Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,374
Points 48,750
Ginny replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 1:11 PM

Oh,Barbara, I bet your Angel just does love that combo.  I used to do the same for my 2 dogs when I had them.   Now someone always comes along and nibbles on one or another of the giblets.  Sometimes the leftover juice is used to stretch the gravy or some such.   Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 108,630
chocake2 replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 3:27 PM

We do the traditional thanksgiving meal at our house every year. When I was growing up whe had the manditory family dinner at my aunts house. We were the poor relitives that got invited because it was required. I hated those long awkward afternoons of trying to make polite smalltalk with people who had no desire to know me...so at MY house, I only invite people who are genuinely welcome. Thanksgiving is our chance to celebrate true family and friends. I've hosted meals with bigwigs and streetpeople seated at the same table and everyone had a grand time.

One tradition we have started when DS1 was little. For some reason he got obcessed with how we all had to SAY what we were most thankful for, as well as having the usually little kid hang-up with drawing pilgrems and turkeys all over everything in November. So, To satisfy him, I made a construction paper turkey with no tail. Just before the meal I had him pass around paper "feathers" and pencils for everyone to write down their special "Thankful fors" on. Then we pasted the turkey's tail on him and hung him for display. We've been doing the same thing every year since. The kids insist on it!!

I usually try to hang onto one year's turkey to read at the fallowing year's meal and so new-comers to our table can see what they are in for. One year my daughter blurred her words together and wrote "Cranberrys" And "Smashed potaTOes"  too close together on her feather. For years afterword, one of my dear friends always wrote that he was most thankful for  "Not having to eat cranberry smashed toes."  It always got a giggle.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 11:31 PM

Cho this is the cutest memory.. For years afterword, one of my dear friends always wrote that he was most thankful for "Not having to eat cranberry smashed toes." It always got a giggle.
Well ladies and gents, moms and grand, i too am a born in the south cook, however my Mimi and Mother from MI always insisted I prepare both white bread dressing and put it to the bird.. (inside)  along with my own fresh homemade cornbread dressing. So for 35 years a bird got dressed and a turkey got stuffed.. lol then there were at least two more casseroles filled with both styles for the table, we fought to be first to the interior stuffing, so much flavor. Yummy I am getting hungry and have a week to go before we eat. I don't cook anymore we as a family have spread out all over Texas, and don't make Thanksgiving Dinner together there are 7 full grown families with 7 into the next generation and 6 of those into the third, And 2 into the fourth, too many for one to host. We will fill our tummy with my DIL's family. Honey there is no place better to be than at a Southern Family Feast.. just my opinion..

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:05 AM

The first Thanksgiving I cooked, as a 20 year old fairly new birde who had no experience at cookeing a turkey, I left the bag of "guts" in the bird. Our company came about 1 hour after I put it in the oven. She was to make the gravy." Where are the liver, and giblets? she asked." I don't know" I responded. "Did you take the bag from inside the turkey?" she asked. "What bag?" I responded. She pulled the turkey out of the oven, and, lo and behold, there was a bag inside MY turkey. From then on, she called my Thanksgiving turkey,"  Stuffed".

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,923
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 3:16 PM

Ginny,

That is what I do as well. Sure going to miss my cooking this year. Not the best cook but I do like the Thanksgiving feast.  Goodness, I'm getting hungry.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,374
Points 48,750
Ginny replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 3:39 PM

Ramona,  Aren't you going to eat this year?  or are you going away for Thanksgiving.?  I thought you were in Fla to watch over your Mom.?    Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:00 PM

I cook the dressing in the bird and cook it very very slowly.  It is a joke in the family how tender my turkey dinner is - most years it is difficult to get it out of the pan intact - the bones usually are left behind as the meat just falls off... DH just loves it.  My DMIL when she was here told my DFIL that if he one more time asked for my turkey dinner that he could go out the front door and not to let it hit him in the you know where... I was told later that DMIL couldn't cook a turkey to save her life and DFIL couldn't shut up about mine... I just never have understood how someone can mess up a turkey though - as I don't do anything to it - I stuff it with dressing - put it in the oven and then many hours later pull it out of the oven.  I never get that basting tool out and drip the juices over it - I just let it cook... 

