Top 10 Posters

Flannel Quilt-batting vs no batting

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
42 Posts
Points 690
Hcim55 posted on Tue, Nov 6 2012 6:49 AM

Wondering....... I am putting together a lap quilt that is a flannel top and will have a flannel backing.   Question....do I layer the quilt with batting or just quilt to layers together?  I am thinking of just adding a thin polyester batting.

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
42 Posts
Points 690
Verified by Hcim55

Thanks so much.......very helpful!

• | Post Points: 5

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,342 Posts
Points 46,405

Hello 55. I personally put some batting in my flannel quilts,  a thin cotton batting because I like working with it. Now if your flannels were pre washed, poly would be fine, otherwise I would be concerned that the flannel will shrink in the wash and not the batting.  I know that the flannels don't shrink as much as they used to but it's a risk you take.  I hope we will be able to see your quilt soon.  Oh I forgot, is it a baby quilt that will be washed lots? If so a poly/cotton blend or just poly would be great.  Now remember this is just my opinion and I'm no quilt police...lol. Good luck. And welcome.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998

Yes, use batting.  Poly works great for a warm quilt.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998

Angele:

Hello 55. I personally put some batting in my flannel quilts,  a thin cotton batting because I like working with it. Now if your flannels were pre washed, poly would be fine, otherwise I would be concerned that the flannel will shrink in the wash and not the batting.  I know that the flannels don't shrink as much as they used to but it's a risk you take.  I hope we will be able to see your quilt soon.  Oh I forgot, is it a baby quilt that will be washed lots? If so a poly/cotton blend or just poly would be great.  Now remember this is just my opinion and I'm no quilt police...lol. Good luck. And welcome.

For a flannel rag quilt, you don't want to prewash the flannel.  Poly batting works great.  You want to get the shrink.  I have made dozens of rag quilts with a variety of batting.  It all works.

Not Ranked
42 Posts
Points 690
Verified by Hcim55

Thanks so much.......very helpful!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Jeanine:
Yes, use batting.

Good to hear this.  I'm making a flannel rag quilt right now and I was a bit worried over how heavy it's feeling with batting, but another Minnesota winter will be here soon, so let's get snuggled!  I was also recently advised to do the first two washings at the laundromat so I don't clog our septic system with all the fuzz.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675

Angele,

I personally prefer the batting in flannel quilts. I recently made several flannel quilts with batting. My Mom doesn't like the weight of a quilt so I did not add the batting in hers.  I do not like the way the quilt looks without the batting.  Changes the look of the quilting.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998

MNnancy:

Jeanine:
Yes, use batting.

Good to hear this.  I'm making a flannel rag quilt right now and I was a bit worried over how heavy it's feeling with batting, but another Minnesota winter will be here soon, so let's get snuggled!  I was also recently advised to do the first two washings at the laundromat so I don't clog our septic system with all the fuzz.

Laundry mat front loader is what I do.  Never use a home top loader.  I learned this the hard way.  I have a front loader now and sneak a few in but it doesn't clog as much.

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 50

If it is a panel or whole cloth quilt, I do not always add batting.  It makes a delightful receiving blanket or summer throw...but if it is pieced, I definitely add batting or the seams are pokey.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use