Top 10 Posters

needle splitting thread on longarm

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 75
stitcherkjb posted on Fri, Nov 23 2012 1:45 PM

Hi, I am using Fil-tec glide thread which I find usually very enjoyable with which to work. This spool has been awful. I have changed needles, tension is very good. As I stitch, the thread seems to be splitting.   I called the company. I had a similar problem with another spool and was told they had had a bad batch.  Anyone else had a problem?

stitcherkjb in mass.

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,057 Posts
Points 170,727

I, too, use Fil-tec Glide, and I have had that issue, but now, each time I start sewing a new row, I hand pull some thread through the guides before reaching the needle, then I gently pull that slack through the needle, and then I can sew without issue.  Did that make sense?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998

Have you tried to change the needle?  I have not had this issue and always use glide.  I did have one spool that was wound backwards and I just turned the spool upside down.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,344 Posts
Points 126,144

Hi stitcherkjb, I have not used that thread and have never had that problem, so I cannot help you there. But, I wanted to say Hi and it is nice to meet you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 75

Well, I have finished the quilt. The thread continued to be a nuisance. I loosened the tension of the quilt layers between the rollers, that seemed to help a little. I was told that the thread is "light weight" and that any needle flex would cause the problem. I also loosened the top tension, just a little. The tension had appeared to be fine, and loosening the upper tension did not change this.

I am going to chalk it up to the this particular spool of thread.

Started and finished another baby quilt (40 x 60) using a different spool of Fil Tec thread and it ran like a dream.

Thanks for the support.

Gratefully yours,
Kate

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,344 Posts
Points 126,144

I'm glad you got it done Kate. I think being frustrated once in awhile comes with the territory as quilters... :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,344 Posts
Points 126,144

BTW Kate, we want pictures. I for one love to see what everyone is up to.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use