Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 62 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 60 61 62 63 64 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 12:21 PM

Have any of you thought about joining MyFitnessPal? It's a free online weight loss program.

Rhonnie - we have one for my work thru Personalized Prevention, called Wellness Works.  It's part of a healthy challenge we have going on right now - record what you eat, your weight and exercise daily and there are weekly $25 cash rewards to 2 people, then there will be some more rewards to the top losers, in essence.  Also you individually have rewards for participating, thru a points system.  I've been using it faithfully so it has helped me,  like you say be aware of what I'm eating and how much exercise I do. 

matter of fact, I need to go post last night's supper and today's food. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20
Meg replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 12:35 PM

I'm in.  I have 40 lbs to lose.  Following a program called Prizm.  It's based on 1200 calories a day with a daily workbook and spiritual component.  Lost 2.5 lbs for each of the first two weeks.    This week the program threw me a curve.  It says to stay off of the scale for the next 4 weeks.  It will be the first time in years that I haven't weighed myself daily.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 2:12 PM

Marie:
I am craving candy but I don't have any in the house.  When I get like this there's no method to my madness.  I just eat anything and everything in sight, it doesn't matter what.  

Marie, I am just as bad with chocolate as a smoker.  I really cannot quit with just one!  I start out telling myself that I will eat just one...but that never works.  So, I now know that about myself.  I cannot eat even one little M&M!  If I do, it is over for me!  So, they are no longer allowed in my house...lol!

You might try Thea's suggestion of using other foods that metabolize to sugar in your system to reduce the cravings.  I haven't specifically tried that.

For me, I just had to tough it through the cravings by eating pieces of fruit instead (apple slices, bananas, oranges, etc...whatever you like).  They do have sugar but are much healthier for you...and much less sugar than candy.  I have found after a few weeks without sugary foods, any candy, cake, cookie, etc. tastes almost "gaggingly" sweet - to the point that I don't even like it.  But, if I keep eating it, that feeling goes away quickly and I am hooked again right away.  Sound like a cigarette addict?  Yep!

I am very determined this time to keep away from sweets - period.  So far, so good!  

But keep trying, Marie.  If you think you have the will-power, go for one treat (a hershey kiss?) at bed-time.  I have one friend, that has one piece of Dove candy at bed-time every night as a reward for eating "smart" all day.  That works for her, but not for me.

If it won't work for you either, you may need to go cold-turkey like me...

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 2:19 PM

Not boring Marie,  i bet you can look at any room in your house and see your kids when they were little and your DH and all the great memories, you shared.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 2:22 PM

I am not concidering this to be a diet, but to try and teach myself healthier eating habits.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 2:38 PM

Leslie :

I am not concidering this to be a diet, but to try and teach myself healthier eating habits.

Leslie, absolutely...couldn't agree more!

But, some of us have developed some very poor eating habits over the years that really do take effort to reverse.  

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 3:10 PM

Meg:
 Following a program called Prizm.

this is a wonderful program.  A few years ago I lost over 50 pounds on it.  But then life got stressful, I went on a medication that caused wt gain, and have struggled ever since. (I am no longer on that medication.)   I am finding though for me that gradual is better, allowing myself occasional treats.  With Prism I had to completely deprive myself of treats.  All I could think about was food when I was on Prism.  Now  just trying to eat healthy and smaller portions most of the time I think will be able to keep the wt off later when I reach my goal

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,020
Points 169,518
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 5:59 PM

Donna B:
If it won't work for you either, you may need to go cold-turkey like me.

I've been doing it "cold turkey" since mid December.  I've had a few sweets since but not my usual all or nothing but now the craving is sort of like a drug addicts craving for drugs.

Thea, what would you suggest to substitute that craving?  I went to a birthday party today and fully intended to have a small piece of cake with frosting on it  to get it out of my system but guess what?  The birthday girl is diabetic and there was no cake!  Not a sweet thing to be had.  (loud scream from me)  Now I'm craving even more!  I think I'd better go to bed now, maybe tomorrow will be better.  I know the Lord has a hand in this because I pray for him to help me get through these cravings and he was doing just that today, no temptations in front of me.  I should be thankful but no I have to complain about my cravings!  Sorry Lord.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,020
Points 169,518
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 6:01 PM

You are right, Leslie, thanks for reminding me.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 6:35 PM

Marie, if you need a sweet have it,  its not good to deprive yourself, that just makes the problem worse,  when i  start craving i eat it and then im done

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,928
Points 233,812
Thea replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 7:43 PM

Marie:
Thea, what would you suggest to substitute that craving?

Marie - i would recommend the large leafy green vegetables - plus broccolli and brussel sprouts... all are good for promoting natural insulin which causes you not to want sugar - then there is that saying about an apple a day keeps the doctor away - well actually apples are very good - high in magnesium and good for the digestion.  you could also get some cheese snacks and eat those - they are very good for the diet.  any groupings of nuts too - if there is one that you like - very good for your system - peanut butter on your toast in the morning is good for you too and will keep sugar headaches at bay.  

this is all I could think of off the top of my head if I think of any more I'll let you know - if I get cravings for sugar I usually go to the fridge for an apple - I keep golden delicious here all the time as they are my favorite.  I so seldom ever really want chocolate but when I do I usually just eat a candy bar - but if you find you can't stop at just one then try eating the above items and don't tempt yourself with a candy bar... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,020
Points 169,518
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 7:49 PM

Leslie :

Marie, if you need a sweet have it,  its not good to deprive yourself, that just makes the problem worse,  when i  start craving i eat it and then im done

Leslie, the problem is that I don't keep it in the house because I'd eat more than one piece. I did find some marshmallow fluff so I had two rice cakes with peanut butter and fluff.  I hope that will do it for me.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,020
Points 169,518
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 7:58 PM

Thanks, Thea, I will try your suggestions.

Millbury, MA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 344
Points 5,990
PennyWyo replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 9:10 PM

Debbie:

Have any of you thought about joining MyFitnessPal? It's a free online weight loss program.

Debbie, I'm using MyFitnessPal right now.  I actually quit this group in the beginning because I was so frustrated that I just kept eating.  Then my husband got me an i-phone and my sister-in-law told me about the free app.  I've been on it for a little over two weeks now and have lost 6.4 pounds.  My SIL has lost almost 42 pounds and looks super.  Between my eliptical and playing tennis, I excercise alot so I was amazed at the exercise I got.  It allows me to eat more calories.  Glad to be back in the group!

Penny

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 9:42 PM

Penny, thats great

[Ava, Missouri

Page 62 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 60 61 62 63 64 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use