Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,107
Points 110,270
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Sun, Dec 2 2012 1:25 PM

I went to a yearly luncheon with other women from my high school graduating class of 1960.  

Every year more of us are missing or are suffering through medical problems. I looked at my dearest friends sitting next to me and it hit me that any one of us could be next. Although I have lots of UFO's I don't have on hand, small and cheerful (and completed) lap quilts that I can run over to someone who may need an quilty hug right now. I've made quilts for friends in need but it took me a couple weeks and I want a completed stash. 

So, that's my resolution for the new year. To focus on getting a stash of completely finished lap quilts that I can choose from as the need arises. My first quilt for my "Hug Needed Quilt Stash" will be MQ7. I'm adding a couple large appliqued flowers to the front. The colors are cheerful and I think might be one someone would like.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Judy T-Bellingham:
So, that's my resolution for the new year. To focus on getting a stash of completely finished lap quilts that I can choose from as the need arises. My first quilt for my "Hug Needed Quilt Stash" will be MQ7.

Judy, that is a wonderful idea, there is nothing better than a quilty hug when times are a bit rough.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070

Judy, what a wonderful idea!!

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 1:47 PM

Judy ,this is a fabulous idea. I have many quilts that also just kinda sit around and do nothing. I may do the same .thanks Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 1:49 PM

Judy, that is a great idea for a New Years Resolution! Kudos to you.....

from TN

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

That's a great idea.  Now I just need to actually finish a quilt that's worthy of giving away

Kristin Lee WICKMAN Albrecht  

(I'm a WICKMAN . . . Don't let anybody tell you any different)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 1:59 PM

Judy, I might join you in this idea. How wonderful. I have, plenty of times, come up on a friend who needs a quilty hug of their own. I think I WILL "borrow" you idea. make up some lab quilts, put them in gift bags and just grab one when I need it. Easy peasy. Thanks for a great idea and a LOT of smiles and happy tears!  (((HUGS))) to you, too.

Sukochi

replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 2:32 PM

Great Idea Judy, I like it think I will try that idea for a few UFOs I have..  Thanks

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 3:05 PM

Great idea!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 3:11 PM

Wonderful idea Judy, I wish I would have had a few ready to grab this last year.  I'm with you, I see more dear friends facing medical problems and tragedies as we are getting older.  Thanks for the great idea and great New Years Resolution!  Now, I just need to get through the Christmas sewing first...

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,862
Thea replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 3:25 PM

Judy, Great idea - sad to think that as we age more and more of our friends are in need of something like this.

replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 4:18 PM

I have a question, what would be your ideal size for the One size fits all Hug Lap Quilt.  Just curious what people think. I always tend to go big, I guess in case they are a bigger and taller person, say 68 by 68 or so.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,107
Points 110,270

Candis:

I have a question, what would be your ideal size for the One size fits all Hug Lap Quilt.  Just curious what people think. I always tend to go big, I guess in case they are a bigger and taller person, say 68 by 68 or so.

My lap quilts tend to be smaller, unless I'm making one specifically for a big person like my 6'5' son in law.  Otherwise they seem to come out about  48 x 60.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

I like the longer ones also, my family are all tall and it is nice to be able to cover up your feet and clear up to your neck. The smaller ones are nice if the recipient is in a wheel chair. So I guess it kind of depends on who you are making it for.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:09 PM

To me, a lap quilt is usually not square, but a long rectangle, enough to cover a lap, minimum 48", and long enough to tuck under the feet and pull up to the chin if reclining, so minimum 60" for a short to average height person.   I was happy that I had a quilt on hand this summer when a neighbor was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer.  Both he and she were very appreciative - hugs and tears were shared the day I presented it to him.  He uses it daily during the daylight hours sitting/napping in his recliner.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use