Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 12 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 1:01 PM

Wendy,

Thanks for the great tips. 

I think it might take a bit more than 2 weeks to make any new habit stick with me.  I think it might even take up to a year!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,560
Points 23,665
Susie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 1:40 PM

My challenge is in the food prep.  I love cooking, and know how to cook healthy.  I have WW books that have helped tremendously, and I was on eDiets for a long time and have several of their recipes printed and saved.

However, I have found that with my extremely limited income (only unemployment that doesn't cover all my monthly bills), eating healthy is very expensive.  A box of mac & cheese is $.50, add in a can of peas & tuna, and I'm good for less than $1.50.  But I can't eat a healthy meal for that.  I am soooo willing to take any suggestions!

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 80
replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 1:48 PM

i guess this is why I like WW You can eat anything , just stay with in those points. Susie I think everyone should understand the tight bedget. It does cost more to eat healthy.  But I think moderation is the key, at least for me, I dont like being restricted, cause I wont stick to it. I just try to eat more fruits and vegs or drink a v8 at least. I love eggs, and mac and cheese, How your doing that sounds good to me. Portion control and add lots of those frozen vegs and its all good, IMHO.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 1:56 PM

I agree Candis,  to me WW is the more budget friendly, because you can eat what you want just stay in your points

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 690
Hcim55 replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 1:58 PM

Here some cheap ingredients......Brown rice, good carb goes a long ways, onions,black beans, actually any kind of raw beans, cheap protein. Maybe u could find a kind of bean that you could mix in with Mac n cheese? I am learning to put beans in everything!  Lol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,849
Points 366,407
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 2:16 PM

Susie:
However, I have found that with my extremely limited income (only unemployment that doesn't cover all my monthly bills), eating healthy is very expensive.  A box of mac & cheese is $.50, add in a can of peas & tuna, and I'm good for less than $1.50.  But I can't eat a healthy meal for that.  I am soooo willing to take any suggestions!

Try eating the serving size. The box tells you how much. Weigh it out. It's not always what you eat; how much matters too.

Don't drink your calories. Any drink that's 100% juice counts as food. Get rid of the others. Drink more water.

When you feel hungry try drinking a glass of water before eating. Hunger and thirst can feel the same.

Eat about every three to four hours to keep your metabolism going. A granola bar, yogurt, fruit etc this will help keep you from over eating at your main meals.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

The price of healthy food is ridiculous and the reason that a lot of people eat what they can afford.  I will compile some recipes that are cheap, easy and yummy and try to post them often.

For a while I was making a pot of soup on Sunday and having it for lunch everyday. It was cheap and made a lot. I like soup, so this worked for me.  In mine I used.... a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a can of rotel tomatoes (for a little kick), onions, cabbage and fat free chicken broth (you could use whatever you want).  I would have a cup of soup and a turkey wrap everyday. It went a long way and it was cheap. And if i was hungry, I didn't feel too bad having another cup of soup; it was better than  a cheeseburger, or chips or whatever.  For breakfast  I'd have egg whites and wheat toast or oats and wheat toast and oranges or apples with it. For dinner I always had a half plate of veggies (steamed or a salad)  a reasonable piece of meat or fish and cous cous or brown rice.  Luckily my husband doesn't complain and will eat pretty much anything I cook. If he wants a burger, pizza, Chinese, Mexican or something I tell him to eat it for lunch (at work).

During that time I also had one night a week that my friends and I would go out. If I wanted a piece of pizza, I ate it, if I wanted a couple chicken wings, I ate it. If I wanted a pitcher of beer, I drank it. I lost about 4-6 lbs a week this way.  I just moved around (cleaning or exercising) 7 days a week and I all of meals were balanced and healthy (except for one). I guess the rebel in me needed one meal a week to have what I wanted.

We can do this---we just need to stick together, eat smarter, share our triumphs and our failures and keep on, keepin on!! :)  One mistake doesn't have to end all the good we can do! 

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 2:43 PM

Okay everyone here is my awful fat picture .LOL I'm only 5'3" so I need to loose a lot . I have mutiple health issues and have a hard time standing for long periods of time so my activity is very limited. I'm  to ashamed to tell you all my wt. maybe after I've  take off a few pounds I fold .. Barbara ps, the date on my camera is not right ,It seems to have a mind of its own. I have corrected it so many times I give up ....

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 2:52 PM

Barbara, llook at your hair!! It is getting longer. Have you given up the easy peasy shorty  hair of last summer?

Could I ask y'all to pray for my DBIL? He had been diagnosed with spinal stenosis, a week ago. He NEVER Iis sick or goes to a Dr,. till now. He called and said he  is in the hospital having gone in this a.m. hours ago. Jim said he is slurring his words, has pneumonia and is to have a nuerological consult. He has been in the ER waiting for a bed since this a.m.!!

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 3:27 PM

Sukochi ,yes my hair has grown out .and no I'm not going to let it .have just not made it to the hairdresser to get it cut . Its on my list of things to do .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,525
Points 25,495
Debbie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 4:00 PM

I agree, forget the FQs and make the reward being losing weight, feeling better about ourselves and helping each other get in better health. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 4:27 PM

I just tried a new fruit after 6 years in the valley area of California. It is my new favorite, pomegranates     I love these, I put them in Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, on cereal, in fruit salads, for little seed like fruit, they are beautiful, and pop with a crunch of sweet, tart flavor!  Who knew!!  After growing up in the Midwest, I can say the fresh produce is worth living here.  So many fruits and veges I have never heard of.   This will help me stay on track I hope.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 4:28 PM

Kris

Eating 3 meals a day is my biggest downfall.   When I was still working there were lots of times that if I got to eat once a day I was doing good.   Now the habit remains and I generally only eat one meal a day and it is the evening meal.   Yep...pack in all the calories right before bedtime...LOL>  My metabolism is shot.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 4:32 PM

Candis

I too love pomegranites.  They are a little harder to find here and sometimes are pretty expensive but I just love those little seeds.  I also like persimmons but I can never find those anymore.  My aunt used to have a tree in her backyard but it is long gone.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,525
Points 25,495
Debbie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 4:32 PM

Second: Take one thing that is not healthy that you use in your diet on a regular basis and stop eating or drinking it. potato chips, processed white bread, soda pop, sugar, processed meats, fast foods, ready to eat processed meals, ect. ect.

This is a great idea. I cut out cokes almost 6 months ago and every now and then I may have a vanilla coke but mostly stick with 7-up or Sierra Mist.  Maybe less than one a month.  My biggest problem is that white, fluffly stuff- love sweets and choclate!  we eat mostly brown rice, more turkey or chicken than beef and try fish once a week.  The fast foods do me in, so quick and easy after work but have been buying Subway more often because it's the best value for the price.  $2 for a sub, 

Moderation in portions and skip the sweets and get out of my chair and walk more.  that's my plan, will let you know how it is working.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 12 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use