Top 10 Posters

sweatshirt patterns/ directions

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 120
susank6 posted on Thu, Dec 27 2012 11:54 AM

Does anyone remember how to decorate/quilt/applique the front of a sweatshirt with fabric then cut the fabric to make front look decorative and fancy?  This was very popular back around the 70-80's before I was into crafts much.  I am looking for how to finish a sweatshirt and the more ideas the merrier.  Thank you dfor all the input.

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,152 Posts
Points 17,665

You can use the same iron-on interfacing that you would use for regular applique. or I've used wonder-under and then used binding stitch on my machine. You can watch video's with Fon & Porter or Eleanor Burns (Quilt in a Day)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,131 Posts
Points 28,615

susank6:
Does anyone remember how to decorate/quilt/applique the front of a sweatshirt

I do not know if this is what you are looking for, but here is a link to a post on my blog that has a sweatshirt jacket pattern in the post.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I don't believe we have met Susan, so I wanted to say Hi and nice to meet you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Thanks for the link Wendy, I have a pattern for this, but your directions look really easy to follow.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 500 Contributor
Female
104 Posts
Points 1,780

I remember doing this years ago.  It seems to me we designed our basic pattern shape - star, heart, etc. and then traced that onto the front of the shirt.  We then took the fabric we wanted to use and placed that inside of the sweatshirt and under the traced pattern.  Sew around the outside edges of the pattern and then sew a grid of squares (about an inch or so) over the entire pattern.  Take you scissors and cut crosses in each square.  When you wash the shirt the knit of the sweatshirt will shrink and curl up leaving the fabric sewn below for window pane type decoration.  I hope that makes sense.  You might find something under reverse applique and sweatshirt.

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 120

thanks so much but that really wasn't what I wanted.  I just want something on the front.  thanks do much for the link tho.

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 120

Hey, nice to meet you also.   I have meet so many nice people thru quilting/crafts and some wonderful ideas.  Take care

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,539 Posts
Points 25,895
Debbie replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 10:10 PM

I remember them - thought we sewed cross lines and then cut in-between the sewn lines.  I couldn't find a good website and don't remember what it was called but I know what you are talking about. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,539 Posts
Points 25,895
Debbie replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 10:12 PM

I think bandMama has the idea - I remember doing a heart on a pink sweatshirt with red flowered material behind. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use