Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,140
Judy Posted: Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:57 AM

I am in the process of making the Something Fishy Complete quilt by Ryan Mckenna. Has anyone done one of these yet and can you help me with a question. Since this is a combination of five small quilts, I understand that I won't put a border around each block, but do you know if I should sew the backgrounds together before I attach the appliqué pieces. It seems like that is what i should do , but I don't think that is specifically spelled out in the directions.

I check her web site and sent an email, but of course, that is why I love this site. Someone probably did this before me.

Any help anyone?

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 3:11 PM

In case anyone comes by this post and wonders about the answer, I have one.

The person from Kenna's web site replied with the answer I expected. You can do it either way, with the suggestion that doing it before you put on the appliqués might make the seaming easier. Well, I had to stop looking at it as 4 panels and see it as a quilt with appliqués. I just finished putting the backgrounds together and have decided that I will add the border too. Then placing the appliqués on the quilt as a whole gives me more flexibility for creatively adding the appliqués.

I added 1/2 inch all around each background, just because it seemed like if would be a little crowded and I have learned from experience that I would rather have a little more space than less.

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 3:28 PM

Judy

I am glad that the pattern company helped you with this.  I haven't done one of her patterns so I really couldn't advise which was best.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Glad you got your answer, I hope you will post pictures.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 8:42 AM

Nana & Spudgrandma -

This is really fun. It is a challenge. I am getting a chance to be creative. I am getting to use applique, and quilting skills, but I will also be using my painting experience to add painted embellishments, and my hand embroidery and I have some other ideas for the embelishments. This is way more work than I thought it would be, but I am glad that I decided to move forward with it.

One thing for sure, if you ever try one of these, I think that ordering the fabric kit is really important for the first one. I have a lot of left over fabric and might even be able to just add some to it and make a second one to give away. Also, I can for sure make a couple of the smaller panels to hang or give separetly.

One other thing, we live in Ohio and have a cottage by a lake and this panel happens to have all of the fish found in the lake. My husband figured that out. Now he looks at the bass and says, the front needs to be darker, it does not look exactly right. Then he says, you have flowers on the body of this fish. Once I get him to understand that it is a quilted wall handing and not a photo, I think he will get it. I already picked out the wall to hang it on. I'll be sure to post the picture.

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,129
Points 14,595
Dawn replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:37 AM

Just a ? on McKenna's patterns.  Does the price include the fabric too, or just the pattern?

Thanks!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

Judy:

Then he says, you have flowers on the body of this fish. 

LOL.  Aww... too cute.

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,591
Points 118,860

Judy Kay, thanks for the info on Ryan Mckenna patterns. I hadn't looked at her site before. Wow, I love her patterns and just ordered her wall hanging pattern, Which Came First. Perfect Christmas gift for my daughter.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,453
Points 40,785
Mimi replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 7:17 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Which Came First.

I have that one too as my kitchen has a chicken theme.  Let me know how things go as I haven't put it together yet.  Got the whole kit from Nancy's Notions a while back.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,591
Points 118,860

Mimi:

Judy T-Bellingham:
Which Came First.

I have that one too as my kitchen has a chicken theme.  Let me know how things go as I haven't put it together yet.  Got the whole kit from Nancy's Notions a while back. 

The Which Came First pattern didn't go through. The website locked up. I went back in and ended up getting a different pattern instead. It's Munch a Bunch from her Back on the Farm series. After some arm twisting, I agreed to make another quilt wall hanging for the local goat rescue organization. They will auction it off at their annual event this summer.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:52 PM

Hey you guys, isn't it McKenna Ryan instead of Ryan McKenna?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,453
Points 40,785
Mimi replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 10:01 AM

Yes Nancy you are right.  It is Mckenna Ryan.  sorry for the confusion.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,453
Points 40,785
Mimi replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 10:05 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
The Which Came First pattern didn't go through.

Oh that's too bad.  I think the whole kit might still be on sale at Nancy's Notions.  It included the pattern, fabric, binding, batting and backing.  I don't think I ordered it that long ago.  Good luck with your new goat kit.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,339
Points 241,892
Thea replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 6:40 PM

Judy, I have made about 5 of McKenna Ryan's multi block quilts now and I would never be able to do them if I sewed the backgrounds together before I put all the applique pieces on.  I satin stitch all the little pieces down and to try and do that to the full size quilt to me would be horrifically hard.  I love her quilts and if you look in my blog you will find a few of them that I have made - I have mostly made her Christmas quilts and am making the new one at the present time.  Her raw edge applique pieces make it extremely easy and very accurate - One fact that I absolutely love about her patterns is that I don't have to reverse any of the patterns - she does that for us... so I just trace them onto my fusible - fuse them to my fabric backing cut out and fuse to the backing fabric.

Good luck!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,339
Points 241,892
Thea replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 6:43 PM

Depending on if you buy a kit or a pattern - is whether you get fabric with them or not...

Nancy Notions sells them along with Keepsake quilting... and a lot of other quilt shops - I have found cheepest when Nancy Notion's puts them on sale... or if they have been at a local quilt shop and not sold... then you get them for a really good price.  I do love them though and am hooked!

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use