How do you make your quilt labels?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
649 Posts
Points 16,405
Zsofia posted on Sun, Dec 9 2012 8:12 AM

Well I must confess I never made any labels for my quilts but always wondered how is it done. Is there a "proper" way to do it? or  Can I just use a permanent fabric marker to sign the quilt? I need all the ideas out there :).

Zsofia

• | Post Points: 125

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,673 Posts
Points 248,567
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 8:44 AM
Verified by Zsofia

Zsofia - On the quilts that I have put labels on - I have gotten creative...teehee... I have designed them to look like the quilt and embroidered them with my machine... other quilts I have written in thread on the front in that border that is usually an inch wide - I write going around the quilt and unless you know what you are looking for you don't see it - but the quilt is permanently signed.  On my Grand daughter's alphabet quilt I again designed embroidery and did it on the front of the quilt in two blocks at the top of the quilt fitting in with the design of the quilt.  When I entered quilts in shows, I made simple labels for the back that just said the designer of the pattern if not an original by me, the fact that I had pieced it and if I didn't quilt it the name of the person who quilted it and the year.  Some of my friends put small envelopes on the back that you can't really see as they blend in with the quilt but they put pieces of the quilt fabric in there and the directions for washing and taking care of the quilt - the fabric is so that it gets used as the quilt does and if you ever need to make a repair it is right there and ready to be used.  

Use your imagination and make up something unique to you.  It is fun to do this - I don't always sign my quilts but I have a record that will be left that shows a picture and when I made the quilt so my GGGGGgrand children won't wonder like I do who made it and why.

• | Post Points: 25
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,912 Posts
Points 124,870
Verified by Zsofia

Zsofia:
s there a "proper" way to do it?

Zsofia. There is no "Proper" way but it's a good idea to label your creations. I do it a number of ways. Sometimes I simply use a indelible fabric marker to write the information on a plain piece of fabric and then incorporate that into a small block which I hand stitch onto the back. Sometimes I use my sewing machine to stitch on the words.

Here are a couple examples:

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 55

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,807 Posts
Points 248,334

You can do this several way. you can use leftover fabric and put some stabilizer on the back  and write on this and then hand stitch it down .Most shops have labels premade you can buy by the yard  and use these ,I do them the same way . some just use white fabric  and do the same . any thing will work  Use your imagination to decorate .  I'm sure there will be some other answers to your question.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
735 Posts
Points 18,400

I haven't done any yet, but I have designed them on MS Publisher -- 8 to a page.  I purchased butcher paper to iron white cotton to it so I can run it through the ink jet printer.  I tried a sample a couple of week ago and to my dismay learned that only the black ink is permanent -- the colours washed out.  So I'm re-designing the labels for black only.   I plan on using Wonder Under to affix them to the quilt and then hand stitch around.  When I get to the point that the backings don't shift as I quilt the sandwich, I'll put them on before I assemble.  That will be much quicker. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,807 Posts
Points 248,334

Oh and yes I use a permanent marker to sign my quilt to

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
649 Posts
Points 16,405

Thanks Barbara and Brigit-Carol for your answers. I guess there is nothing to "fear" with the labels. I will look for them at my LQS to get some ideas.

Zsofia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,673 Posts
Points 248,567
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 8:44 AM
Verified by Zsofia

Zsofia - On the quilts that I have put labels on - I have gotten creative...teehee... I have designed them to look like the quilt and embroidered them with my machine... other quilts I have written in thread on the front in that border that is usually an inch wide - I write going around the quilt and unless you know what you are looking for you don't see it - but the quilt is permanently signed.  On my Grand daughter's alphabet quilt I again designed embroidery and did it on the front of the quilt in two blocks at the top of the quilt fitting in with the design of the quilt.  When I entered quilts in shows, I made simple labels for the back that just said the designer of the pattern if not an original by me, the fact that I had pieced it and if I didn't quilt it the name of the person who quilted it and the year.  Some of my friends put small envelopes on the back that you can't really see as they blend in with the quilt but they put pieces of the quilt fabric in there and the directions for washing and taking care of the quilt - the fabric is so that it gets used as the quilt does and if you ever need to make a repair it is right there and ready to be used.  

Use your imagination and make up something unique to you.  It is fun to do this - I don't always sign my quilts but I have a record that will be left that shows a picture and when I made the quilt so my GGGGGgrand children won't wonder like I do who made it and why.

• | Post Points: 25
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 8:56 AM

I make my quilt labels with some white fabric or cream or muslim and then either fmq lettering which is a pain btw. Or a permanent marker or fabric marker and write down what I want to say on the label and then attach it to the back of the quilt with handstitching mostly or fusible depending on my mood.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,912 Posts
Points 124,870
Verified by Zsofia

Zsofia:
s there a "proper" way to do it?

Zsofia. There is no "Proper" way but it's a good idea to label your creations. I do it a number of ways. Sometimes I simply use a indelible fabric marker to write the information on a plain piece of fabric and then incorporate that into a small block which I hand stitch onto the back. Sometimes I use my sewing machine to stitch on the words.

Here are a couple examples:

• | Post Points: 55
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,807 Posts
Points 248,334

Judy ,I love your labels ,  Now I will have to improve mine. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,912 Posts
Points 124,870

This issue of labels has me thinking. As I'm going through my quilt photos I realize I didn't very often take a photo of the back or the label. I'm going to be sure to do that from now on. In fact, I going to try to get photos of those I've already given away to family and friends. The labels can be lots of fun to make and a chance to get a little creative.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
649 Posts
Points 16,405
Zsofia replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:12 AM

Judy - your labels look awesome. I will make sure I label my creations now on.Thanks for all the great input!!!

Zsofia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Use Google Images to search for "quilt labels" and you'll get lots of pictures for ideas!  Here are a few...

Quilt labels

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 1:58 PM

Since I now have Ms Elle I embroider my labels.  Here are a couple I did for my beloved Great Nieces.

Inside each label are fabrics fromquilt in case of need for future repairs.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,912 Posts
Points 124,870

Joni, your label pockets are precious. What a great idea.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,426 Posts
Points 38,285
Linda replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 4:44 PM

I have Print Shop Program and I create my labels using it. I can be very creative with my program. I make my own printer fabric too.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use