Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 7 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 653
Points 12,345
Michelle replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:57 AM

Susie,

I also like the Pilates, I used a trainer for a few months, then I found on Craigs list an AirPilates machine for little of nothing.  I love it.  It really helps build the core and keeps me more limber.  Not for weight loss.  I love the Zumba.  Have been looking for a class that I could follow the Instructor, not too fast, and also not expensive.  Kept looking and finally found one within miles of my house. At the senior center, so ladies there to just get healthier, not crazy on the dancing.  Just to have fun and only $30 for 10 classes.  I love it and the time goes by fast.  I know I loved Zumba but not the cost and driving to the classes. Keep looking for something that you love, then you will keep at it.  Just walking with a friend in the fresh air helps.  

I do protein shakes sometimes. I have a membership with Advocare (not selling, just buying for me). I love their vitamins and the protein shakes taste so good.  I do the vanilla and mix with a banana, then blend for a few minutes. I think the blending also makes them alot airier and fills you up. I only do 1/2 the mix per day as they are alot of calories, but I don't snack when eating or drinking protein.  Just a few thoughts.  

The main thing is something you will keep up, not feel deprived and eating more healthy on a daily basis, not just dieting.  Thanks what got us in this situation!!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:17 AM

WOW!  Just got through reading all the posts and realized I could've been the one writing most of them.  Thank you girls for your candor.  Makes me want to fess up about my weight.  I'm 75 years young and I'm only 4'11" tall.  I'm just so ashamed of my weight at this point I don't think I will until I lose the first 10 lbs.  At that point, I'll be well on my way and will not be so ashamed.  Bear with me girls, please.

Now for my excuse for gaining the last 50 pounds.  As some of you know, 4 years ago I lost my husband in November and that following February, My beautiful daughter Deb, who had lung cancer.  For a year and a half after her diagnosis, my DH and I were with her daily, taking her to appointments, taking her out to lunch, dinner and snacks.  That reeks havoc on anyones diet.  I cooked maybe 5 times at home during all that time.  When my DH died in November, I had to deal with the next 3 months alone knowing I would be losing my DD soon so I ate for comfort.  Well here it is 4 years later and I still miss them as if it were yesterday that I lost them and still being comforted by the food.  ENOUGH!  They are with me in spirit everyday but they are not coming back and it's time for me to realize that and take responsibility for my actions, do something about my weight.  I'm going to give it my very best effort with your help.  Thank you all for being there for me, I'll be there for you as well.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:19 AM

Ok...here is a picture.  I weigh 185 and am 5'4".  My goal is 150 to start with.  Actually my first goal is too get back into the 170's.  why is it so hard? 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:30 AM

OK, here I am.  I used to be 5'7 1/2 but have shrunk.  So I think I am a little under 5'7" now.   208.4 pounds.  2 views.  I find it easiest to look at myself face forward rather than my side view.  So I am posting both.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:32 AM

I want to thank you all.   Reading the posts, I don't feel so alone in this struggle anymore.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:37 AM

I think I'll probably stick with Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies (anyone besides me old enough to remember his striped shorts? LOL!) 

I absolutely love Richard Simmons, and this is my favorite video of his!  I have it, and was just thinking, I would find it and start using it again, I know all the music and the moves.    Lol, yeah Richard!!!   Thanks Susie!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,420
Bev replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 12:11 PM

I think it is funny that making a New Years resolution for losing weight is one of the first to be forgotten by February. Having friends even online should just be the "push" needed to stick to our guns. 

There are soo many products in the store for weight loss including protein shakes which could be very expensive in the long run and may have ingredients you may not want in your diet. As for protein shakes I have read that the body can only process so much protein at a time. I don't know if that only applies to actual food or any type of protein. Also, don't really know if it is true.

It has been said that we should shop around the perimeter of a store which would eliminate all processes food. While I agree to a big extent there are some processed foods I don't want to do without. How can we cook without them?

I think as long as we don't skip meals, get our protein, fiber and other vitamins/nutrients we would be off to a good start. I will say if I am quilting or online I will eat while I am occupied. I eat slower which is good for my IBS.

We all will have to find what works for us with our lifestyle meaning if we are still working or enjoying time at home. 

