Top 10 Posters

So I found a treadle well two of them have to look at them and make sure they work etc.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey posted on Wed, Dec 12 2012 10:54 PM

So I found a treadle well two of them have to look at them and make sure they work etc. Barring that they suck and they work as they used to or close to... Does anyone remember how you use them versus the modern day sewing machine?

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 5:46 AM

Carey

How exciting, I grew up and learned to sew using a treadle machine. They are fabulous, you only go as fast as your foot can move the treadle.  I've been looking for one for years, but they are rare and even rarer in good condition.  The only one I've seen to date t hat I would buy is $1800, and I definitely can't afford it at this time.

Good luck, be sure to keep us posted and take pictures.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:15 PM

Joni

Wow...$1800...  I have 3 treadle all in good to great condition and I only have $140 in all three together.   You must live in the wrong place.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 7:20 AM

OKAY Nana, next time you find one(in those prices) or decide to sell one, let me know I would love to have one.  What I've seen on the internet is awful, rusted, no accessories, just totally unacceptable at any price.

Oh the one I found at the exhorbitant price is very awesome, it is in perfect original condition, beautifully carved  and with all the bells and whistles.  It looks like a work of art not a working machine.  Think I shall talk to owners and see if I can make pymts over the coming year and perhaps it would be mine.  I know the price is highway robbery, but what I've seen available at even half the price, would take double that to restore and get in working order.  You are definitely right, I must live in the wrong area, can't afford to move.

Can I come visit you and go looking for a treasure treadle machine.  Come spring I'll be ready to do a little traveling, and perhaps visit a fellow quilter????

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

I found a pretty good one on Craigs list for my area,for 60.00. You only need to look around they are all over . barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 9:12 AM

I've checked there and found 2 too far away and they won't ship!  With price of gas it would cost $600-800 just to pick/up...not a win win deal!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Joni,don't blame you there,I guess I was lucky as mine buyer lived close. Just keep looking one will pop up somewhere. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
2,664 Posts
Points 37,515
ls2116 replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 12:07 PM

I'll say its a heel toe movement.  Also check thrift shops antique stores and consignment shops.  I have one domestic brand in singer stand and the motor for it broke this year and I still haven't repaired it.  Good luck finding a good one.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 1:15 AM

The one treadle owner that got back to me said it needs a new belt and should be easy to put on. He doesn't know of anyone who can do the repair for me though. I hope if I do pick it up if my hours go up more in the next week again that I can mechanically do it myself. Or if one of you ladies know how to would be so inclined to write directions on how to replace the belt. He said that was the only thing besides needing to be oiled.

The other one I don't think replied to my email since I can't seem to find it. Funny how some don't take the ad off and then you email them and you don't hear back from them.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 4:17 AM

Carey

you can google online for belts and for installing directions.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 5:25 PM

ok thanks for the information. Just thought it would be better if there were any questions along the way to do it the other way though. But guess there are no takers lol.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use