Top 10 Posters

Embroidery Machines???

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55
cglovingood posted on Wed, Jan 2 2013 7:10 PM

Happy New Year Quilters! I am new to Quilters Club...new to embroidery. I am interested in buying n embroidery machine but have become totally overwhelmed. I am looking to spend no more than 2K. Any suggestions? I have been told Janome, Viking and Baby Lock are good machines.

Thanks!

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
Bernina and brother are also good machines. I had the Janome 10001 and loved it and now I have a Brother Duetta 4500D and love it too. I have the Bernina 440QE which also embroiders but I don't use it for that as it has to be hooked up to a computer in order to embroider. I know the Viking machines are also good and have some machines that will fall in that price range and I also believe that Janome has a machine or two that fall into that. I liked the Janome because of its ease of use...you can go from sewing straight to embroidery with very little effort. The only reason I switched over to the Brother machine was for the bigger hoop size, now I believe Janome offers the bigger hoop size. You should go test drive 1 of each machine in your price range and then you can decide much easier which machine is for you. Hope this helps. A very Happy New Year to you too. Whatever machine you get you will become addicted to embroidery...I love it.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55

Thank you Denise! Great suggestion to test drive them. Never thought about that.

~Christie

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
12,929 Posts
Points 233,847
Thea replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 7:41 PM

Make sure you test drive and make sure that you have a good technician for what ever machine you decide to buy in your area - as they are not able to be cleaned by you individually without cancelling out your warranty... most of the machines are comparable today.  It just depends on your price range... Bernina is the cadillac as far as price but I have not seen any difference in the final product from the brother which is lower on the totem pole.  Pfaff and Viking are made by the same company and parts are made in China now - so although the machines used to be wonderful - they are getting worse... Janome is above brother on the ladder but not by much.  

I own a Brother stand alone embroidery machine and a Pfaff that does both sewing and embroidery.  I love both of them.  I am not independently wealthy so would never be able to afford a Bernina... but then I have no wish to either... they are very very good machines though.  

I lean now towards the Janome over all of them - that and the Viking - and I own neither one...teehee

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
Babylock and Brother are the same machines too, two brothers from what I was told by my dealer. I don't consider either babylock or brother to be low on the totem pole for machines....they are great machines but Janome is easier to use and well loved by many.
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,649 Posts
Points 135,942

Hi Christi, welcome.  I don't own one but have test drove a Janome, and loved it

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:45 PM

Christie

I have a Bernina that does embroidery and I love it.  Does beautiful needlework.  However I wish I had been able to afford one that didn't require being connected to a computer.  That being said ...  I have both a Bernina and a Janome and in my opinion Bernina stitch quality can not be beaten.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,220 Posts
Points 41,005

Nana:

Christie

I have a Bernina that does embroidery and I love it.  Does beautiful needlework.  However I wish I had been able to afford one that didn't require being connected to a computer.  That being said ...  I have both a Bernina and a Janome and in my opinion Bernina stitch quality can not be beaten.

FYI, I have two Berninas: - a 2001 Bernina 200E and a 2011 Bernina 830LE.  Neither require being connected to a computer to operate the embroidery module. Apparently it depends on the model of machine.  

I love my 200E and bought the 830LE mainly for the larger hoop size and the larger arm (12") for FMQ'g.  Both are fantastic machines...and I am not wealthy...not by a long stretch...lol!  (In fact, I am scrimping right now paying for the 830LE on a monthly payment plan at 0% interest.  It means I will not be adding  to my stash for awhile until I pay off  "Lady B".)  Why did I keep the 200E?  I live in a remote area, and having only one machine can be a real problem if your machine needs servicing and you have a project that needs to be completed.  It was worth more to me as a second machine than the trade-in value!

Winthrop, WA

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use