Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 59 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 57 58 59 60 61 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 10:53 AM

Good job Annie, keep up the good work!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 693
Points 13,210
Michelle replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 11:00 AM
Yes, still involved. I read all the posts and it makes me remember to put in my foods in myfitnesspal. I'm also doing Zumba 2 days a week and Pilates at least 3 days to stretch my back and legs. And work the core. Did Zumba today for an hour and got 7500 steps in the class that registered on my fitbit!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 11:16 AM

Annie:
 I have lost a total of 14.5 lbs. since we started this thread.  

Annie, congratulations on your lost pounds since the first of the year!  That is awesome!!!  

As you can see, the numbers posting here have dwindle over the last six weeks.   I hope you will find the time to post every few days so we can see what your  'secret to success' has been.  The more that join in the merrier!!!  

Now you are all going to laugh, but after doing a fair amount of research I am pretty convinced that I have not been eating enough.  I know, but don't laugh too hard... there is actually a lot of scientific research to support that eating more and healthier (with exercise) will promote weight loss. 

As a result, my  body is really hanging onto the fat-stores that I have accumulated...NOT GOOD!  This explains why my loss has been very small even though I am active and exercising vigorously at least  270 min a week (in 3-4 sessions) and have dropped all the unhealthy snacks.  I have been increasing my calorie intake (and not gaining weight) over the last 4 weeks and according to what I am reading it takes about 4-6 weeks for the scales to start dropping.  Hopefully, this will be the answer for me and I will start to see some significant downward movement on the scales by March 1st.

If anyone else is eating 1200 calories a day and not losing weight, let me know!  We need to stick together!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 11:21 AM

Michelle:
Yes, still involved. I read all the posts and it makes me remember to put in my foods in myfitnesspal. I'm also doing Zumba 2 days a week and Pilates at least 3 days to stretch my back and legs. And work the core. Did Zumba today for an hour and got 7500 steps in the class that registered on my fitbit!

Good for you Michelle!  It looks like you are very active and that is great.  Keep it up!  

Are you recording your exercise of MFP too?  Are you following their suggestion to "eat your exercise calories"?

Please keep posting!!!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 12:59 PM

Donna B:
As a result, my  body is really hanging onto the fat-stores that I have accumulated...NOT GOOD!  This explains why my loss has been very small even though I am active and exercising vigorously at least  270 min a week (in 3-4 sessions) and have dropped all the unhealthy snacks.  I have been increasing my calorie intake (and not gaining weight) over the last 4 weeks and according to what I am reading it takes about 4-6 weeks for the scales to start dropping.  Hopefully, this will be the answer for me and I will start to see some significant downward movement on the scales by March 1st.

Donna,

One of the reasons I switched over to Low Carb diet is because I feel that I see a considerable difference in the way I lose weight on it.  Low carbs seem to address my fat stores a lot better than a low cal diet.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 2:10 PM

Donna, you are right about not eating enough.   I dont start losing untill i make myself eat at least 1200 cals a day

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,584
Points 26,505
Debbie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 9:49 PM

well, not the best news from the dr today.  I am going to try some physical theraphy and see if it will help but he feels the only relief I'll get is through surgery.  Would have to fuse two discs together and then one vertebrae is causing stenosis (pinching my nerve).  notice every day I wake up so stiff and achy, not sure how long I can endure before I say, "Let's just do it!" 

Be drawback is being off work - minimum 6-8 weeks and he tells me the recovery pain is alot worse than I had with my cervical surgery, which really was nothing.  Need to build up some more sick leave and vacation time before doing this, so looking at early November for surgery.  that would be 6 years since I had my other surgery.   

such is life!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 9:55 PM

Debbie, so sorry to hear this

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 10:18 PM

Debbie:
I am going to try some physical therapy and see if it will help but he feels the only relief I'll get is through surgery. 

Debbie, I too am so sorry to hear this.  I also had spinal surgery last summer, in the lumber area for a synovial cyst pressing on the sciatic nerve.  From that, I now know how severe nerve pain is.  To be honest, before that experience I had no idea!  I still have arthritis in my lower back, but I am learning to live with it. But at least the sciatic pain is gone...thank God (and modern medicine)!!!

I still think it won't hurt to try PT and see if it offers you any relief.  Even when I was at my worst, the PT was able to offer me some basic stretches that helped to relieve some of the stiffness in my lower back before I got out of bed in the morning.  It wasn't 100% relief, but it did help!

