Top 10 Posters

Templates - I need a how to

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355
LearningDayByDay posted on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:29 AM

I've told myself no more fabric buying until I use up a major portion of what I have  . . . . so I have a small number of quilts in mind to make.  I'm still a major beginner in this, having made only 4 quilts and some small pillows - all of which used squares, rectangles and a very small number of triangles.

The next quilt I want to make is labeled beginner but requires the use of  two templates to make approximately 700 pieces.  I've never used a template before so this is all new to me and I'm not even sure what questions I need to ask you about this.  So I'll ask what I think I need to know, answer what you can and add anything else.

My first and main question is what do I need to buy at the shop to be able to make a template?  I'm headed there later today and don't want to go in feeling totally stupid.  My pattern requires the use ot two different templates, one being the major one and covering about 95% of the pattern.  This one is a triange shape.  Will I be cutting out 680 individual pieces or will it be similar to cutting squares where I cut one long strip and then triangles from that?  (and if it's just a triangle to I really need a template?)

Please share with me what you can about templates, since I've never used them I'm not sure what I'm getting into.

Thanks, Ellie

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:40 AM

hi ellie, can we have more specifics on your templates and what kind of triangles you are making?   how big they are, etc.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
801 Posts
Points 16,020
Sue replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:44 AM

To make triangles you do not need a template.  IF they are equilateral (the same size on each side), just cut a strip, then cut the angle.  You don't say what the other shape.  Look at it really hard, then get out your rulers and look at the shape with your rulers.  Ask yourself this, can I cut this shape with my ruler?  If yes, do so, if not, then you will probably need template plastic.  It is heaver plastic material usually found at craft stores or quilting shops or even at WalMart (that's where I get mine).  It is cut with scissors or an exacto knife ( I use an exacto knife on a piece of wood so as to not cut my table).  Keep in mind that cutting template plastic is like cutting very hard, very stiff paper. Please share the pattern with us so we can see what you are doing.  And good luck with your project.

Have a wonderful New Year, from the Piney Woods of East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
671 Posts
Points 12,795

Ellie,

I also am pretty new to quilting, about 3 years now, slowly getting more done. I started with just a few rulers that I felt could use for lots of projects. I use the strip method, where I measure the size of the triangle, then cut a long strip of material that size, then line up the ruler to cut only one side of triangle.  Does that make sense? It makes for more even triangles.  I also have my husband that loves to make wood pieces for me that I like to use.  He will cut a triangle or square out for me the size that I need and I can use that for very specific triangles. It would be like those templates out of plastic, but the wood is easier for me to handle. They do take up more room, but I have a small box they go into.  

Michelle 

from southern Texas

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355

I'd tried doing a copy and paste but can't so I'll describe.  The triangle is an isoceles - 2 sides a little longer than the third size (approximately 3" as best as I can estimate).  The second template would be half the size of this, to use around the outside edges of the pattern.  And the corners are squared off, after the 1/4" seam allowance is added in. 

I think what is going through my mind is that I am going to have to trace 700 individual triangles and then cut each one individually - and that does not sound like fun!!  Is this how it works or is there an easy way?

Ellie

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

LearningDayByDay:
I'd tried doing a copy and paste but can't so I'll describe.

Hi Ellie. I'm pretty new to quilting also, so I can't really help you there. If you take a picture of the pattern or save on your hard drive. Then you can upload the picture or file on this forum.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:34 AM

you should be able to cut a strip and cut the triangles out from the strips, depending on the shape of the triangle.   if the triangles are symmetric, you can draw them on fabric or just use the angles on your rotary rulers to cut them.

can you give us a name of the pattern, a link to it or an e-address so we can go look at it?

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 30
Denise replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:54 AM

Ellie, you will not be cutting each piece individually --  unless for some reason you are using scissors.  With a rotary cutter you can successfully cut four blocks at a time.  With luck, and a sharp blade, perhaps even six at a time.  Just stack your strips carefully on top of each other, lay your template (wood block, or whatever you are using) on the strilp layer and cut.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

gini:
can you give us a name of the pattern, a link to it or an e-address so we can go look at it?

That would be very helpful, and as you can see there are a lot of very helpful people here. Hang in there and you will get it figured out. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 12:39 PM

I just make my templates out of the lt cardboard that comes out of the soda boxes ,I trace the pattern then cut it to size. saves me form haivng to buy the rules. I'm cheap LOL  . Never ever give up buying fabric .this is coming form a full fleged fabricholic ....there are always sales.LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi Denise, it is nice to meet you!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,656 Posts
Points 136,082

I use cheap plastic place mats for template.    I agree with Gini, it would help to see a pic.

[Ava, Missouri

Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355

Thank you for your responses!! It's good to have such knowledgeable people that know the answers to my "hard" questions.

I found the name of my quilt pattern - it's a thousand pyramids quilt. Row after row of several trianges. I'm going to do a little fooling around with my rulers and such to see what I need to do. I think this pattern can be made with equilateral triangles also, in which case I really don't need a template, right?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
801 Posts
Points 16,020
Sue replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 2:18 PM

I think this pattern can be made with equilateral triangles also, in which case I really don't need a template, right?

RIGHT!

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Here is a link to another board where the ? was asked and answered. One of the ladies also showed the difference between triangles. You do not have to log into the board to read the thread.   Thousands Pyramids Quilt

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use