Top 10 Posters

Stipple or diagonal? for photo memory quilt?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:54 AM

I am making a photo memory quilt for someone and am now ready to quilt it.  I haven't made one of these before and am reluctant to stitch on faces.  I have looked through posts galore and still can't make up my mind.  Please, if have have made a memory quilt out of photo paper, can you share you quilting techniques with me??

Photos vary in size, the smallest is 5X7, largest, 8 X10

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:09 AM

What I have done with photos is to simply frame the photo, and leave most of the other quilting to the other areas.  However, none of mine were bigger than 5x7.  One thought might be to add a little something in the larger photos to reduce the space between quilting.  Such as a small heart in a wedding photo.  Just enough to tack it, or hold the layers together. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Annie I would SID around the photos , this will help make them pop out alittle,then just quilt the rest of the quilt

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Answered (Not Verified) Annie replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:47 AM
Suggested by Barbara

I read somewhere on line that the photos may sag if not quilted.  and since they are on the bigger side, I fear that may happen.  I think i may have to print a practice photo and quilt on it to see if it looks goofy.

quite a few have said (on-line) that large stippling doesn't look bad, but I've not done it so I'm afraid to take the plunge.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Annie In that case just put a big x across the picture .or on each side do a half moon  this will not take away form the picture and if you use invisible thread they will not see it .Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998

You are going to see the stitching less than you imagine.  I would do normal quilting on the photos just as you do the rest of your quilt.  If you are using a finer, non-glossy thread (Such as SoFine! by Superior Threads) the stitching will blend into the quilt and all you will focus on is the picture. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:31 PM

Jeanine:

You are going to see the stitching less than you imagine.  I would do normal quilting on the photos just as you do the rest of your quilt.  If you are using a finer, non-glossy thread (Such as SoFine! by Superior Threads) the stitching will blend into the quilt and all you will focus on is the picture. 

Jeanine,

I saw an older posting where you commented that very point.  I am just a little chicken, Do you think diagonals would show more than stippling?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 3:08 PM

Barbara, 

Hadn't thought of that, I think that might work.

Thanks, all

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use