rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances Posted: Wed, Nov 21 2012 1:30 PM

Ok nosy me again,

Do any of you use hand quilting frames and if you do which ones and are they any good and was it difficult to get used to quilting on a frame, any tips hints help would be greatly appreciated.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Frances, they are all different. I have a Proflex and I like it and it has worked well for me, I can also make it longer I now have it at 10' and can go to 12' but don't  currently have room for that. - I changed machines on mine and when I bought it I had that in mind. If you are getting a long arm I would look seriously at the frame they use with theirs. Good luck with your search.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 1:48 PM

Thank you Spud,

I was thinking of a hand quilting frame long arm machines over here are few and far between i can pay to have it long arm quilted but that works out at about upwards of $400 and i cant afford that everytime.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Frances, the only one I can think of right now that has a hand frame is Kris and I'm not 100% sure about that, but I'm sure someone does. Good luck with your search.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,127
Points 28,535
Wendy replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 2:39 PM

Frances, I have two hand frames.  One is a 20" hoop and the other is a 14" hoop.  I like the 20 " hoop frame the best.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,127
Points 28,535
Wendy replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 2:44 PM

I also have a pvc stand frame that I got a JoAnns last Christmas.  Up until this summer I hand quilted most everything.

here is a pic of the stand frame with a quilt on it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,679
Points 120,550

Wendy :

I also have a pvc stand frame that I got a JoAnns last Christmas.  Up until this summer I hand quilted most everything.

here is a pic of the stand frame with a quilt on it.

I had this frame, also got it at Joann's a few years ago. I used it to layer and pin my quilts. I didn't do hand quilting. I finally gave it to Goodwill when it warped.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,837
Points 366,197
Kris replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 12:06 AM

Frances,

I have a grace company EZ3 frame. I really like it. It's in pieces right now but it is easy to put together and can be folded flat with the quilt still on it. I like that the quilt does not have to be basted and that the height and tilt are adjustable. The frame can be set up in different sizes depending on the size of your quilt. I would keep mine set up but I don't have a lot of space. When lived in Virginia I used to hang it on the wall on two hooks. 

If you're short you may have problems reaching very far so you might have to roll (advance) the quilt more often.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 9:34 AM

Kris:

Frances,

I have a grace company EZ3 frame. I really like it. It's in pieces right now but it is easy to put together and can be folded flat with the quilt still on it. I like that the quilt does not have to be basted and that the height and tilt are adjustable. The frame can be set up in different sizes depending on the size of your quilt. I would keep mine set up but I don't have a lot of space. When lived in Virginia I used to hang it on the wall on two hooks. 

If you're short you may have problems reaching very far so you might have to roll (advance) the quilt more often.

Kris,

You are a star i think you have just solved my problems, ive looked at one of these but wanted someone elses opionion to easy to part with a lot of money and then find out somethings not as good as you thought it would be, i thought this might be quite good since i have no space to stretch my quilts out and baste them.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,837
Points 366,197
Kris replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 10:03 AM

Glad I could help Frances.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use