Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 225
bixler Posted: Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:21 AM

Hello,

I am fairly new to quilting; I have made 2 wall hangings, a TV quilt for my granddaughter and am currently working on a queen size bed quilt for hubby (the yellow brick road pattern).  I am also in a block of the month working on the Amish With a Twist quilt at my local quilt shop here in Arnold, Mo.  I purchased a pattern yesterday when I was in St. Charles, Mo.  There was a sample on the quilt shop wall and I fell in love with it.  The pattern is Star Spin Quilt by Oregon Treasures.  I have also seen this quilt on the Amish web sites and it is gorgeous.  However, after looking through the pattern, it seems very confusing.  Has anyone ever attempted this quilt?  Do you think perhaps I need a little more experience before I attempt this quilt?  Any responses would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks so much for listening

Sandy

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,869
gini replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:47 AM

hi sandy,  it isn't hard, but you do need to make  set-in seams.  if you are comfortable with the projects you have already made, go to you-tube and find some videos on set-ins. watch a couple of them, then go for it.

if you don't try out new techniques, you'll never learn them.  even "old pro" quilters balk at set in seams.   that is until you do an entire quilt out of them.   once you get a few blocks  under your belt, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,869
gini replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:49 AM

set-in seams go a bit slower that just straight line piecing, and i think that we are so focused on production that we forget how rewarding it is to take the time to do a more complicated pattern. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Hi Sandy and nice to meet you! I have not tried it but agree with gini, you never know until you try. Maybe try making a block to see how it goes. When you do I hope you will share a picture.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 225
bixler replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:29 PM

Thanks Gini, I will look at some videos.  I am not going to attemp this until the new year.

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 225
bixler replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:30 PM

It will be a few months, but I will do that.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 754
Points 11,295
weezee56 replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 12:36 AM

bixler:
The pattern is Star Spin Quilt by Oregon Treasures. 

Hi Sandy,

Have you ever watched any of the Quilty videos? They are free videos and Marianne Fons did one on the spinning star. I think this is the same block that you are talking about.They show you step by step what to do. They make it look easy, or at least not so hard. I hope this helps..

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hello Sandy, I have done several pieced blocks using the 'y' seam. it is feared by most as "un able to learn". Well I am here to tell you it is a step by step process, but it is slow but very rewarding. here is the best video I have found today while looking for you. If you do the steps correct you will not have any real problems.

NOTE: the tool that Jinny Beyer Studios  is using might be something to invest a few dollars for, I do not own one but I would buy it if I had the urge to make another quilt with the 'y ' seams. 
there are so many patterns that have eliminated the set in seam, that I doubt I will do another. I just don't want to spend that much time on another one. the tumbling block or stained glass windows are beautiful and you should work one for your self. I have not done the star spin quilt, however I did look at the pattern, and it looks a bit advanced, with so many sizes of the blocks and the 'y' seam, perhaps you might want to start by doing just a few single blocks for practice using  all cotton just not the good stuff from your quilting fabrics. Cutting the pieces will be just as important as the stitching.
Remember to Breathe.. we love a challenge and we love to see how others progress through the learning. post questions again as you start and pictures of the blocks or any problems with the blocks. someone here will step in to help.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:04 AM

Here is the link to the Quilty video that Weezee spoke of...

Quilty Spinning Star

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,095
Points 24,675
Agnes replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 9:03 AM

I just checked the video. Don't shoot me but Y seams and partial seams are two totally different methods. There is no Y seam in this block, just partial seams. Partial seams are much easier to execute than Y seams. So my answer is to go ahead and enjoy. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 12:34 PM

click here to view larger image of Star Spin (PATTERNS)http://quiltingbookspatternsandnotions.com/~elaine/publishers.php?category=Oregon%20Treasures
Agnes, you are right, I couldn't get pattern information and was going by what I could see on the sleeve. , now I now this is easier than a 'y' seam, card tricks are done this way as well, yes? and I know there is another new pattern out was at market for no set seams for the card trick, but again I digress, another block all together. so the quilty video is the one for Sandy to see? thanks MN Nancy

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Hi,

I was seaching the internet for problem solving on this exact quilt pattern you have shown here.  It is very difficult and the directions are not too clear.  I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions about the medium blocks in this pattern.  Is the center cut  just like the center cut on the large block?  Do you use the same measurement of 1 2/3" in the center cut as the large block?  How do you make the outside edging for this(medium) block?  It looks like I need a template like "BG" only smaller?  If anyone has any suggestions here please let me know.

I am making this for a "world relief" money maker auction.

Thanks, Sue

central,  IL

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 55
Sheila replied on Thu, Feb 20 2014 3:48 PM

You are correct in that the instructions are not clear.   The instructions refer to templates that do not exist  --- I did not get any templates with my pattern.   Very confusing.  I read the instructions completely over and over before I finally attempted to cut any fabric!!!        I am making my own templates and so far have been able to get the center piece almost done.      One hint if anyone is reading this:   Make sure all your pieces are the same size.     I see this post is from last year.  Did you post pictures of the finished quilt?  

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use