So for me I will try not to skip breakfast luckily I love oatmeal  and lunch (which I usually forget) For anyone with acid reflux I have to make myself walk in house for about 5 minutes after eating. I was on Prilosec for awhile and found that if I don't skip meals and walk I don't need it.  When I do have indigestion I chew some celery. 

I truly believe everything in moderation and we won't feel deprived. One Doctor on TV says we should eat wisely/healthy 6 days a week and eat things we enjoy one day. Of course that does not mean a bag of cookies or OD on ice cream.lol

My plan is to Eat, Drink and be Merry!

That is eat right, drink lots of water/tea, and dance or walk to music

How hard could it be? Right?

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 12:34 PM

Bev

It is true that the body can not process large amounts of protein at one time.  For the most part though what we eat in a days time is not a problem.  Just don't overload on high protein shakes.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 1:09 PM

Candis:

I think I'll probably stick with Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies (anyone besides me old enough to remember his striped shorts? LOL!) 

Candis, I certainly remember him and his red striped shorts, I wonder what he is up to these days.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 1:20 PM

My problem is not sweets, very seldom eat them.    But now if you tie a big old fatty fried pork chop to the end of a pole you can lead me anywhere,  then add some biscuits and gravy im done for.

I am 5"3 and I weigh 183lbs, I will get a pic as soon as some one comes to visit me,  I hate to have my pic taken, because it shows me how big I really am, I never look in a full length mirror.

[Ava, Missouri

replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 1:26 PM

Leslie :

My problem is not sweets, very seldom eat them.    But now if you tie a big old fatty fried pork chop to the end of a pole you can lead me anywhere,  then add some biscuits and gravy im done for.

I am 5"3 and I weigh 183lbs, I will get a pic as soon as some one comes to visit me,  I hate to have my pic taken, because it shows me how big I really am, I never look in a full length mirror.

OK that had me really laughing out loud!!!  Put some fresh baked bread to that and some tators and I am with you!! You so funny!!   Marie I have seen Richard S on a few TV shows, He is older but still wearing those shorts, and still motivating people, He is also still in great shape!! What a guy...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 1:28 PM

Ok a couple of points before i begin,

1. Patti no way are you alone and on this i think we all struggle together (and just think if we are chatting on here we are not eating, if you are learn to touch type then you cant eat)

2. Marie honey i can only imagine what a tough time you have had, we are here when you need a virtual hug or a kick up the butt (nana seems to be very good at those)

Thank you to those who suggested using my fitnesspal.com ive signed up for that and its certainly making me think about what im eating.

This morning i went and exercised on my Nintendo Wii for 15 mins havent been on it for 162 days or so it told me, i was sure it hadnt been that long so i went on the segway circuit only to run out of time before i could catch the thing im supposed to, did the step aerobics that went okay, did the obstacle course where i got knocked into the sea 3 times and did the cycling which didnt go too bad but tommorrow i will do the next step up from beginners cycling which is more uphill so have to move my legs up and down more.

If nothing else its got me doing something oh and ive ordered a step thing that measures how far you walk.

Hope everyone elses day is going okay.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 1:34 PM

Candis, lol i forgot all about the tators and fresh baked bread.   now im making myself hungry. lol   I will probably do WW again since I already have all the books

[Ava, Missouri

replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 1:47 PM

Leslie :

Candis, lol i forgot all about the tators and fresh baked bread.   now im making myself hungry. lol   I will probably do WW again since I already have all the books

W.W.  me too I have been on it a million times, but it is the easiest and most satisfying to me, since then I can eat anything, and gradually make better choices.  So WW it is for me.  But you still crack me up!! And I needed that. Just the image of that makes me giggle!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 2:42 PM

Marie:

Linda, I love your little fuzzy pal posing beside you, he's a cutie.  How tall are you?

My little fuzzy pal is Indy who gives me the reason to get out and walk....it's better than having the mess in the house. I'm 4'10" thanks to osteoporosis. Notice I can't stand straight and I lean to the left now? That's from the fact that my spine is weakening . The accident damage some vertibra and now they are getting weaker. Even when I sit I lean to the left unless I prop myself with pillows. It will take the pressure off my spine if I loose weight. I'm on pain pills now and one of the reasons the doctor wouldn't allow me to travel. I have to have a traveling companion now to help me.  I'm getting off the subject...sorry.

Page 7 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use