Top 10 Posters

CIVIL WAR BLOCK OF THE MONTH QUILT ( celebrating 150 years)

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Fri, Jan 15 2010 11:15 AM

Althea,

if you ever decide you don't want to complete it, I would be glad to take it off your hands!  I love all colors and have a very bright loft that is most suitable to dark colors.  Wishful thinking, HUH?

Actually I plan on makeing a sampler quilt (queen size) in the not too distant future.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,479
Carol replied on Fri, Jan 15 2010 5:41 PM

Thanks thea,

I would like to read it. LQG has large library. I'm going to see if they have it. If not I'll buy it

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 15 2010 5:44 PM

If you do the BOM for this quilt you get:

• Detailed cutting and piecing instructions to make the blocks needed for that month;

• Historical notes about key battles in the Civil War including source material and quotations from prestigious university libraries including Duke University, Notre Dame, and others;

• A swatch chart so you can identify the fabrics used in the blocks.

I like this because I would learn some US history without feeling like learning history (my least favourite subject). I'm searching around for a full kit that I could purchase later.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,479
Carol replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 2:57 AM

Kris:

If you do the BOM for this quilt you get:

• Detailed cutting and piecing instructions to make the blocks needed for that month;

• Historical notes about key battles in the Civil War including source material and quotations from prestigious university libraries including Duke University, Notre Dame, and others;

• A swatch chart so you can identify the fabrics used in the blocks.

I like this because I would learn some US history without feeling like learning history (my least favourite subject). I'm searching around for a full kit that I could purchase later.

Kris,

My brother works in the State Archives and is a civil war buff. I get a lot of info from him.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 9:21 AM

Kris

Living in Virginia history just kind of sinks in like osmosis.  So much of our early history began here and a huge portion of the civil war was fought here.  It i a beautiful state rich in history.  My favorite place to go is Colonial Williamsburg.  The town has original buildings from the 1700s and all the people who work there are in period dress.  Everything is still made the way it was when the town was established....so fun to visit.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 12:07 PM

Nana,

I always wanted to go to Colonial Williamsburg. Never did while I lived in VA but hope to get there some day. I'm currently reading a book that is set during the civil war. It's historical fiction though.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 2:13 PM

nana, i love williamsburg. one of my favorite stops there is the abby aldrich rockefelller folk art museum.    the exhibits in the textile area are unbelievable.   i was there one time when a group of 11 year old girl scouts were given a tour and they opened all the drawers for them.   wow.   we followed those girls around for an afternoon, looking at all the hidden treasures with them.  what a treat.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 9,969
Jean replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 2:30 PM

I fell in love with this quilt the first time I saw it.  Haven't found a way that you can purchase the pattern without being in one of the BOM's by LQS's carrying it.  It is a very large quilt and I am truly considering doing it.  I love Civil War Era reproductions of all kinds though, so that is naturally why I fell in love with this quilt!

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 2:51 PM

Gini

I would have been in heaven.  One of my favorites is the bakery....love the gingerbread and apple cider....Yummy.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 2:52 PM

Jean

I too love the Civil War era reproductions.  That era was always a favorite of mine.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 2:57 PM

oh, well, the food!   that's the main reason we travel.    the food was very good there.   the second time we were there, was after the hurricane and there  was no electricity.   sam was going to  skip it, and i told him that williamsburg was founded well before electriciy and it would be fun.   sure enough most everyting was runniing.  the kitchens there were feeding all the crew, so it was especially fun to watch the kitchens work.        gni

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 2:59 PM

Gini

I bet that was fun.  Some of my favorite tours have been the special after hours tours.  It feels like you have been transported back in time.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 3:03 PM

nana, i didn't know that was an option.    i would love to go back with just sam and i some day.  it's a long trip for us and there are so many other places we want to go, too.    i had a friend that worked at woodland park zoo, with the gorilla's, we couldn't get a tour with the gorilla's because they didn't want us spreading our germs to them.  but she took us behind the scenes in several other areas,  way cool.   you get to see things you don't even think about or imagine.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 4:40 PM

Gini

They do an after hours court room reenactment at Williamsburg that is unbelievable.  They also do a ghost walk that is really neat.  Everytime I go I see or learn something different.

I bet it was way cool to do behind the scenes at the zoo.  I love going to see all the animals.  They have an area at Disney in Animal Kingdom where you can watch the vet checks thru glass walls..pretty neat and interesting.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 6:23 PM

Jean:

I fell in love with this quilt the first time I saw it.  Haven't found a way that you can purchase the pattern without being in one of the BOM's by LQS's carrying it.  It is a very large quilt and I am truly considering doing it.  I love Civil War Era reproductions of all kinds though, so that is naturally why I fell in love with this quilt!

Jean,

you can by the patterns only from Homestead Hearth

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use