Handi Quilter Sweet 16

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,801 Posts
Points 123,030
Judy T-Bellingham posted on Sun, Dec 30 2012 12:21 PM

My sister is considering a Handi Quilter Sweet 16.  She found one, with the sititch regulator, on http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/hq-sweet16-trustitch.php

I tried to access the Handi Quilter website to find a store near her so she could test drive one. She lives in Vancouver, near Portland, OR. The website doesn't work. Does anyone know why? Is there a problem with the Handi Quilter manufacturer? I'm telling her to hold off until I can find out more information.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Judy, it looks like their server may be down. I'm guessing it will be back up soon as cannot imagine they would not be fixing it.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,801 Posts
Points 123,030

Spudgrandma:

Judy, it looks like their server may be down. I'm guessing it will be back up soon as cannot imagine they would not be fixing it.

That's what I was wondering Spud. But I first tried it a couple days ago. Then I was worried they were going out of business or something. So I'm trying to hold my sister back from making an impulsive online purchase until we can find out more information.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Also Judy, and nothing against the particular online store you linked to (I don't think I have ever ordered anything from them) but, I would pay a little more to buy from a dealer on a machine - especially for quilting - You do not get any help from the online stores if you have a question or need some help. I'm just leery about ordering unless I know I can get help.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
694 Posts
Points 13,230
Michelle replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 11:32 AM

Judy and Spudgrandma, I agree with buying from a dealer. There are always deals they are doing, I bought mine after a Quilting Retreat and got it for $2000 less because try used it at the retreat. Got over $800 supplies with it and the in store classes. The dealer also had 1 year of classes for free and 40% off material 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Michelle, it sounds like you made a great deal. Did you get a HQ? 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,801 Posts
Points 123,030

Spudgrandma:
Also Judy, and nothing against the particular online store you linked to (I don't think I have ever ordered anything from them) but, I would pay a little more to buy from a dealer on a machine - especially for quilting -

I couldn't agree more! My sister is coming up to visit this spring and I'll take her to Quality Sewing Center. They carry the Handi Quilter line. I told her I'd look at them this week when I get a chance.

I'm one of those, as is my sister, who need hands on instruction. I'm too impatient to watch videos or read manuals for complex things. Also those manuals just don't explain the little things that are so important. I found that out when I bought my Viking a few years ago. If I hadn't been able to sit down with the person in the store and go over things I would have been lost. Plus, I don't know how many times I went back in, confused, and they were able to sit me down and show me exactly what to do.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,801 Posts
Points 123,030

Michelle:
Judy and Spudgrandma, I agree with buying from a dealer. There are always deals they are doing, I bought mine after a Quilting Retreat

I had hoped to take my sister to Sew Expo the first weekend in March to see the Handi Quilter. But, guess what? I'm going to be at the Branson retreat. So, that's out unless one of her daughters or an interpreter would drive the 150 miles to go with her.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
694 Posts
Points 13,230

I got  an HQ 18. Love it!!  So easy to work, easy to thread and only one drop of oil for each quilt on the bobbin. So far no problems. But I do ask alot of questions at the quilt store and they always answer. I have the videos that came with it for reference for the pantographs, groovie boards, etc. so many extras came with it, I haven't even tried the Lasar light yet for the pantographs but that is my next thing to try out. I've done all free motion. It's so creative and freeing. 

Michelle B

Top 150 Contributor
Female
694 Posts
Points 13,230

I got  an HQ 18. Love it!!  So easy to work, easy to thread and only one drop of oil for each quilt on the bobbin. So far no problems. But I do ask alot of questions at the quilt store and they always answer. I have the videos that came with it for reference for the pantographs, groovie boards, etc. so many extras came with it, I haven't even tried the Lasar light yet for the pantographs but that is my next thing to try out. I've done all free motion. It's so creative and freeing. 

Michelle B

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,574 Posts
Points 177,993
Marie replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 5:31 PM

Michelle, have fun with your new baby.  Post apic of your work on it when you have time.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,574 Posts
Points 177,993
Marie replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 5:36 PM

Oops!  Guess youv'e had it for awhile, Michelle.  Shouldv've read some older posts.  Have we seen some of your work with it?

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
694 Posts
Points 13,230
Michelle replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 10:02 PM

Here's the latest quilt I finished this week. For a friend battling cancer .  She wanted a Christmas quilt with minky on the back. I'll have to take a picture of the Quilting up close and the back .  I need to try using some type of pattern. All I've done is free hand so far. 

Michelle B

Top 150 Contributor
Female
694 Posts
Points 13,230
Michelle replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 10:08 PM

Here is a close up of some of the quilting 

Michelle B

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,801 Posts
Points 123,030

Michelle:

Here is a close up of some of the quilting  

Michelle, I love your quilting.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use