From another perspective, be thankful that there is something that can be done to help you.  I have a sister with severe lower back nerve pain as a result of neuropathy (due to uncontrolled diabetes). So far there doesn't seem to be any options for her other than pain meds... which have a lot of bad side effects. (They are trying ImmunoGlobulin(sic) therapy, but so far there is no improvement.)

I know Nana just had a spinal fusion that was very successful.  So, keep a positive outlook!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 7:28 AM

Debbie,

So sorry to hear about your pain.  I hope you are able to have the surgery soon and that all your pain will be gone.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 10:00 AM

Debbie, sorry you are going through so much pain.  I hope the PT helps enough until you can get surgery. 

Yesterday I got on the bathroom scales naked and first thing in the morning.  Finally under 200 pounds.  At work when I started I was 208.4 dressed of course, with shoes.  So I figure I have lost about 5 pounds. 

The best thing is that I am feeling so much better.  In part because I can no longer eat big meals.  It hurts, and not just that stuffed feeling.  I'll see the doc next month and will see what that is all about.  I think I have a hiatal hernia.  But also I have been exercising.  The cross country skiing and walking.  I am finding that my various back pains are less.   With the exercise, I stretch in various ways that I normally don't do.  Perhaps that is it.  I have been so fortunate not to have the kind of pain so many of you do. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,584
Points 26,505
Debbie replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 6:32 PM

Thanks, everyone.  It is so nice to have caring friends like you all. 

Bad news, too - I had gained 3 lbs over the weekend and still have 1.5 to lose of it.  Then we have a salty-n-sweet party at work today, but I did well.  I ate 2 small pieces of the angel food cake with pineapple and then a sliver of southwest chicken roll and some dark chocolates.  then for supper I had a weight loss shake to offset all the other and an apple. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 6:56 PM

Patti, i have yhe same problem,  My Dr told me everyone has a hiatal hernia,  its when we start puttin on the weight in are stomach that the problem starts because the fat starts putting pressur on it and it has no where to go which causes the pain.  Mine is getting better since i have lost some fat in that area

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,584
Points 26,505
Debbie replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 9:24 AM

My DH had hiatal hernia repair about 20+ years ago - they wrap the esophagus in a loop so acid doesn't build up in it.  He hasn't had indigestion since except occasionally.  I know I take Nexium every night and it helps tremendously, no indigestion except on occasion if I eat something really wild that's out of my norm. 

I also have IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome and have to watch what I eat very closely, never any spicy food!  Buffets and pot lucks are not good choices for me.  I've just learned what my limits are and eat accordingly.  If I have an episode where I get off my normal routine I suffer for 3-4 days to get back to my normal.  It's not fun but I know it's how I have to live and so try to make wise choices.  It's funny, because it took almost 25 years before they decided that's what I had.  Course, that's what they call it when the dr don't know what else to call it and it doesn't fit with any known bowel diseases.   

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 10:46 PM

I was a very bad girl today!  I ate almost 400 calories more than I burned...not good at all.  As this was the first day I have been out of the valley in over 2 months (drove to the "big" city 100 miles away) and did some major shopping (Costco, etc.).  So no exercise today either to offset anything!   We treated ourselves to lunch at a fast-food restaurant.  I did get a chicken sandwich (took off the top bun) and a small fries...but it still added up to a huge number for me.  Plus, to make it even worse, we bought a take and bake pizza at Costco to bring home for dinner...I was doomed!  

Now I am asking myself why I didn't let DH & DS#2 eat the pizza and get a Lean Cuisine meal out of the freezer for myself!!!    Obviously, this enlightenment didn't dawn on me until both slices had been consumed...sigh.

My one saving grace is that I am participating in a major ski event tomorrow...not a race, but kind of a celebration of nordic skiing in our valley called the Tour of the Methow.  You can pick one of several or all routes to ski for the day from 5 kilometers to 80 kilometers.  I, DH and friends are signed up to do a 20 Kilometer loop tomorrow morning...so I should burn quite a few calories with that (and obviously I NEED TO)!  (DS#2 is doing 60K and if the conditions are good, he may do 80K. Obviously, he is in pretty good shape and a very good skier!  We should have let him eat the pizza alone...LOL!)

Well, this is the first time I have really had a serious lapse since the first of the year...but I didn't eat any candy or sweets, so...  I am going to move forward and remember next time to get a salad for lunch and have the lean cuisine meal for dinner...YES!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 65
Page 59 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 57 58 59 60 61 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use