How do you make your quilt labels?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
642 Posts
Points 16,275
Zsofia posted on Sun, Dec 9 2012 8:12 AM

Well I must confess I never made any labels for my quilts but always wondered how is it done. Is there a "proper" way to do it? or  Can I just use a permanent fabric marker to sign the quilt? I need all the ideas out there :).

Zsofia

• | Post Points: 125

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,427 Posts
Points 243,407
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 8:44 AM
Verified by Zsofia

Zsofia - On the quilts that I have put labels on - I have gotten creative...teehee... I have designed them to look like the quilt and embroidered them with my machine... other quilts I have written in thread on the front in that border that is usually an inch wide - I write going around the quilt and unless you know what you are looking for you don't see it - but the quilt is permanently signed.  On my Grand daughter's alphabet quilt I again designed embroidery and did it on the front of the quilt in two blocks at the top of the quilt fitting in with the design of the quilt.  When I entered quilts in shows, I made simple labels for the back that just said the designer of the pattern if not an original by me, the fact that I had pieced it and if I didn't quilt it the name of the person who quilted it and the year.  Some of my friends put small envelopes on the back that you can't really see as they blend in with the quilt but they put pieces of the quilt fabric in there and the directions for washing and taking care of the quilt - the fabric is so that it gets used as the quilt does and if you ever need to make a repair it is right there and ready to be used.  

Use your imagination and make up something unique to you.  It is fun to do this - I don't always sign my quilts but I have a record that will be left that shows a picture and when I made the quilt so my GGGGGgrand children won't wonder like I do who made it and why.

• | Post Points: 25
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,662 Posts
Points 120,300

Zsofia:
s there a "proper" way to do it?

Zsofia. There is no "Proper" way but it's a good idea to label your creations. I do it a number of ways. Sometimes I simply use a indelible fabric marker to write the information on a plain piece of fabric and then incorporate that into a small block which I hand stitch onto the back. Sometimes I use my sewing machine to stitch on the words.

Here are a couple examples:

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 55

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I put a lot of work into the label I made for my first grandchild's quilt, but I could not do that again, as I was not doing very well in treatment so had to come up with a simple way to do it. I write on the label with a pigma pen and then framed it with fabric from the quilt to make it kind of like a block, they are not the fanciest but they were easier for me.   I crossed out most of his name as I did not know if his mom would want it on the internet.

Someone told me they loved the labels that are actually written, they are not as fancy but I hope my grandkids will appreciate them. Writing and hand sewing are still very difficult for me but thought it was more important that I did it than it look perfect.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,662 Posts
Points 120,300

Spud, I like the handwritten labels. I've done them both ways (depending on my mood, time and the person it's going to)

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,056 Posts
Points 29,015

Zsofia,

I used to use the permanent fabric pen to write my labels on muslin or a piece of fabric from the quilt.  I now have an embroidery machine and I make my label that way. I also use left over binding fabric to border my label on the top and right side. The left side and the bottom I sew on the quilt when I attach the binding.  I then hand stitch the top and right side down when I'm doing the hand stitching for the binding.  The label is usually placed, if you are looking at the back of the quilt, in the bottom left corner. However, having said that, it's your quilt and you can place it where ever you would like and make it however you'd like. I usually put on it who it's to, the occasion if there is one, the date and my name and the name of the pattern, if there is one.  A lot of people also put the city or state. I will also embroider something on the label that relates to quilt.

There are some very nice generic, pre-printed fabric labels that have an open space that you can use your permanent pen to write the information in. I used those once or twice before I purchased my embroidery machine. 

Be creative!  By the time I get to the label I'm just ready to get the quilt finished. LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Ramona:
By the time I get to the label I'm just ready to get the quilt finished. LOL

Me too. :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
32 Posts
Points 1,455
pat replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 5:39 AM

i am new to sewing and quilting so just getting that down alone has been difficult there are some beautiful labels here as soon as i get this all figured all will start working on labels myself,some great ideas here ladies,sorry i've been gone so long and missed so much

Top 500 Contributor
Female
151 Posts
Points 3,470
Star replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 11:07 PM

Ladies, there are some great label ideas here. I always like to label my quilts, I have a few hand me downs from the family that I have no idea who made them or when. LOL, the same with photos - who are those people?

I used to embroider or crosstitch the info onto muslin, turn down the edges and applique to the back. Then I graduated to same muslin, but permant fabric pens for the info. Now I have discovered the fabric sheets for ink jet printers. I bought a 10 pack at Joann Fabrics, the June Tailor ones. I just type up the info in a word document, pick the font and print, always in black. I put the following info on the label: who the quilt was made for, if I know, pieced by - my name, location, and year it was made or finished if a UFO, quilted by, the pattern name and designer if there is one, and washing instructions. I then print it out, I try to keep it small, put borders on it and applique to back corner.

The label can be treated for colorfastness and I can usually get three labels from each sheet.

I like to keep it easy so I make sure to get a label on every piece. And, by the time I am at the label stage, I, too, just want the quilt done!!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use