Burlap

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
76 Posts
Points 1,330
Jacquelyn posted on Sun, Oct 28 2012 3:26 PM

Making christmas tree skirts and so far turned out perfect but a few days ago I bought 4 yds of green burlap for another one and there is a odorl I can't seem to get out. I have let this air out for a few days but the oder is still there. This is the first time for this the others were a natural color and no order, can I put this in the bath tub w/ a small amount of soap  ,would this help

Jacque

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 3:58 PM

i would put it in a tub and try.  cold water shouldn't hurt it.  we had burlap sacks laying outside and they held up pretty well.  probably not the same quality of burlap we got grain in.   it will soften and be a bit "looser/ floppier"  with the sizing out of it.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Jacque, it sure shouldn't hurt. I saw the other day that one of the name brand laundry soaps had fabrize in it, that might help also. I hope you get it figure out, let us know how it works.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
76 Posts
Points 1,330

Well in the tub it went after it dries outside I'' let you know and if not I will use it for outside in the garden and buy another 4 yds of something else. Thank you Gini

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825

Jacque, I wish I had an answer for you. Sadly, I don't. I know I have been around very strong smelling burlap before, but it was old. I bought 2 yards recently, of the natuural, for pillows, lamp shade covers and picture frame covers but it has no other odor then just an earthy smell. They sell buralp at Walmart that is dyed. I will have to give it a sniff. Where did you purchase this burlap? 

You might try the blog "a mum 'n the oven". She has tips on everything under the sun. She might have that one too.

Good luck.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:06 AM

It is possible the odor comes from the dye used in your burlap.  I also suggest rinsing in a nice strong vinegar...that might help to eliminate the odor.GODD LUCK!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
76 Posts
Points 1,330

I bought it at Hobby Lobby and it hung outside all yesterday and the smell is still there even after I soked it in the tub...Oh well looks like my garden will have some for winter and I'll buy  some beige lenen and start all over.

Jacuqe

Top 500 Contributor
Female
76 Posts
Points 1,330

LaJuan,

I went through 57 blogs and there are 200 can you narrow this blog down by name of blogger for "a mum's in the oven

thank you

Jacque

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825

Jacquelyn:

LaJuan,

I went through 57 blogs and there are 200 can you narrow this blog down by name of blogger for "a mum's in the oven

thank you

Jacque

Sorry. http://mumntheoven.com. That is the website. She is also on Facebook: Mum 'n the oven.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825

http://amumntheoven.blogspot.com

Sukochi

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use