Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 1 of 86 (1286 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti Posted: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:45 PM

This idea came from Star, in the UFO challenge discussion.  I think it's a great idea.  Every time I have lost weight it has been when I have participated with a group.   It's the weekly encouragement, and accountability that helps me.   In this challenge everyone can be a winner.  The prize being weight loss, feeling better, being healthier. 

Tomorrow, I am going to get on the scales at work, (and this scale is calibrated and does not lie.)  Normally I would weigh myself naked.  But I think I better wear some clothes.  The scales being in the lobby and all.  Then I will post weekly what my weight is.  If I get brave enough I will take a 'before' picture, (again with clothing) and maybe more pictures if I have a significant visible loss. 

I hope several of you will join.  I don't want to be posting alone.  I think this would also be a good place to post healthy recipes we find.  Including recipes for special diets, such as gluten free, vegetarian, renal diet (for those with kidney failure) and low carbohydrate, etc. 

My primary motive is avoiding diabetes.  Just losing 15 pounds and exercising 30 minutes 5 days a week can delay or even prevent diabetes.  And I want to live longer and have a healthy heart.  So maybe I will share what kind of exercise I am getting as well. 

So, is anyone going to join me?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 245
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:47 PM

Patti, I will join you, I need to get rid of about 50lbs

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 8:09 PM

Ok girlfriends, here we go. Doesn't 3 make a weightloss program? Now, my only suggestion is SEE YOUR DOCTOR before starting ANY weight loss and/or  exercise program. Not kidding here, this is VERY important. You MUST do this. Please, for me?. Your doctor is the person who should decided if you are physicially able to do this. Your heart, your bones, your muscles.  Hey, it is time for the annual physical, anyway. Add a bone density to that fasting Labwork, EKG, CXR, Pap and Mammo. 

I know, I have already lost some weight, but. I am not done, by a long shot. And, I have my Doctor's approval to go for it.   I am back on steroids for my hives and  "food" is once again a four letter word!  So, I will be the silent third. I promise. No funny business, here.

If you are going to exercise, you probably need to invest in the right athletic shoes. Are yours worn out?? This is important, too.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,607
Points 27,055
Debbie replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 9:52 PM

Count me in - I had lost 3 lbs before Christmas but will power has gone out the window the last few days.  I have seen my doctor and am pre-diabetic so need to lose 25-40 lbs, at least - woukld really like to lose 50-60 but I'll be realistic first.  I can use someone to help me stay accountable.  Also, just started high blood pressure pills so have several reasons to lose and need help to do it. 

I'll weigh myself in the morning and post a picture here over the weekend.  This will help me at work because we are having a challenge and you earn 10 points for each 5 lbs lost and points could earn up to $175.  That's incentive!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 10:14 PM

Patti,  count me in for the same reasons.

My Doctor wants me to lose weight an exercise more since I am borderline when it comes to diabetes and osteoporosis. What surprised me on my last physical was that she did a check on my vitamin D levels and it was very low so she had me taking a prescription of D for 8 weeks and then a vitamin D supplement every day. So those of you who don't have this level checked with your bloodwork might want to have your Doctor add this test. I was shocked at how low mine was.

I will weigh tomorrow morning and "report in". I don't know about the before picture. Is that suppose to keep me honest? lol

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 11:19 PM

Thanks for the good advise Sukochi.  I have already talked to my doctor about this, or rather he has talked to me every time I have seen him for the past several years.  The exercise and diet are his recommendations.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:05 AM

I really need to join this group.  I could afford to lose about 50 to 60 lbs.  I haven't found anything yet that really works.  Maybe I am just one of those people that cant stay committed,

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:15 AM

Patti,

Thank you count me in i normally wait until spring to try to lose some weight i always have problems trying in the winter i think im like Nana with problems staying committed but ive never joined a group before so im hoping this will help.

