Shopping for fabric at sales

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 7 verified answers | 17 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
104 Posts
Points 1,780
Bandmama posted on Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:56 PM

I'm still fairly new at all of this.  The patterns I've made so far have either been from a book or class and those had the fabric requirements and color suggestions.  My local shop is having their year end blow out sale tomorrow and Saturday and I'm thinking about picking up some fabric.  I don't really have a specific quilt in mind to know the exact details.  I'd like to make a green quilt this year (hopefully in time for St. Patty's Day) and a Bears Paw (if I can ever find the magazine or book I bought that had the pattern in it lol).  My bed is a queen size and my kids both have a regular and twin.

So my question is this.  When you guys shop sales do you go with with specific yardage needs in mind or do you just pick fabric you like and buy some of it.  How much is a decent amount to purchase to be useable for a future quilt?  I'm thinking a couple of yards at least.  I was there earlier today and they have some beautiful red and pink on white and cream florals that are marked down to $3/yard!  Buying whatever is left on the bolt gets you a 40% discount and a 2 yard minimum is 30% off.  I have 2 HUGE tubs of fabric that my Mom gave to me that she bought from her quilt store but has decided she does not have time to quilt so I don't really need the stash.  I just thought it would be nice to pick up some pretty pinks, creams & greens and some jewel tones and support my local shop at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Lucy

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,618 Posts
Points 247,317
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:59 PM
Verified by Bandmama

A fabriholic in the making...teehee

I buy yardage and my set yardage is 3 yards of any fabric that I like - most quilt patterns the main fabric you are going to use - usually takes about 3 yards... if it calls for 3 1/4 yards I can usually squeeze my 3 yard cuts to make it.  I used to buy fat quarters and then a year or so down the road when I got ready to use that fabric I would find I didn't have enough so that is when I started buying the 3 yard cuts... and if I really like the fabric and know that I might use it in more then 1 quilt I sometimes buy 4 or 5 yards...

• | Post Points: 40
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530
Verified by Bandmama

Thea:

I have to agree with you Thea.

I have 2 HUGE tubs of fabric that my Mom gave to me that she bought from her quilt store but has decided she does not have time to quilt so I don't really need the stash.

Lucy, I don't think it's possible to have enough stash. I have a walk-in closet full of fabric on 3 shelving units and one dresser. I also have a huge shelving unit that won't fit in my closet, full of fabric. I'm now running out of room to put any fabric away. I make a lot of craft items, so I still buy fat quarters. When I do buy yardage, the very least I buy is 1 yard. Normally I also buy 3 yards.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 25
Top 150 Contributor
Female
701 Posts
Points 13,295
Verified by Bandmama

Hello Bandmama,

I am new to this forum, but I love to shop the sales.  I am one that loves to have a pattern in mind first, I actually take the patterns with me, or at least have an idea of the quilt I want to make, that way I know about how much material I need. I think that is half the fun, to look for material that "lives" together and just wants to be put into my pattern.  That way, when I get home, I write down on scrap paper what each piece of material is for in the pattern, copy the pattern and put all in a container and mark the container.  This way, everything I need for that quilt is ready for me when I start cutting out.  I do still buy some fabric that I just love, if I do this, I usually get one yard and put those in with materials that match it. But this is just me. 

Michelle 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,180
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 1:41 AM
Verified by Bandmama

Lucy

When I buy fabric and don't have a project in mind I buy 3 yds.   If I think I may use it for backing I buy 10 yds since I do alot of king size quilts.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 247,949
Verified by Bandmama

I to have started buying three yards when I buy. If I don't use it al I will still have fabric left over to do a scrappy.  I rarely buy fabric with a pattern in mind .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
143 Posts
Points 4,460
Answered (Verified) Joe replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 7:39 AM
Verified by Bandmama

I buy anything from random scraps to(rarely) the bolt, but I don't think that's entirely normal. I do buy lots of quarters. Most of the time I don't have a specific project in mind. I just say, man that looks like good turtle cloth, or sand, or old time, or maybe, I never saw that before, I'll take it all.

You can see from my weird wonders that I might use say one quarter for the shell of the baby magic kite turtle, less than an eighth for the legs and head. One two-inch square for the eyes, and lots of random parts for the sand.

Then of course you need big muslin or something for the back. That's where the bolt comes in. As I said, not normal, but one did ask.

Carry on.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624
Verified by Bandmama

Lucy, I buy at least 3 yds these days (I live at least 30 miles from a fabric store)and if it is a really good sale and I really like the fabric I will buy 5 or 6 yds as I piece my backs and that gives me extra for the back at a good price.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,618 Posts
Points 247,317
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:59 PM
Verified by Bandmama

I buy yardage and my set yardage is 3 yards of any fabric that I like - most quilt patterns the main fabric you are going to use - usually takes about 3 yards... if it calls for 3 1/4 yards I can usually squeeze my 3 yard cuts to make it.  I used to buy fat quarters and then a year or so down the road when I got ready to use that fabric I would find I didn't have enough so that is when I started buying the 3 yard cuts... and if I really like the fabric and know that I might use it in more then 1 quilt I sometimes buy 4 or 5 yards...

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530
Verified by Bandmama

Thea:

I have to agree with you Thea.