I absolutely love Thanksgiving though - the one day of the year that I absolutely love to cook and do not accept invitations to go anywhere... Last year we did go to my son's but guess who was cooking - my son told his wife to just sit back and enjoy... she had no problems with it - she had eaten at our house and her parents came and her Mom was very complimentary to me - I was actually surprised that my son was so adamant that they let me cook and prepare the meal... I don't think of it as work though - having done it for so many years I have a system - and that means I spend more time in the living room gabbing with everyone else then actually in the kitchen anymore... it is all timed to the minute and everything gets done at the same time... 

One thing that makes it easier is the refrigerator home made rolls - you make home made rolls but the dough is made the day before and you just refrigerate it - pull it out - no kneeding required and shape into the type of roll you want - let it rise and then bake... making the rolls used to take me the most time... I do prepare the casseroles and the cranberry sauce in the days ahead too - so that on Thanksgiving day it is just a matter of pulling it all together...

Oh I am getting hungry for turkey... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:40 PM

Thea I'm coming to your house for Thaksgiving LOL.. My son would kill me for that, but you have my mouth watering.   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 373
Points 4,980
Annette replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:46 PM

Thanksgiving is at our house and usually is just us.  This year 2 of my 4 boys (and one DIL) will be here.   I'll spend part of Wed doing baking (my youngest wants to bake the pies this year) and prepping and early Thurs morning cooking.   We usually eat early to mid afternoon.   My husband works Thanksgiving night (use to be retail and worked the day), but he'll get up for awhile to eat.   One tradition we started when the kids were younger was to go to a movie after we eat (later afternoon/early evening).   Kids always thought that was a treat.   The votes are already in to see 'Wreak-it Ralph' this year.   When we get home, we're then ready for the pie and ice cream.   I've gotten up early Fri to do shopping (my oldest use to stand in the cutting line for me at Jo-Anns) in previous years, but I'm trying not to hit the stores on Thanksgiving.   Thurs/midnight sales I think are ruining what is suppose to be 'family' holiday.

Annette

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 245
Teresa replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:27 PM

Hi Frances,  I'm a Brit too but live across the briney in Washington State.  Thanksgiving is very much like our Christmas...big turkey dinner with all the trimmings, pumpkin pie and/or other yummy desserts for afters, and time to get together with friends and family.  Traditionally the boys sit around in the afternoon and watch one of the American football games while the girls chat and do the dishes (something wrong with that picture!!!).  Also there are usually big parades in the cities in the morning - especially the Macy's Parade in New York City.

I originally hail from the east coast - Suffolk.....y'all roight gal?   lol!

Teresa

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,114
Points 410,999
gini replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:36 PM

hi tee4too, welcome to the group.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:48 PM

Barbara:

Thea I'm coming to your house for Thaksgiving LOL.. My son would kill me for that, but you have my mouth watering.   Barbara

The more the merrier and tell Paul he can come too!  Rita and Mary will be here and the bird is thawing in the refrigerator - have all the fixins ready to go and making some mouth watering desserts the next couple days... Home made rolls and home made everything - I do make home made cranberry sauce and open a can of the jelly too...teehee... I just love watching those berries pop...

It is an open house so the more that come the more fun we have...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Hi Teresa, it is nice to meet you.  I started the 1st grade in England. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 295
Points 6,165
amber2009 replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 6:04 PM

Marie:

As for Black Friday, never did it and would not even think of doing it.  It's one tradition this world could do without.

I couldn't agree more. If I didn't work in retail I probaly wouldn't be getting out. Unfortunatly I have to be at work at 8 pm Thursday night to get to get ready for the "crowd".

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 12:41 PM

We celebrate starting Wednesday night going to church service with communion.  It is always so special seeing your friends and wishing everyone well and lifting up God with praise and worship.  So looking forward to tonight's service.

Menu in days gone by

Turkey with stuffing (bread)

dressing (cornbread)

mashed potatoes

sweet potatoes with pecans and marshmallows

brussel sprouts

cranberry relish (whole cranberries, made fresh)

corn

green bean casserole

homemade yeast rolls and cinnamon rolls

pumpkin pie (not canned pumpkin)

pecan pie

My Menu at my house now

fresh salad greens/mushrooms with blue cheese vinagerette

Prime rib roast (with ribs)

horseradish sauce

roasted potatoes/carrots/onions/caraway seeds/garlic/olive oil

brussel sprouts (oven roasted with rosemary and olive oil)

fresh rolls and cinnamon rolls

pumpkin pie (fresh pie pumpkin) or apple/cranberry pie

Wishing you all a very Blessed Thanksgiving and for those of you traveling may God see you all home safe and stuffed!

Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use