Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 43 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,614
Points 119,425
Judy Taylor-Bellingham Posted: Fri, Oct 26 2012 3:06 PM

OK, this subject has been visited before. But I'm in the market for a new iron. Several have said "No more expensive irons".  

A few months ago I bought an inexpensive Hamilton Beach. It's a nice size, easy to turn the steam on and off and heats quickly. But it will steam for a bit and then stop, then start and it's driving me crazy. I'm a steamer person. I found I have to keep the water full for it to steam and even then it starts and stops.

Joann's has their irons at 30% starting Sunday. Since it's not a coupon, I'll be able to use my 10% on top of that.

I want an iron that isn't too huge, steams nicely and heats quickly.  Nana said her expensive Rowenta didn't last, Spud said the same thing about a Reliable. 

Does anyone recommend any of the irons that Joann's carries? Or do I just put up with the B&D I already have.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Judy, I'm sorry I cannot help you much. I just don't think they make any of them to work well and last long...that is why I will not spend a bunch of money on an iron again. I really like my classic dry iron, but you said you like the steam so that will not work for you. Sorry!!!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,365
Points 242,482
Thea replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 3:26 PM

Judy, I have a Rowenta I bought on sale and we used it at the retreat - first time it was used for any length of time and it worked great.  I also have a Shark that they sell at Wal-mart and it is great - both irons cost me the same amount - about $50.  I got the Rowenta on sale though.  I can say I would buy another Shark as I really do like it and they have a less expensive one that they use out at Liz's quilt shop and it is great also.  It turns itself off but heats up very quickly and the steam is great - I do have to fill it often though as it uses the water up quickly or so it seems to me - might be a normal length of time though.  

The Rowenta I have worked really great at retreat.  

I had a Reliable and it died before it was a year old.  I also had the Iron that lifts by itself and in the beginning I liked it but then it would lift and drop at the most inconvenient times.  I wish I could remember the name - Oliso I think - Liz and Mary Fons use it on the program.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,614
Points 119,425

Thanks Spud and Thea. I've been reading reviews on Amazon and on Joann's. The Oliso seems to leak, the Reliable isn't, well, reliable, the Rowenta lasts only a year. What's a girl to do?? I just fired up my B&D and now it won't heat!!!  Good grief, it's only a few months old. It gets warm and that's all. So I really do need to get an iron and quickly.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,722
Points 38,405
ls2116 replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 4:09 PM

I seen a shark at k mart it looked good.  otherwise i keep my eyes on resale shops .  I also have an oreck and it doesn't seem to be working.  so i'm using an old sunbeam.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,406
Points 415,664
gini replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 4:14 PM

i got a rowenta at a yard sale a year or two ago and it is still going strong.  have you looked in the thrifts?   for a few bucks each, you could get several irons try them and keep the one you like best

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 801
Points 16,020
Sue replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 4:53 PM

HI Judy,

Good luck on getting an iron that you like and that works!  I've several in the past two years and the one I like the best is the one I inherited from my Mom in 2001!  It's a General Electric, Light 'n Easy that has spray, steam and dry.   Look in the thrift shops for them as I've not seen one in a store in years. 

I do not steam, but, that said, sometimes I will "sprinkle" like we used to do when we were kids and mom said that the ironing needed to be done after yesterdays wash, if you are old enough to remember that, ROFLOL!  Boy am I giving away my age!  Anyway the other iron I use sometimes now is from WalMart, its a Black and Decker, gets hot at first then cools down then heats up again, so I only use it when I travel. Another place to look is at Lowe's, where they have appliances.  Don't know if Home Depot carries irons, there is no home depot in our town.

Let us know what you finally settle on.

In the Piney Woods of East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Judy I have a Rowenta professional LUXE I bought in 2002 I use it every day It steams well and it is  heavy . originally purchased to do appliqué iron ons. I bought it at Linens and things, of course there is none here in Texas, don't know if they are still in business, I don't know if Joanns carries that one. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Rowenta-DM-880-Professional-Luxe-Iron/1541384/product.html

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Judy I have a Rowenta professional LUXE I bought in 2002 I use it every day It steams well and it is  heavy . originally purchased to do appliqué iron ons. I bought it at Linens and things, of course there is none here in Texas, don't know if they are still in business, I don't know if Joanns carries that one. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Rowenta-DM-880-Professional-Luxe-Iron/1541384/product.html

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Sue:
Good luck on getting an iron that you like and that works!  I've several in the past two years and the one I like the best is the one I inherited from my Mom in 2001!  It's a General Electric, Light 'n Easy that has spray, steam and dry.   Look in the thrift shops for them as I've not seen one in a store in years.

Sue, I had one of those and it was the best iron I ever had. I gave it to my daughter when she went off to college and I still regret doing so. I should have bought her a new one and kept mine...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,531
Points 51,085
Ginny replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 5:15 PM

Judy I have a Tfal iron . I have had this one for about 4 years.  I had one prior to that also for about 6 years before it got knocked off the ironing board, but that one was beginning to not steam well. So after the fall, I got a new one.  I have been thru about 4 Rowentas and none of them did well after about 1 year, either leaked or just wouldn't steam right or spotted my fabric.  That ismy 2cents worth, for whatever it is worth.  I bought mine on Amazon, I believe, but I think Penney's also carried them.    Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 801
Points 16,020
Sue replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 5:20 PM

Spudgrandma,

I really love this iron and I thank my family that non of them wanted it when we cleaned out the house after Mom passed,  I think I got the best deal ever when I took it home with me!

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Yep, and not only is it a good iron I bet you think of your Mom every time you use it...what a blessing.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 6:03 PM

I have my grandmother's iron that I wouldn't give up for any amount of money.  I don't use it very often, but when I want a really, really hot iron, it comes out.  It's a steam iron that is so old, the cord is wrapped with fabric.  Now that is a really old iron.  It still works great.  It got a lot of use when my grandmother had it because she took in ironing for other people to make extra money for the family.  I buy cheap everyday irons because I've had 2 expensive ones and they just don't last.  And of course, I still have the old iron for my backup.

Diana in East Tn.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,365
Points 242,482
Thea replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 6:37 PM

I think right now I would recommend the Shark - mine works great and I have had it for over a year - I do like the Rowenta that I got on sale too - although like I said I have only used it at the retreat - I keep it in the box for classes and retreats and things like that - my Shark gets used every day.  

I did like my Reliable - but never understood why it quit working - I had spent so much on it that I decided never to spend that much on an iron again - I have used B&D irons for years - didn't matter if they got knocked off the ironing board cuz they were so cheap - that was when I bought the Oliso and then the Reliable - after them I went to the Shark - not much money but not super cheap either - I do recommend it - it gets very very hot which is what i like when I am pressing fabric - I want the wrinkles gone with one swipe and it does that - and pressing - it is good - don't have to worry about distortion at all cuz there is no ironing - and I like how it heats up very quickly and I don't have to worry about turning it off - does that on its own too.

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use