Quilting Wool Fabric

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
894 Posts
Points 16,935
Carol from Pittsburgh posted on Mon, Dec 10 2012 6:16 PM

I just got an email that my order of Scottish tartan has been shipped. I'm really excited to receive it! My future SIL is very much into his Scottish heritage so I'm going to make him a quilt using the tartan of his ancestors' clan. I've also ordered a couple yards of the tartan from my ancestors' clan to combine SIL's with daughter's in the quilt. Anyway... I've never quilted wool. Does anyone have an advice? Is there anything special I should know? I use a Gammill with Statler Stitcher.

Thanks!

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
894 Posts
Points 16,935

Kinsey, Please be sure to post a photo of your clan quilt when it's done. I'd love to see it.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
26 Posts
Points 565
Kinsey replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 12:52 PM

Definitely. :D I've been really excited about it. My clan has been traced way way back. I'm just having issues getting the pattern as I want it. I keep changing my mind. I had thought about placing the clan name down one side...but I'm not sure I'd like the end result. So, it's still very much a work in progress. I'm looking forward to seeing yours as well :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Carol from Pittsburgh:

Here's one of the tartans. It's Gunn Ancient.

Carol, it is very pretty. I cannot wait to see your finished product. Thanks for sharing.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

gini:
once it is felted it has shrunk all it is going to shrink.

gini, I thought when wool was felted it made it stiff, so I guess I'm am confused - not a new state for me lol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 9:47 PM

spud, felting kinks up the threads and makes it thicker, so yes it is stiffer than what you started with.  if you felt a very thick wool to begin with, then it will be stiffer, but this is a relative term.  the fibers are still the same thickness and because of the way they shrink up, there is a lot of "air space" between the threads.  the  wools we work with as quilters are mostly clothing weight or a little thicker.   the boiled wool you are thinking about is made from a much heavier wool.  i have a boiled wool sweater and the cloth is aver a 1/4 inch thick.  it kinda like wearing a really thick densely knitted sweater.  i use it for a winter coat a lot of the season.  the wool pants that hunters wear are even thicker.  the thicker the wool,  the stiffer it gets after felting, but this stiffness is from the cloth being thicker, it still feels like wool.  a felted lambswool will be very soft, but could be "stiff" if it is knitted or woven heavily before felting.      am i being clear enough?  stiffness and the hand feel are two different things.  you can felt a scratchy wool and it will be just as scratchy after felting as it was before, but it's stiffness depends on how thick it was to begin with. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 9:51 PM

some of the clothing weight felted wool is still very pliable, it is obviously thicker than cotton, but is "limp" and has great drape.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Thanks gini, cleared that up as much as can be when dealing with me LOL

Top 100 Contributor
Female
894 Posts
Points 16,935

Gini,

Thank you lots for all your information-- I've learned so much from you about wool!

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use