Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 45 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:00 AM

Debbie, way to go!!  You are well on your way and YES YOU CAN!!!!!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:04 AM

Pat Lancaster:

I have starded to read this board and would like to say that all of you are doing great things for yourself! I am not prepared to join you all right now becasue of my life situation right now. I need to lose 50 pounds and get back to exercising. My doctor tells me to lose weight and exercise more everytime I see him. I know it will improve my quality of life. I am currently staying with my best friend. she has terminal liver cancer and probably has less than a week to live. She is at home with Hospice care. At this point Hospice is not here a lot. So her DIL and I are on duty. My friend is one of the sweetest, nicest ladies you would ever meet. She is probably about 5 feet tall and I am guessing weighs close to 300 pounds. Everything we have to do for her is made more difficult because of her weight.  This morning when we put her on the potty chair she was able to help us a little.But, there is a significant loss of strenght from yesterday.. i don't know if we will be able to get her out of the bed the next time. i don't regret being here, but this experience has made it more urgent to me to lose this weight. I never really thought about weight loss from this point of view and I don't mean to be morbid, I just wanted to share this experience with you all and perhaps give you another reason to pass on that _________________. Fill int the blank with your biggest temptation. Hope all of you have a wonderful, healthful day.

fill the

GOD BLESS YOU PAT!  What a wonderful friend you are.  My prayers going up for your friend, her family and you.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:07 AM

Michelle, congrats on another 2 lbs down.  I think you put in your exercise this week with those 3 flights and weights/boxes in your arms.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:11 AM

Donna, thank you for sharing your story about your DS.  So sorry she ended up that way and so glad we are taking steps never to let that happen to us.  Prayers for her and your family.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:13 AM

Patti, good news, I'm doing the Happy Dance for you, WTG!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:21 AM

Brandy, you are soooo beautiful, look at you!  You are going to do this, girl, and we will be here to help you every step of the way!  It won't be a smooth journey, it never is, so don't expect perfection.  We all have setbacks, it's just what we do afterwards that counts.  I'm so excited for you, a whole new world is waiting for Brandy!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:28 AM

Debbie:
Ya'll make me weep with happiness!

Debbie, I have tears in my eyes right now for the same reason.  My chosen family, I love you!

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 12:00 PM

Marie:

Donna, thanks for your support in my journey to better health.  Unfortunately, I haven't walked this week at all.    That being said, I have stuck to the food plan and have lost another 1.5 lbs.  No promises this week because I always break promises to myself but seldom to others.  I will give it my best effort next week, I did feel so much better after that short walk, endorphins'  I guess.

Congratulations Marie on 1.5 pounds lost! (That is more than I have accomplished with lots of exercise.)   

But, no more excuses...please make time for YOU right now! All it takes is 30 minutes a day!  Now, I am sure you can find 30 minutes some where in your busy day to do this for yourself...lol!  This is your chance, so please take it with us!!!  With what you are doing now, you are probably losing muscle and not fat, ...you need to work those muscles when you are restricting your food intake.  However, I bet you did a fair bit of walking while you were shopping (probably why you were exhausted when finished).  Even the relative slow pace of walking a dog will burn about 200 calories per 30 minutes.  I would say that is about the same as 30 minutes of shopping, wouldn't you?  Especially in a Mall!  

p.s.  I hope I can shame prod you into exercising (at least a little walking each day) with the rest of us...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 12:29 PM

I want a BIG CHEER HERE!!!  I HAVE LOST A WHOPPING WHOLE ***ONE POUND*** since January 1st...YEAH!!!!!

I have had an upper respiratory thing going on (one excuse), but I have been exercising fairly regularly and using MyFitnessPal(MFP) to monitor my calorie intake, but the scale was just not budging at all.  In one of my "off" days (not feeling well at all), I decided to read some of the blog posts on MFP to see if I could find some hints that would help me get moving on this weight-loss endeavor.  It reminded me, in no uncertain terms, that 1) I was not eating enough of the right kinds of foods and 2) I was not eating enough foods (period) with the calories I was burning.  In other words, my body was in deficit (starvation mode) and was hanging onto the fat...just what I need...LOL!

So, I decided to try it their way for a few days to see what would happen.  Now this may sound wonderful to you if you are trying to lose weight eating 1200 calories or less per day, but believe me it wasn't easy.  I am 5'6" and MFP suggested my daily calorie intake (without exercise) as 1340 calories.  That means you have to come very close to 1340 calories in GOOD foods each day (not candy, pie and cake) to lose one pound per week. (Not up to 1340, but near 1340!)  I found that difficult!  Then when I cross-country ski (usually 90 minutes), I am adding 958 calories to my day...so I need to eat close to 2298 calories in that day...of good nutritious food.  That was VERY DIFFICULT!   I felt literally stuffed, and wondering how this was ever going to work.

With Patti's recent post about the dangers of sugar in the arteries, I modified the basic MFP to monitor my daily sugar intake.  That is really going to take some work on my part.  Even with being on what I had considered a GOOD food diet, I am twice the grams of recommended sugar each day.  So my next goal is to reduce that!

But, after 4 days I have finally shed that first golden pound - that I hadn't lost in the first 15 days of this month!  

All this goes to show that we are all different and we each need to find what works best for us.  If you too exercise regularly and are having trouble losing weight, you might want to try this approach.  It seems to be working for me, and I plan to continue with it and will keep you posted on my progress.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 12:41 PM

Donna, that is 1lb to a better you, you know slow and steady wins the game

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 12:44 PM

I didn't lose any on my 2nd week but didn't gain either.  You know I watch the biggest loser and they always say the 2nd week you wont lose or don't lose very much if you do, so i am not worried still staying on track and making myself eat,

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 12:46 PM

Great job, on your 1.5 lb weight lose marie,

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,251
Points 28,340
Agnes replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 5:52 PM

Weight is jumping up and down within the same few pounds. I am eating less and walking more so it will come. I am aiming to get to the point where I walk the hallways and stairways of all nine floors in the building.three times daily. Covering the building both up and down took 13 minutes this morning. I did half again this afternoon. I am also stepping up my stretching exercises. There is just so much good information being posted to help us all. Thanks for all that.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,127
Points 28,535
Wendy replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 6:32 PM

off to a great start!!!

Today was our first day walking as a group. I walked 40 minutes and went to a yoga class that lasted an hour.

eating plan is going well.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,440
Points 24,005
Debbie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 7:53 PM

well, it was a beautiful afternoon here, 60 degress so DH and I took the dogs and walked twice around the track behind our house.  It's about a 1/2 mile track and we did two laps before the dogs begged to go in.  Fresh air and 25 min walk, Yahoo!!  Had tilapia fish tacos for summer, light and healthy.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 45 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use