Page 1 of 8 (111 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 110 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,140
Judy Posted: Fri, Dec 21 2012 7:11 PM

It was not planned, but turned out to be a really good thing. I would do it again.

My sewing table is a tempered glass L-shaped desk found at office stores. The glass top makes a small area seem bigger. I have my serger off to the side and when I want to use it I simply roll out the plastic carts that are handy storage bins.

Other side of the desk has my sewing machine with a plastic sewing table around. The desk drawer is attached here and I use the regular desk tray for my sewing tools. The drawer slides out when I need it.

My printer in below the table, and I can put a flashlight there too for a larger light-table.

There is enough space for me to have a cutting mat, or an iron with a pressing mat.

When I want to quilt a large quilt I have plenty of room to my left for the quilt.

The desk is metal and I have extra tools stuck to it with magnets.

Other great points is that you can put it together any way you want depending on your room layout and whether you are right or left handed.

These desks are not expensive and go on sale a lot.

I have been known to draw on the glass with a sharpie and it comes off with alcohol.

I also use my laptop on the side table whenever I want.

So…my home office converted to a sewing room is pretty cool.

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

• | Post Points: 155
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Fri, Dec 21 2012 11:47 PM

very nice judy.  you've got a great set-up

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 12:28 AM

Hummm I have the same desks in my office,  does your sewing machine vibrate at all on it?  I have tried so many desks, and when I sew the machine will vibrate bad. I finally went with a solid wood big desk.   But I like your idea.  So just wondering?? Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:24 AM

Judy , very nice sewing area,

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:28 AM

Nice, and probably really keeps it light in the room. I use a door on a base that Jim built. Worlrs great, lots of space. Or, it did have.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,267
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:46 AM

Judy:
So…my home office converted to a sewing room is pretty cool.

Very cool indeed.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 490

Cool! and you have a built in light table if you want to trace. Excellent idea.

Katy

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 11:25 AM

Hummm I have the same desks in my office,  does your sewing machine vibrate at all on it?  I have tried so many desks, and when I sew the machine will vibrate bad. I finally went with a solid wood big desk.   But I like your idea.  So just wondering?? Thanks

[/quote]

It only vibrates on the very fastest speed. No problem at all with the serger. I don't like to sew on the fastest speed anyway. The fact that you screw it together must be what makes it keep it's shape. I don't remember ever having to tighten the screws, or that being a problem. I have been using this for about three years.[quote user="Candis"]

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 11:27 AM

I like that it keeps it light. It also shows all of the dust...That really is a good thing cause it's easy to clean and I don't have to worry about fabric picking up something.

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 1:22 PM

Judy:

I like that it keeps it light. It also shows all of the dust...That really is a good thing cause it's easy to clean and I don't have to worry about fabric picking up something.

Ok Judy I did it, I switched out the dek like yours put it in my studio.  So far I love it! I am still organizing but I think it's going to be great. I didn't notice a lot of vibration.   Thank you so much for posting this great idea.  No more huge bulky desk for me!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,815
Points 105,930
Linny t replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 8:17 AM

That is the coolest thing I've seen in awhile, Judy.  Thanks for sharing.  I like the way it doesn't visually take up space and the light table use is such a bonus.

Linny T

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 11:39 AM

I love the idea of having a lighted area I'm forever looking for the best light  the glass reflects what light you have. yep love the idea.
For another great sewing desk or table is a library table I bought mine in  2003 at a resale shop for about $75. good size for my machine, and perfect height. lots of storage area and leg room e gads ya think I have enough thread bins?? there are 4 you can't see on the side shelf, plus regular sewing thread on the wall pegs. lol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 12:00 PM

Since we are all showing off our sewing areas thought I'd share mine .now you all have to remember I live in a very old home and I have two tiny closets upstairs .so I have no storage,No basement and no Garage.so as some can tell you mine stuff is all over the house ..LOL  I bought the student table as a thrift store for 20.00 and the sewing cabinet  also for 50. I put them together and the make a great sewing area and I have lots of room to do quilts  .I try to clean my area once a week ,as I've been busy this week things are a little messy.LOL   The last picture is some of my stash in totes ,I have more in another room . don't cha  just love my mess :LOL   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 12:11 PM

Barbara, I love seeing your mess, it makes mine look better then I thought! 8 }

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 12:25 PM

My problem. Fan light is above cutting talbe so reflects the light on the ruler. Any suggestions?

The very bright light on the ruler is the camera flash (left it on) but the larger halo around it is  where the lights on the fan shine down. Makes seeing the measurement lines on the ruler very hard to see. Thing is that light reflects back into my eyes. Know what I mean?

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 8 (111 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use