I have 2 HUGE tubs of fabric that my Mom gave to me that she bought from her quilt store but has decided she does not have time to quilt so I don't really need the stash.

Lucy, I don't think it's possible to have enough stash. I have a walk-in closet full of fabric on 3 shelving units and one dresser. I also have a huge shelving unit that won't fit in my closet, full of fabric. I'm now running out of room to put any fabric away. I make a lot of craft items, so I still buy fat quarters. When I do buy yardage, the very least I buy is 1 yard. Normally I also buy 3 yards.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
701 Posts
Points 13,295
Verified by Bandmama

Hello Bandmama,

I am new to this forum, but I love to shop the sales.  I am one that loves to have a pattern in mind first, I actually take the patterns with me, or at least have an idea of the quilt I want to make, that way I know about how much material I need. I think that is half the fun, to look for material that "lives" together and just wants to be put into my pattern.  That way, when I get home, I write down on scrap paper what each piece of material is for in the pattern, copy the pattern and put all in a container and mark the container.  This way, everything I need for that quilt is ready for me when I start cutting out.  I do still buy some fabric that I just love, if I do this, I usually get one yard and put those in with materials that match it. But this is just me. 

Michelle 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,180
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 1:41 AM
Verified by Bandmama

Lucy

When I buy fabric and don't have a project in mind I buy 3 yds.   If I think I may use it for backing I buy 10 yds since I do alot of king size quilts.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
1,527 Posts
Points 31,070
Diana replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 5:10 AM

Nana,  those aren't king size quilts, they're tents...hehehe  

I do the same thing, usually buy 3 yards if I like it.  Also more if it's something I know I'll use for more than one quilt.  I also love to do bindings with diagonal striped fabric.  I buy at least one yard which will do at least a queen or king size quilt.  I buy more if it's something that will get used a lot, like children's quilts. 

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 247,949
Verified by Bandmama

I to have started buying three yards when I buy. If I don't use it al I will still have fabric left over to do a scrappy.  I rarely buy fabric with a pattern in mind .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
143 Posts
Points 4,460
Answered (Verified) Joe replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 7:39 AM
Verified by Bandmama

I buy anything from random scraps to(rarely) the bolt, but I don't think that's entirely normal. I do buy lots of quarters. Most of the time I don't have a specific project in mind. I just say, man that looks like good turtle cloth, or sand, or old time, or maybe, I never saw that before, I'll take it all.

You can see from my weird wonders that I might use say one quarter for the shell of the baby magic kite turtle, less than an eighth for the legs and head. One two-inch square for the eyes, and lots of random parts for the sand.

Then of course you need big muslin or something for the back. That's where the bolt comes in. As I said, not normal, but one did ask.

Carry on.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
104 Posts
Points 1,780

Wow you guys are awesome!  3 yards it is then.  I wish now I had gone ahead and bought some of the fabric marked down to $3 when I was there yesterday but I really had no idea and no pattern with me.  Lots of it looked like Civil War era fabric and I love, love, love Civil War era quilts.

Michelle I've been like you so far in taking a copy of the pattern and shopping, BUT, I have 5 quilts in the making right now and really want to finish at least 3 of them before I start cutting up another project.  On the other hand a good sale is hard to pass up lol.

Thank you all so very much for your replies.  I really appreciate you!

Lucy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 247,949

Lucy, when fabric is on sale ,you don't have to have a project in mind to buy it , You just buy it . then when you do find a project you want to do the fabic is there.  Always a great way to build up your stash . We will make a fabricholic out of you yet..LOL   

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624
Verified by Bandmama

Lucy, I buy at least 3 yds these days (I live at least 30 miles from a fabric store)and if it is a really good sale and I really like the fabric I will buy 5 or 6 yds as I piece my backs and that gives me extra for the back at a good price.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
104 Posts
Points 1,780
Bandmama replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:01 PM

Well I seriously think I successfully added to my stash today.  I bought almost 22 yards of fabric and 2 new books!  Merry Christmas to me :-).  Most of it was end of bolt and didn't have 3 yards but I did manage to get at least 2 yards of everything and them some.  I bought lots of greens, yellows, and creams/tans for a log cabin quilt I want to make in the near future for my son's room.  I figure since it is log cabin and strips I'll have plenty to play with for a good long while.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

WTG BAndmama, now we expect to see pictures of lots of cool quilts!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
104 Posts
Points 1,780

Well that is the plan but I will warn you I'm a single mom of 2 teenagers, work a full time job, participate in 2 BOM clubs at my local quilt shop and I'm very s-l-o-w.   I do expect to get a few done though!

Spudgrandma:

WTG BAndmama, now we expect to see pictures of lots of cool quilts!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530

Bandmama:

Well I seriously think I successfully added to my stash today.  I bought almost 22 yards of fabric and 2 new books!  Merry Christmas to me :-).  Most of it was end of bolt and didn't have 3 yards but I did manage to get at least 2 yards of everything and them some.  I bought lots of greens, yellows, and creams/tans for a log cabin quilt I want to make in the near future for my son's room.  I figure since it is log cabin and strips I'll have plenty to play with for a good long while.

See Lucy. You can never have too much fabric. I bet you had a ball.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use