Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 6 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,598
Points 26,880
Debbie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:30 AM

Thank you, all so much, for all your stories which give me hope.  I really feel short, only 5.2" tall at 190 lbs so I'm obese!  Gosh, never thought I would say that about myself.  But I won't be by the end of 2013, I can do this!! 

I've always said God has a sense of humor - I've fought minor weight problems my whole life -[always needed to lose 10-20 lbs, and then 20-40 and now 40-60 lbs] and he gives me the three skinniest children - son weighs 140 at 5'9"; oldest daughter is 5'4" and 110; and youngest is 5" and weighs about 95 lbs. 

Like you gals, sweets and chocolate - sugar is my worst enemy - my husband jokes that I like a little coffee in my cream and sugar.  Very true!  Also, have a little plaque in my kitchen that says "Grandma's Kitchen - everything made with love and an extra spoon of sugar"  All those extra spoons have caught up with me, mostly over the last sive-six years. 

Why do I need to lose - need to spell it out for myself and be honest - pre diabetic, high blood pressure, lower back pain, occiptial nerve pain, thyroid problems, joints are starting to hurt everywhere - especially back pain - lots of muscle spasms, hips and knee joints and arthritis in my fingers and feet.  Yuup!  that's enough!  After all if I don't where will I be in 5 years when ready to retire(which I would love to do right now!)  have things I want to do - like travel, volunteer and more quilting. 

Bring on 2013 - I'm ready for it!!!  here's comes a skinnier me. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 5
replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:36 AM

Star and Sabrina and Linda and Debbie. Such brave souls!  I also hate Pictures, I also am so ashamed of how I look that I try not to go anywhere. I won't shop, I live in sweats and a jacket, for work nice scrubs and a jacket. Like In my mind the jacket will hide all!  I do not go around family. Haven't seen any of them in maybe 10 years.  I first want to feel better than of oarse look better. I just want to look in the mirror and turn away disgusted with myself. Star, your story is so similar to mine. I call myself a stress eater, but I am a carb freak. I eat when I'm depressed, stressed, happy , whatever.   But Like I said, I am going to confess it all here. Don't know which eating plan That works, never stuck to one long enough. I have lost and gained the same 20 lbs so many times!!  Ok here goes!  (Gulp).   234.4 lbs this Am.  I am 5 ft 4 also.  I will post a pic later today. If I have the nerve.  If I wait Till Jan. 1 it is just my excuse again to eat all the good tasting bad for me foods, I am great at rationalizing.   Thanks to all of you! I really mean that, maybe we can save each others life!    

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 702
Points 13,315
Michelle replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:44 AM

Patti,

I also would like to join in on this.  I started losing weight last April and lost slowly 15 lbs over a 3 month period.  Put an app on my phone, called MyFitnessPal (free) and i log on what I eat during the day.  First off, I realized how many calories is in my coffee creamer and how much creamer I was putting in my coffee that I carried around ALL DAY!!  Just making that change, measuring and using only sugar free, took off 500 calories a day.  Then I started actually measuring portion sizes. AMAZING what a real portion is.  I do try keeping to the 1200 calories a day, also was supported by my physician. I am an RN but I did check with phy first. Added a few other apps as well as the Fitbit to my workout.  I am now starting a 2 day a week Zumba class at the senior center, So fun!! So that will add more steps to my workout on the FitBit.  I do love the FitBit as you can't cheat  on how much activity you think you are doing.  I only weigh in about once a week but will do that today and post that and a before picture of where I am now.  I think the group accountability will be great.  Thanks!!

Michelle

from southern Texas

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,598
Points 26,880
Debbie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:44 AM

I know menopause wreaks havoc on your body.  27 years ago in May, I had a partial hysterectomy at age 33 - my left ovary had grown to three times its normal size, then hormones and thyroid problems didn't help.  Plus I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and the fact the I AM BASICALLY VERY LAZY!!!  don't like exercise, there I have said it.  We have a treadmill, $400 it costs us, and it sits in the bedroom collecting dust and clothes. 

Time to dust it off since it has been so cold and get my butt out of bed early and get on it.  I know I can't lose by just dieting - doesn't work for me, I need to do some exercise and even 1-2 miles walking a day would help. 

I like Star's eating schedule - since he's told me I'm pre siabetic I'm hungry all the time.  wake up in the middle of the night but I do try to eat fruit, not junk food then.  What kind of protein shakes do you drink?  Seen commercial for Glucerna and wondered about them?  anyone tried them - good or bad?

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:53 AM

Sabrina! You have a waist! I am so impressed by this! I haven't had a waist line in over 20 years!  I want one again so bad! And not to have a built in apron! I hate that!  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,598
Points 26,880
Debbie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:00 AM

okay, this was in Sep at my younger brother's funeral.  I'm not alone in being overweight as you can see from my Dad and two brothers. 

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,598
Points 26,880
Debbie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:02 AM

and my hair would be just as white as the guys if I didn't color it!

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:08 AM

Hcim55:
would be very interested in your meal plans, I hope you will share your with us. I struggle with getting enough protein in a given day. Have you tried protein shakes, and if you have what brand do you use?

Michelle - I am currently out of the bars, have not bought any for a while. I just get them at Kroger, grocery, hopefully on sale. I will let you know what kind when I get some more. They are not the usual power bar or Cliff bar, those just have two many carbs for me. I try to keep the carbs down because I am a carbaholic, I really like the phase when the urge to splurge on all the carbs goes away. I try to eat organic, reading about clean eating right now, getting closer to the food roots, eliminating the processed foods. Anyway, that's the plan!

