Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,195
MzA Posted: Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:27 PM

Has anyone every cut fabric for a quilt and can't remember what pattern or where it is.  I can't tell you all how many times and how long I've looked for this pattern.  UUUGH

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:59 PM

MzA

Oh my yes....been there done that.   I did finally remember what I had cut out for on most of them but there was one that I just winged it and made something different with the pieces I had cut....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,869
gini replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 4:21 AM

Yep, been there, done that.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 5:58 AM

Hasn't everyone??   lol   I now copy pattern and put it with the fabric.  If it's still whole pieces, I tie it with a selvedge from another fabric in a bundle with the pattern copy.  If it's been cut, I put the pieces into small baggies with sizes and which part of pattern...i.e.  4 " squares for center blocks.  Helps me from having that problem again.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942

LOL several times

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,862
Thea replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 6:44 AM

Okay - how do you lose the pattern?  Don't you keep it with what you are cutting?  I guess it could happen but am wondering how.  And Nana - you have done this several times?  hmmmmm...

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,093
Points 14,135
Dawn replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 7:06 AM

Since I only let myself work on one quilt at a time, no, this hasn't happened.  But I have bought fabric for a quilt and then forgotten which quilt went w/that fabric.  :-)  No one is perfect!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,195
MzA replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 7:35 AM

I've only done it once but I guess I can't get over it because it was beautful batiks that were hacked up.  LOL  I guess I could remember what pattern it was for or maybe I didn't think I'd accumulate as many things since then.  HA!! imagine that.  I also thought I'd have time before I forgot.  Either way it was a valuable lesson as I will definitely put the pattern or write down the pattern with the fabric.. Who knows I may actually come across it one day. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

That has not happened to me with a quilt yet, but it happened when I sewed clothes. I could usually figure out how to put it together, but was not sure who it was for or what size... :)  I do know how you feel about the fabric though, it is so expensive and I, for one, really hate to waste fabric.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 7:44 AM

MZA I tape mine to the wall where my cutting talbe is when I am not using it , that way I don't lose it. ,I just use a small peice of tape. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

MZA I have never lost the pattern to cut fabrics, because I only cut one quilt at a time, BUT.. I have fabric for a quilt that I bought as a kit and have NO idea what that pattern is called, I must have looked through it and did my eval on the instructions and then for whatever reason the pattern never got back to the envelope the kit came it. This happened about 6 years ago, My sewing room has been through a number of changes, many searches & to this day I have a big note on my wall that says look for pattern for the Floral Fresco kit. I do the 'post pattern' over my cutting surface. I read each pattern instructions and eval each step, as I have had several instructions not meet the fabric requirements, IE cut 6 4.5 x 32 across WOF  then sub cut into 4.5x8.5 rectangles, and the fabric requirement is 1/2 yard. So hopefully our right mind catches that faux pas. When my instructions are read and I've put all my notes I hang it on two binder clips that are on the wall with push pins. All cut fabric is labeled and bagged, placed into a separate bin with the pattern until I get back to the stitching. I own 4 such bins for tops ready to be quilted.
Hopefully all of us helped you a little bit.
May the ghost of pattern thieves leave you all of us alone.. LOL

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use