Top 10 Posters

Favorite quilt Block

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers

Posted: Fri, Nov 9 2012 11:31 AM

Just being nosey, was wondering if any of you have a favorite quilt block. Or like the looks of a certain quilt block.  I love New York Beauties. Also The Rob Peter To pay Paul type of blocks. Anything appliqued..  I thought it would be fun to hear others opinions.  Thanks. Also helps me hopefully with my secret Santa Giftee, since they didn't really answer that question.  And I can not ask them... Hopefully I will get lots of answers, and they will be one of them!!

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Candis, I really like the log cabin and yet have not made one for 30 years.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,359
Points 242,262
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 11:42 AM

Oh gosh Candis, Way back - years and years ago - I loved the double wedding ring block - it was so complicated and meant so much to me - always wanted one and still want one as the ones I have made always go to someone else...teehee...

But now - I truly love to piece - but I truly love applique too - I love the lone star block - I love almost all the star blocks... one of the star blocks that I especially like is the Friendship star just by what it means... 

I love the log cabin blocks like Spud does - the meaning behind that little block in the center is nice - and the nine patch and the disappearing nine patch.  

I guess you could say I love them all and that the one I am working on at any given time is the one I like the best at that time.  

I have my Northern Woods blocks up on the wall right now and looking at them - each one different - there are some that truly make me smile - the Bear Paw is a neat block - the mountains is another - ocean waves - the windmill block - the basket block - 

I am just a quiltoholic and can't say that there is anyone specific block or type that appeals to me ... I truly love them all and love learning about when they were created and sometimes you get to learn the why a new block came about... 

I love it when it is a mistake and you create something totally new...teehee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:04 PM

log cabin and anything applique

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:08 PM

Candis ,I guess I'm kinda with you ,I love to PP and the compass block are always so fabulous when finihsed.  So I guess I'm saying the compass blocks.   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Candis,

I mostly try to do non-traditional quilts, but that being said the Wonky Log Cabin is my favorite block with which to play.

Max

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 109
Points 1,005

It is hard to just pick one, I like old-fashioned blocks. I like to make quilts with the 1930's reproduction fabrics probably because they remind me of quilts my grandmothers made. One of my favorites would have to be Sunbonnet Sue.  I have a picture of one of my grandmother's wearing a sunbonnet which she had made for herself to wear on the farm. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 4:16 PM

Candis

I have several favorites....LOL>  Love the Mariner's compass, Grandmothers Flower Garden, New York Beauties, Drunkard's Path.    The only quilt that I have managed to make so far out of these is the Mariner's Compass..I still need to get it quilted though..LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 4:18 PM

Oh and Applique.  Love anything appliqued.

Vinton, Virginia

replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 7:25 PM

I love everyone's choices!  I also love seeing what people like, thanks for answering. Anybody else got favorites?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 702
Points 11,565
Bev replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 7:47 PM

I like the Balkan Puzzle and the Antique Tile blocks. Right now I am liking the nine patch which I am using for a Irish Chain Quilt. I am looking forward to the Log Cabin Block and am sure I will like it too. I have decided that I LOVE making larger blocks with larger squares . I am so not ready for anything more complicated

from TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,456
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:14 AM

Anything with stars in it.  I love the way stars make your eyes move around the quilt.  And anything set on point.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 5:22 AM

I love the old DOVES IN THE WINDOW block, the one that really looks like doves I have been working on trying to make this block for awhile now, I have a some what pattern that came from the Kansas City star newspaper, has alot of Y seams one day I will get it accomplished lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,384
Points 175,243
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 9:49 AM

Leslie :
has alot of Y seams

Leslie, you should check out F & P for a "partial seam" tutorial, it's easy.   Matter of fact, maybe youtube has a few, check it out.  

Millbury, MA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 376
Points 5,040
Annette replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 5:46 PM

If I had to pick one particular block, I would say the log cabin.   This was the block of the first quilt I did and also an easy one to start out with sewing wise but also a good pattern to learn the concept of color contrast.   However, I think all blocks/patterns are just a outline.    Its the fabric choices that make the block come alive.   Depending on what patterns, colors, tones, texture, and values are - the same block can look very different.   I could look at several quilts with the same block pattern, but its the ones with that certain fabric or color that really 'speak' and catch my eye.

Annette

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use