Patti you didnt have to strip completely naked in the lobby just leave on your bra and knickers :-)

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 429
Points 8,695
Sabrina replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:45 AM

I'm in on this. I was planning to get back to the weight loss plan soon anyway. And I have seen my doctor regularly for the past couple months, so I'm good to go. He knows I'm a runner, so he has to help me keep my asthma in check for that, but lately I haven't done anything besides eat and get fat again. I know my asthma would improve if I lost some weight, and I am also at risk for diabetes, so I would like to avoid it if at all possible. I need to lose at least 50 lbs to get where I want to be health wise. 

Patti, I'll post a before picture and starting weight, too, but I'm at work so will have to do it later when I'm at home.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 4:23 AM

Hi Patty,

Thanks for starting this discussion group. I am sooo ready for this. Three years ago I lost 92 lbs, then suffered the loss of a loved one and dived into depression and weight gain. After the weight loss, I was so sure that exercising daily was a part of my life and I just quit. I got up one day and decided not to workout and never did again. I have been gaining for the past two years. My doctor is so mad at me. I have gained back all but 20 pounds, which just makes me more depressed! I am also going back to scheduling monthly appoints with her so she can kick me in the behind. I work at home, so will have to make myself actually get dressed and workout.

One thing I do know from before, I will only ever be able to eat about 1200 - 1400 calories a day the rest of my life or I will gain. I have a Fitbit that I bought earlier this year. In the online application for the device I can set my weightloss goal and activity level. It sets the amount of calories I can eat and adjust it up with activity. It records number of steps and if you climb stairs, but you have to log other activity and all food and any calorie drinks. I will charge it up and put it back to use.

So, from where I am now, I would like to lose minimum of 80 pounds, and I am ok with it taking a year to lose. Although, I am hoping it will not take that long.

I am still on the overnight shift, so I will weigh when I get up this afternoon. I will try and post a before picture, my daughter took a few when I visited her in London last year, and they are quite hidious, all roly poly me.

Yes, my doctor is on board with weight loss and exercise again for me. I bought new running shoes, I prefer them for walking, and a new set of hiking boots in October. I really want to get back into hiking and bicycle riding.

I was in an online weight loss group before where we posted our weight, short term goals, like lose 10 pounds in January. We reported in weekly with weight loss updates and how many days we exercised 30 minutes or more, with lots of encouraging chatter througout the week. Sadly the group disbanded after about six months. I lost 55 pounds in those six months! I want to make myself do it again.

Once again, thank you Patti for making my random comment come to life.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 6:34 AM

I would love to join in. I lost 45 lbs last year with diet and I started running then I took a break around October. I have been able to keep it off which was a worry to me and part of the reason I took a break. I am ready to get back to it and lose my last 35 lbs.

PS Debbie - I love the Librarian movies!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,834
Points 248,814
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 7:31 AM

I would like to do this as well ,ONly problem is my exercise will be limited as I have very bad knees and  with osteoarthritis and neuropathy inmy feet from Chemo treatments .I can not stand for long periods of time . but I can sure use the diet and my food intake is awful .  Some days I only eat one meal and of course, is always the wrong stuff. LOL   

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 7:31 AM

I will join you.  I need to lose at least 50 pounds but I am no good with sticking to it...and working exercise into my quilting schedule!  But I did buy an elliptical last year and would like to put it to regular use.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 7:53 AM

Frances:

Patti,

Thank you count me in i normally wait until spring to try to lose some weight i always have problems trying in the winter i think im like Nana with problems staying committed but ive never joined a group before so im hoping this will help.

Patti you didnt have to strip completely naked in the lobby just leave on your bra and knickers :-)

lots of love

Francesxx

Ok, Frances will be taking on MY job as heckler in this group. LOL

Sukochi

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 8:00 AM

Count me in, please. I have to lose at least 100 lbs. I have joined weight watchers but, I am having a difficult time staying motivated. Maybe this will help. :D

Page 1 of 86 (1286 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use