of you who took their time to help out someone who made such a dumb mistake!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,589

Your most welcome Deborah, we have all been there at one time or another.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use