I really looks like we have a good group shaping up here. We all need the support, encouragement, and accountability to stick with it. I also like the Idea of a weight loss challenge/support group right on the quilting website, saves a lot ot time!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:12 AM

Michelle:
Put an app on my phone, called MyFitnessPal (free) and i log on what I eat during the day.  First off, I realized how many calories is in my coffee creamer and how much creamer I was putting in my coffee that I carried around ALL DAY!!  Just making that change, measuring and using only sugar free, took off 500 calories a day.  Then I started actually measuring portion sizes. AMAZING what a real portion is.  I do try keeping to the 1200 calories a day, also was supported by my physician. I am an RN but I did check with phy first. Added a few other apps as well as the Fitbit to my workout.  I am now starting a 2 day a week Zumba class at the senior center, So fun!! So that will add more steps to my workout on the FitBit.  I do love the FitBit as you can't cheat  on how much activity you think you are doing.  I only weigh in about once a week but will do that today and post that and a before picture of where I am now.  I think the group accountability will be great.  Thanks!!

Michelle B - I have my FitBit one synced with the MyFitnessPal app on my Iphone. The two work great together if actually used. Good for you on the Zumba.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,674
Points 179,313
Marie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:19 AM

Bev, don't sit on the couch, join us, it's not a competition as far as I'm concerned.  We will all do the best we can, share problems we're having, share recipes, share successes and failures and cheer each other on.  The only thing we'll have to lose is weight, if not, at least we'll cheer those on who do.  Win/win!

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:24 AM

I forgot the shakes. I actually use Medifast shakes. My doctor sells them and keeps pushing Medifast. I prefer to just change my regular eating habits, however the shakes come in very handy. I only like the chocolate ones and can make them with coffee and have a guilt free mocha. Haha, I actually typed quilt free and had to change it LOL. I will swing by the doctors office later this week and stock up again. I have also tried the low carb version of EOS shakes, not bad, but a bit expensive. My sister uses the slimfast low, whatever, shake. Carbs are low and protein is decent. She gets a big container of the powder formula at Wallmart and mixes the shake herself.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 702
Points 13,315
Michelle replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:26 AM

Yes, I did sync the FitBit to the MyFitnessPal.  I do notice that I have to be near the plugged in base, which plugs into my laptop, for it to synch to the amount I exercise. That is ok as I don't want to eat those calories that it will give me.  I didn't realize that when I first got it.  The Fitbit will put in more calories that you worked off, but the MyFitness app will add those to the amount you can eat during the day as Remaining Calories . I ate the extra  a few days before I realized that!! lol.   I watch that more carefully now.  I also like the ability to talk into it to add foods and the scanning if you eat something prepared.  I have to make most of my foods as I have a gluten allergy, but it also has all the gluten free foods in the app, which makes it very user friendly. 

Michelle 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:42 AM

Candis:
I live in sweats and a jacket, for work nice scrubs and a jacket. Like In my mind the jacket will hide all!

Candis, that used to be me, but after I lost all that weight I started dressing better. This past summer, even as round as I am, I wore tank tops and skorts all summer. Lots of dresses too, and not big muumuu trype dresses, form fitted ones, well I also wore spanx, like that actually helped, but I felt I was jiggling less. I get lots of complements on my looks, and yes the guys hit on me all the time. Oh well, there is no accounting for taste.Maybe it is the fact that I do show a bit of cleavage. As my 5' 10" sister says if youv'e got it flaunt it! Of course she is talking about her long legs.

I just do not want to go back to big baggy clothes, I feel so much better dressed nice. OK, don't look at the London pictures, we were going for comfort and warmth. I also almost always wear shoes, or boots this time of the year, with a heel. That really makes me feel better, as long as I am not actually doing much walking.

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I've been pretty depressed and really do try to get up, dressed, with makeup on and hair straightened, and go out. I only manage a couple of times a week, but that is better than not at all. I hate to think where I would be by now if I only stayed home. I think curled up in a fetal position in bed. It's hard enough to get out of bed everyday.  Although, I am in hiding until I get my hair colored again. Really, I am so not ready for grey hair, impending grandmotherhood or not!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,580
Points 23,980
Susie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:43 AM

I'm in!  My doc wants me to lose 65-70# and has cleared me for all activity, pending pain & exhaustion.  With me not working, I had to cancel my gym membership.  However, I do have several videos, my daughter has a WII and we have Netflix.

I've tried pilates and it's really bad.  I just can't seem to do it without laughing my fool head off.  Same with Zumba, although Zumba was fun, it was pretty funny.  About the time I figured out the steps, the leader changed them!  I think I'll probably stick with Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies (anyone besides me old enough to remember his striped shorts? LOL!) 

Anyway, now that my fruitcake is gone, I can work on eating healthier.  I need to get back to my icky protein shakes.  I really don't like them, they are gritty to me, but I know that the protein will help me lose weight.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:52 AM

Susie:
I need to get back to my icky protein shakes.  I really don't like them, they are gritty to me, but I know that the protein will help me lose weight.

Hi Susie, Try mixing the shakes in a personal blender like a magic bullet, or one of the small handheld ones. Failing that, try making them up the day before and put them in the refrigerator. They will be smoother the next day, once you get them mixed back up that is. I used to use smaller size mason jars, as I have a strong aversion to having my food in anything plastic. Also, try the chocolate ones!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 6 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use